Why is my tank so cloudy and green looking

Fish_Tank_J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been very cloudy a green looking since yesterday morning and my ammonia and nitrate levels are high. What should I do?
396f14067022067ccab7057c1c49173d.jpg

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem Prime if you have high ammonia or any other bacteria in a bottle (biospera etc) Petco/Petspmart carries it if you can't get to a LFS. Not sure what's going on here though, but your fish are in danger if ammonia is elevated, esp above 2 ppm.

OP
OP
Fish_Tank_J

Fish_Tank_J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem Prime if you have high ammonia or any other bacteria in a bottle (biospera etc) Petco/Petspmart carries it if you can't get to a LFS. Not sure what's going on here though, but your fish are in danger if ammonia is elevated, esp above 2 ppm.

Thank you for the advice

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? Did you do anything new to it?

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's likely the problem. 3 fish at one time on a newly cycled system is really hard on the bacteria. Get a bottle, or two of nitrifying bacteria ASAP.

This is a life or death situation for your fish if your ammonia is "high". What reading did you get?

tsav87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filter is fine, you just don't have enough bacteria to export the fish's waste from ammonia to nitrate. The rule of thumb when adding fish to a newly, completely cycled system is to add one fish every 7 days. that way you bacteria have enough time to populate and handle the additional bioload.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both bacteria and good carbon should be taken into account here. Is that a yellow tang? Those guys can add a lot of work to your bio filtration

OP
OP
Fish_Tank_J

Fish_Tank_J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filter is fine, you just don't have enough bacteria to export the fish's waste from ammonia to nitrate. The rule of thumb when adding fish to a newly, completely cycled system is to add one fish every 7 days. that way you bacteria have enough time to populate and handle the additional bioload.

Ok thank you I will remember that advice.

OP
OP
Fish_Tank_J

Fish_Tank_J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both bacteria and good carbon should be taken into account here. Is that a yellow tang? Those guys can add a lot of work to your bio filtration

Yes that is a yellow tang he will be put in a bigger tank though when he gets to big for this tank.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that is a yellow tang he will be put in a bigger tank though when he gets to big for this tank.
I’m not gonna bag you for tank size I’m just adding to what @tsav87 is saying that a tang requires a strong established bio filtration to take on that kind of bio load without skipping a beat and in this case it may be skipping a few beats but that’s a lot of water and you have time just do little adjustments not to throw off the bio filter anymore

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think 3 fish would cause that. I think the rock has some major die off going on. I would do a 50% water asap. Give it a few days see if it gets better and change another 50%. The tank is in a cycle for sure and you need to get the ammonia down if you don't want them to die.

OP
OP
Fish_Tank_J

Fish_Tank_J

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a lot of nitrifying bacteria seems to be getting clearer haven’t tested the water yet.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tho there are many factors especially in a new tank
I don't think 3 fish would cause that. I think the rock has some major die off going on. I would do a 50% water asap. Give it a few days see if it gets better and change another 50%. The tank is in a cycle for sure and you need to get the ammonia down if you don't want them to die.
thats what I said but he said it’s been curing for 6 weeks so realistically you wouldn’t add fish till you know your rock and sand are cured and cycled so you wouldn’t get a second round of die off without adding anymore substrate

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back