Why is my scoly doing this?

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below youll find the picture of my scoly that is receading.... its been like this for maybe 4months now

Alk: 8.6
Calcium: 440
Mag: 1271
Nitrate: 4ppm
Phos: 0.03

Salt was changed to tropic marin pro
Sandbed was thoroughly cleaned
Detritus filled sump got cleaned out
Marinepure taken out
Went through a bout of algae

Icp test:
Vanadium was found at high levels
Aluminum aswell(marinepure was removed and did triton detox, polyfilter aswell before detox)

Im pretty sure those are the big impacting changes... let me know if you need more info! Thank you!

15690365283584789626278028237234.jpg

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Below youll find the picture of my scoly that is receading.... its been like this for maybe 4months now

Alk: 8.6
Calcium: 440
Mag: 1271
Nitrate: 4ppm
Phos: 0.03

Salt was changed to tropic marin pro
Sandbed was thoroughly cleaned
Detritus filled sump got cleaned out
Marinepure taken out
Went through a bout of algae

Icp test:
Vanadium was found at high levels
Aluminum aswell(marinepure was removed and did triton detox, polyfilter aswell before detox)

Im pretty sure those are the big impacting changes... let me know if you need more info! Thank you!

15690365283584789626278028237234.jpg
Have you been feeding it meaty foods once or twice a week?

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been feeding once and twice, should i consistently feed again?
As long as it’s getting something meaty once a week it should be fine in that department.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? How are other corals if any? Did it go down hill before or after all those changes?

Check for any possible rusting components such as magnets in glass cleaners, frag racks, equipment mounts, hose clamps etc.. also check impeller shafts in your pumps.

Any high VOC things like air fresheners, paint, scented candles, perfumes used near tank?

Stray voltage could also potentially be a issue, is your tank grounded?

Your Mag is a little low, bump it up tp around 1400 but that shouldn’t be causing your issues.

Full tank pictures can be helpful.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This can be harmful to livestock if it gets in the water or if there is a temperature change.

I guess when I have tried to calculate the amount of 'VOC' it would take to cause a problem from a 'candle' for example - would be so high - that the room would practically need to be on fire. Though I know its widely quoted. I guess it depends on the size of the tank - and the amount - but when people are adding milliliters of vodka (also a carbon), etc - to try to suggest that carbon from a candle would cause a problem with one coral seems unlikely.

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would this work (depending on the size of the tank)?

Not sure I’m understanding your question or if would even matter as I’m not a chemist.. lol. I’m sure it would be dependent on exactly what the contaminates were and the quantity Vs. Volume of tank.

I have seen many tanks that crashed because of something like a scented candle burning in the same room, you can lots of examples right here on R2R.

I had a similar issue as the OP, tank went down the drain over a few months, I checked for everything multiple times, LPS coming off skeletons, all my coralline died and even my bullet proof softly’s stressed.. I finally found a rusting magnet! Pulled it from tank followed by multiple water changes over a few days, ran lots of carbon and a poly filter tank quickly bounced back with minimal losses.

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? How are other corals if any? Did it go down hill before or after all those changes?

Check for any possible rusting components such as magnets in glass cleaners, frag racks, equipment mounts, hose clamps etc.. also check impeller shafts in your pumps.

Any high VOC things like air fresheners, paint, scented candles, perfumes used near tank?

Stray voltage could also potentially be a issue, is your tank grounded?

Your Mag is a little low, bump it up tp around 1400 but that shouldn’t be causing your issues.

Full tank pictures can be helpful.

Tank is two years old

I had a rusty tube holder thats since been changed
Ill check the impellers but im sure theyre doing fine
High voc not likely as ive educated everyone in the house not to use any

Tank is not grounded

I will give you a photo after work :)

It was slowly going downhill mainly with lps... but that was before the changes and my torches died and acans aswell but now the scoly isnt happy :(

Retro Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess when I have tried to calculate the amount of 'VOC' it would take to cause a problem from a 'candle' for example - would be so high - that the room would practically need to be on fire. Though I know its widely quoted. I guess it depends on the size of the tank - and the amount - but when people are adding milliliters of vodka (also a carbon), etc - to try to suggest that carbon from a candle would cause a problem with one coral seems unlikely.

Yeah.. when reading some of the accounts I have often wondered how a single candle or similar would cause issues however I have personally observed immediate negative effects on my tanks a couple times that my wife or daughter have forgotten and sprayed on perfume in the same room.. nothing devastating but lots of angry corals for a day or so. I have seen more obvious examples where a neighbor stained his deck with a power sprayer on a day the Reefer happen to have their windows open, didn’t end well for the tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure I’m understanding your question or if would even matter as I’m not a chemist.. lol. I’m sure it would be dependent on exactly what the contaminates were and the quantity Vs. Volume of tank.

I have seen many tanks that crashed because of something like a scented candle burning in the same room, you can lots of examples right here on R2R.

I had a similar issue as the OP, tank went down the drain over a few months, I checked for everything multiple times, LPS coming off skeletons, all my coralline died and even my bullet proof softly’s stressed.. I finally found a rusting magnet! Pulled it from tank followed by multiple water changes over a few days, ran lots of carbon and a poly filter tank quickly bounced back with minimal losses.

Yep - I know - there are lots of people whose tanks have crashed and its been suggested that its a 'scented candle'. There are lots of tanks that have crashed without a scented candle burning in the room - the question (to me) - is if you have a 200 gallon aquarium - how much 'chemical' would be absorbed to cause 'death'. There was a recent thread where someone dropped a bit of liquid latex paint into their tank - which quickly dissolved - after a bit - they got advice to change 25 % of the water - and add carbon. Nothing happened.

Im glad you had a good experience with the magnet - and it makes sense - depending on the size of the tank - and the size of the magnet. Burning a candle - or using a spray of air freshener - does not make sense (to me) - its its a large(er) tank. A nano tank of 10 gallons that got a direct spray - might be a problem. (at least this is what I think)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah.. when reading some of the accounts I have often wondered how a single candle or similar would cause issues however I have personally observed immediate negative effects on my tanks a couple times that my wife or daughter have forgotten and sprayed on perfume in the same room.. nothing devastating but lots of angry corals for a day or so. I have seen more obvious examples where a neighbor stained his deck with a power sprayer on a day the Reefer happen to have their windows open, didn’t end well for the tank.

Yet people add pure vodka to their tank. The stuff in perfume, candles, etc - is not thought to be toxic - (by design) - companies do not want to kill people. By the way - one explanation for this is - on such and such a day - someone notices a problem with their tank - then they go looking for potential toxins. There is a bit of problem using this method - because - the problems might have been slowly occurring for days before it was 'noticed'.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back