Why is my skimmer so stinky???

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been usinh my skimmer for about 5 months, it was used and came with the tank but never put it in since then. I was having issues with it overflowing so I took it out and scrubbed out the coralline. Now I'm getting way less skimmate, and the smell is so awful that it stinks up the entire basement like something is rotting on the beach. Even with a full cup of relatively dry skimmate, it never smelled this bad before. What should I do?

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People used to rig activated carbon contraptions that the outflowing air could come out of (think a fancy life with carbon in the top). I haven't seen these recently though.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try putting carbon over the air vent maybe, other than that, more frequent cleaning is the only thing I can think of

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Bubble Mag with holes all around the top of the skimmer cup lid. Do I have to make sure each one is covered by the carbon?
I'm not sure how viable the carbon idea really is, but when I used to work at a warehouse way back, I would put these carbon things in my shoes after work, then rotate them out and put the used ones out in the sun for a day or two. This was pretty good at clearing out my shoes.. lol
No experience for a fishtank though

OP
OP
Chortanator

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how viable the carbon idea really is, but when I used to work at a warehouse way back, I would put these carbon things in my shoes after work, then rotate them out and put the used ones out in the sun for a day or two. This was pretty good at clearing out my shoes.. lol
No experience for a fishtank though

I'll give it a look! Are they dusty? Should I rinse them? I have a coral beauty so I don't want it to get HLLE

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll give it a look! Are they dusty? Should I rinse them? I have a coral beauty so I don't want it to get HLLE
You could probably do it cheaper by buying the cheap activated carbon off amazon or whatever and putting it in pantyhose or some fine netting.. the ones I linked weren't dusty, but they were not food safe (that I am aware of) so I can't really give any advice there

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear I JUST saw an ad for something like this... A skimmer top that had carbon built in, but I can't find it now.

This may help... https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/content/post/md-2015-01-fix-skimmer-smell-with-a-carbon-filter-pad

(And if not, try these ;) )

Screenshot_20220619-122656.png

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok - I think you should be able to use UPS Standard shipping now to Canada. Thanks for your perseverance - I'll give you a little extra discount on your order for the headache : )

Back