Why is my platygyra turning a redish-brown color?

OP
OP
S

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fire shrimp may be coming out at night and irritating it a bit. The lawnmower will start bothering it if it gets any algae on it. Can be irritating. None of this is an issue if it is a healthy coral, but yours is currently in need of healing, so be aware of those possible irritations.
If it is not healing, try making a net around it to keep the shrimp and blenny off it. Just a thought.
I put the lawnmower in last week. The first time I noticed the brown coloration was more than a month ago.

OP
OP
S

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In which of the 2 spots would you place it? (the alveopora got mad because I moved it earlier)

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under that overhang looks good. I would also maybe put a small flat rock under it to get it off the sand a bit. Not that they cannot be on sand, just trying to reduce irritation for it.

OP
OP
S

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lighting schedule also has a big duration. It stars at 8 in the morning from 1% blues, ramps up to 10%w and 40%b at 10:30 from there, ramps up to 40%w and 75%b at 13:30, ramps down to 20%w 80% blue at 18:00 and then ramps down to 0% white 20% blues at 9:30 and then to 0%w 0%b at midnight. Could very much be the lighting... (My lights never stay still at these intensities, they always ramps up or down towards the next step).

OP
OP
S

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under that overhang looks good. I would also maybe put a small flat rock under it to get it off the sand a bit. Not that they cannot be on sand, just trying to reduce irritation for it.
It still is on a frag plug I will move it a bit upwards, thanks for the tip.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this i like under the overhang as well. Hoping for the best for you.

OP
OP
S

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any rubble that could prop it up a bit? The frag plug works but is still a small barrier to the sand bed idk just a thought
I have some uncured rock I will boil a small piece outside (to avoid the dangers) and I will put it in. Thank you guys, I have had in on the sand bed for as long as I had it, it could be that as well...

OP
OP
S

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update guys... after dipping in CoralRX I got these 2 guys out of the platy... They had even dug a whole in it! I don't know if they are to blame but they definitely caused some stress.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thise look like micro brittle stars typically they are harmless and a good additive to cuc but we can only hope it bounces back keep us updated. Can you send a better picture or did you already trash em

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thise look like micro brittle stars typically they are harmless and a good additive to cuc but we can only hope it bounces back keep us updated. Can you send a better picture or did you already trash em
+1 to this

OP
OP
S

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually trashed them already...they were sticking their arms out of the hole and hiding under the frag plug. I managed to remove the fragplug and got them out.. It was the only place I have seen brittle stars in my tank tbh.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well i hope it bounces back ive had some micros before and never had any real issues maybe they were trapped between plug and base of coral when fragged and were looking for an out. Either way hoping for the best.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out search on r2r for micro brittle stars and read on them could help and makes for good info.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back