Why is my sandsifting starfish standing up?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a 3 gallon tank with 2 damsels and a lyre tail anthia plus a sand sifting starfish without the proper sized sand or maturation. I would stop listening to big al's and read up on some very good information members are trying to provide. #reefsquad I would rehome the starfish and the anthia asap.
I think they forgot a 0, likely a 30 gallon tank. But agree, big al isnt giving the best advice in this situation.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 gallon is better but the lyretail and starfish should go. That anthia will get big, needs multiple feedings throughout the day and the starfish needs a mature sand bed too feed on. Even supplemental feeds won't replace the fauna it needs to survive.

Last edited:

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert by any means, but I also have a sand sifting starfish in what appears to be a similar substrate (Caribsea arag-alive black Hawaiian) and he appears to be thriving. My substrate is 3-4" deep. I sometimes only see him every couple of days, as he spends most of his time under the sand/gravel. I've only seen him climb up the glass maybe 2 or 3 times in the two months that I've had him.

I do tend to overfeed and will sometimes bury an algae wafer or shrimp pellet for him. But as often as not, my nassarius snails tend to find them first.

BTW, to the OP, if those fake nems you have in there are silicone, you might consider removing them. I've heard of those slowly dissolving in saltwater and poisoning the tank.
4e1f7b39be0ba1ded7aefa9d80ab75b9.jpg

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sand sifting starfish can take many months to starve unfortunately. If your going to try to supplement feedings I would suggest meaty foods over algae wafers. A smaller grain sand bed is much more preferred as they like to bury under the sand bed. Similar to different sand beds for different fish for proper care.

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DSC reef , I've got to believe that 3 gallons was a typo and meant 30. I say that for the picture and his math of 2 pounds of sand per gallon resulting in 60 pounds.

Agree with having the right sand....and you need to feed that star some meaty foods....they like clams and mussels.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a 3 gallon tank with 2 damsels and a lyre tail anthia plus a sand sifting starfish without the proper sized sand or maturation. I would stop listening to big al's and read up on some very good information members are trying to provide. #reefsquad I would rehome the starfish and the anthia asap.

I’d change from big Al’s and start reading at Live Aquaria.

Most sand critters generally do well with finer substrates.

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@noahg2216 Do you also have a diamond goby (bottom left front corner of your tank)? If so, it is a sand sifter also.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh it's an orange spotted sandsifter he rearranges my sand all the time
If you have another fish store close by I'd recommend getting other advice versus Big Al. A sand sifting star and a sand sifting goby in a new tank without the proper sized sand is not a good recommendation to a new reefer.

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand sifting starfish can starve in a smaller tank. I’d take it out. I actually took mine to a local aquarium and they adopted it. There’s not enough detritus in the sand to feed it and a sand-sifting fish. I have a diamond goby for my 40g and he keeps my sand clean. Plus a few snails that live in the sand. Ask away here. We all want to help!

OP
OP
N

noahg2216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand sifting starfish can starve in a smaller tank. I’d take it out. I actually took mine to a local aquarium and they adopted it. There’s not enough detritus in the sand to feed it and a sand-sifting fish. I have a diamond goby for my 40g and he keeps my sand clean. Plus a few snails that live in the sand. Ask away here. We all want to help!
Thx!

OP
OP
N

noahg2216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank u everyone I just brought it back today

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Nice work on rehoming the anthias and starfish. :)
The sand sifters can take a few months to starve and disintegrate.

It looks like the remaining fish should do well for now. :)

Lol, love the colors on the 'jellyfish'.

Have you had a chance to get any test kits yet?

Salt water tanks are more work than fresh water until you get thwm dialed in. Lots of reading. :)

Feel free to ask lots of questions.
:)

OP
OP
N

noahg2216

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Nice work on rehoming the anthias and starfish. :)
The sand sifters can take a few months to starve and disintegrate.

It looks like the remaining fish should do well for now. :)

Lol, love the colors on the 'jellyfish'.

Have you had a chance to get any test kits yet?

Salt water tanks are more work than fresh water until you get thwm dialed in. Lots of reading. :)

Feel free to ask lots of questions.
:)
And yes I bought the all in one test kit for 50$

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back