Why is Triton alkalinity in two parts?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I thought this would be an easy question for Google to answer, but I can't seem to find anywhere that explains it. In the Triton Core 7 method part 3 (alkalinity) is split into two different parts. However they quickly say you can combine both parts into one dosing vessel if you like. This leaves me with two questions, that may have the same answer.

1) Why is the alkalinity split into two parts?

2) Is there any benefit/detriment to dosing them in separate containers or dosing them combined out of one container?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I understand the ALK part is part 1, Calcium in part 2, and the trace elements are in 3A, 3B.
If I am wrong I will be scorned heavily here in this thread and profoundly corrected, but that's ok I don't care.

1 and 2 have to be separated as they will react and precipitate, even when dosing.
So you have to dose those parts at different intervals. Just like two part.

3a and 3b will not precipitate when combined with themselves or the other two.

The 3a and 3b has been a topic many times over.
In the end its just a choice of how one wants to dose.

The detriment if there is any, in my mind, is if 3a and 3b are mixed and in one dosing container then you have to calculate it out so that all 4 parts are still equally dosed.
I use an Apex with two Dos units so I have four dosing heads and no concern on the calculations. I have to assume it would be simply calculated out as double what ever you dose parts 1 and 2. YMMV.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh let them chastise. Ha Ha....

I consider myself a lazy reefer in the sense that I don't know the deep dark secrets of the system like the back of my hand, my bad.
Simply the method calls for equal parts of the solutions.
Do I really need to know what solution is what, maybe, but, so far in my system my testing is showing me the results I expect to see.
That may change tomorrow.

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Why is the alkalinity split into two parts?

2) Is there any benefit/detriment to dosing them in separate containers or dosing them combined out of one container?

1) Originally there was a small difference between the 2 parts but this is no longer the case.

2) There is no benefit or detriment either way. Whatever works best for you.

CMO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case one alk dosing head craps out you have a back up ;). But no really, I actually really like having two separate alk dosers on my SPS tank in case there is an issue with one, especially while I'm traveling. Cal and Mag with parts 1 and 2 will be just fine under such a scenario but alk would drop dangerously fast in my tank.

Nice to see Triton folks responding here again!! wohoo

OP
OP
nim6us

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Julian@Triton - Thanks for the reply! I used to dose combined out of the same vessel and then switched to two separate vessels. I swore my tank was doing better because I wasn't combining them. Shows you how much things can get in your head.

@CMO - That's a really valid point. Mag and Cal will survive if the doser craps out, but crashing Alk can be a disaster!

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Originally there was a small difference between the 2 parts but this is no longer the case.

2) There is no benefit or detriment either way. Whatever works best for you.

So both bottles are equal with alk? 9750 per bottle.

pigmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. Components 3a and 3b both contain equal alk (9750 dKH per bottle).

if they're the same thing, why did triton say to mix 3a and b?

if they are NOW the same thing, what's the date they became the same thing? is there mixed inventory out there?

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if they're the same thing, why did triton say to mix 3a and b?

if they are NOW the same thing, what's the date they became the same thing? is there mixed inventory out there?

There has never been an issue from TRITON's side to mix 3a and 3b. By splitting it over 2 parts you can add all components at the same rate which is the simplest way, especially for beginners. We usually tell people they can mix these components together if they want to free up a dosing line but also make them aware that they need to dose twice the amount of the mixed solution. The change was made long before we started our environmental tetra packaging but the same rules apply regardless.

There are a lot of production benefits to splitting the Alk across two parts, for example you can use the same sized containers. Because we are one of the only companies in this industry that actually produce and fill our own products, allowing optimal quality control, these factors are also taken into account when designing our product range

Bartwick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for great info. Is there any difference in the trace elements between parts 3a and 3b or are they exactly the same. As someone just starting with Triton when my Core7 elements arrive in a few days, I plan on manual dosing to start. It would be much easier to dose just 3a or 3b, in double the volume.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back