Why is my new Nem hiding?

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought my first RBT nem about two weeks ago. It was from a vendor that treats all his nems before sale so he had it for about three weeks before selling it to me. I acclimated it, turned off all flow for about 3 hours and placed it at the bottom of the tank. He walked up the rock about 2" , stayed for 2 days then walked down and crawled in a cave. I left him there for 4 days(very hard to remove) then removed him and placed on tank bottom(I run bare bottom). He immediately opened up, looks healthy, no gaping, bubbles on tentacles. Then started walking again. Every time I uncover, move him back into the light he walks again into cover. I run 4 T5 tubes, 48" long on a standard 75 gal. I can't fathom this being too much light but is it. Flow is a single gyre 350 in the back corner, tank is set up as a peninsula, so flow is around a rock structure centered lengthwise in the tank. Flow is set at random pulse, max 30% so far. I had it at 80% prior to introducing the nem and still had all other softies and LPS happy, no stress. Any ideas are appreciated as I'm new to RBT's, thanks.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
they often do this. They are seeking proper light and flow in a given area of tank. you can turn rock where it is hiding but do let it take it course. well it areas and presence of food will keep them in a certain spot.
If you haven't, do feed it. May be enough to make it want to come out more.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to let it be. It will go where it wants. The more you mess with it the less successful you will likely be.

OP
OP
tripdad

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I've listened and just let it be. It has remained hidden under a ledge since the 12th. How long can I let it go without intervention or it dying? Please advise me. I just don't want to behave ignorantly towards any animal in my care, thanks.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a pic? Does it stretch to the light in the daytime?

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, just let it be. Some people place a nem where they want it to be and it’s stays there forever, and some nems wander forever.

Removing a nem is extremely stressful to the nem as well as a high risk of damaging the foot.

If your water parameters are stable and you have ample light, the nem will take as long as it wants to come out and find its spot.

This is one of those “wait and watch” Reefing moments.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back