Why is my torch coral closing and opening?

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t see videos on here :( they don’t load on Apple products :(

dang it! But hes out like this right now

IMG-20191129-WA0007.jpg

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us posted

I moved the little torch yesterday to his new spot! Let me know what you think on flow and placement :)

Also one more thing! I washed my hand with soap about 30 mins ago... i didnt put my hand in the tank but i put my flipper back inside it but my hand has a slight soap smell to it, will this be an issue?

15751635611378648227852747613731.jpg

Attachments

• 20191130_202625.mp4
    16.8 MB

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed that the heads on one side of a torch retract periodically while the opposite heads remain extended. Took me a while to figure out that it's related to the flow changes in my tank from my powerhead programming. Does your flow change throughout the day? (programmed powerheads, random flow generators, etc)?

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed that the heads on one side of a torch retract periodically while the opposite heads remain extended. Took me a while to figure out that it's related to the flow changes in my tank from my powerhead programming. Does your flow change throughout the day? (programmed powerheads, random flow generators, etc)?

I have one mp40 on reefcrest and my gyre on random and thats what it stays at all day!

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved the little torch yesterday to his new spot! Let me know what you think on flow and placement :)

Also one more thing! I washed my hand with soap about 30 mins ago... i didnt put my hand in the tank but i put my flipper back inside it but my hand has a slight soap smell to it, will this be an issue?

15751635611378648227852747613731.jpg
It looks better here. Still keep an eye on it and let us know of any changes in the next few days or a week or so from now.

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the flow alright?
Personally, I think it is still little strong. But that is just my oppinion. Others might say it is a good flow. From what I have been told before, it is best to give them just enough flow to causing a swaying, back and forth motion.

My tank is in moonlight mode right now, and as I mentioned previously, my hammers and frogspawn often shrink up for a bit once the white light goes away and is replaced with the blue. That said, they are in opening back up right now, so you can still see how strong the flow is hitting them right now. Its enough for them to sway gently and rhythmically.

Get @DSC reef 's opinion as well the next time he pops in. He has been a member here for a lot longer than me, so I assume he has been in the hobby longer as well and thus has more experience (i have been keeping aquariums for most of my 31years of life, but I have only had a slatwter tank - and more specifically a reef tank - for about a year now, so I am still learning have much more to improve upon).

MidlifeCrifish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can already tell you, everyone is going to ask if you can get an accurate reading of your phosphates.

Also, what sort of lights are you using? What is the flow likenin your tank?

You say it is extending and closing. Is there a certain time of the day you see it close up? Most of my euphyllias are open am fully extended during the day, but once the light switches over to moonlight settings, they close for a bit before extending again. My hammers more so than my frogspawn. The only other times I ever see them close up us when something aggravates them, like a snail climbing on them, or a fish swimming by them, or me cleaning the glass right by them and stirring up the water with the movement of my scrubber.
Good to know! My torch just closed up within minutes of using my scrubber so i searched this thread

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, mine did the same when acclimating, put it in low light/lower flow and let it acclimate.... if not that, could be a snail, fish, or pest making a nice home. Did you dip it before adding it to your tank?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back