Why it's good to know your vet when you have seahorses

William_Liebbe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one of my wife’s ponies has developed subcutaneous emphysema (bubble in his tail), and I do some research and find the treatment is Acetazolamide. So I call my friendly vet and explain what I need, and he says sure he will call it into Walgreens for me. Great so I go to Walgreens, and the pharmacy tech tells me “no we don’t have a script for that.” Ok, I call my vet back, and he tells me he did call it in, but if there are any problems, the pharmacist can call him directly. Back into Walgreens and ask to talk with the pharmacist who says “oh you’re the seahorse guy right?” I tell her, yes, and she informed me that she has the script and they have the medicine but “I couldn’t put it in the computer without a name and birthdate.” So this particular seahorse is now named Champ, and I assigned his birthday as 2/13/2016.

:)

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same experience with my Giant Eagle pharmacy when my vet wrote me a script for diamox. Since mine was a handwritten script I just told them the name of the seahorse and when I got her.
By the way, diamox has a shelf life of 3 years and is probably the most effective remedy for GBD in seahorses. It is a good medication to have on hand because the quicker the treatment the more chance of success.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys have some awesome vets. I only wish ours was so accommodating. I cant find any in my area that will provide the medications needed for my fish.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys have some awesome vets. I only wish ours was so accommodating. I cant find any in my area that will provide the medications needed for my fish.
I have been using my vet since 1997 and he is wonderful. It will be a sad day for me when he retires.

kenzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
our local odd pet vet,ex. sees pocket pets, reptiles all..
in addition to being the wildlife rehabber, some of these vets are more open to assist us. hope this helps

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back