Why my duncans acting this way?

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 5 months old. And those 2 duncans i have. One is 1 head its over 2 months old. And one is 1.5 months old. They stretch but their actual tentacles dont come out and stay short. Im just beyond frustrated with their behavior do i move them? They are in 120 par area.

Alk:7.4 (tropic marin salt)
Mag:1315
Calcium:415
Temp:77F
Salinity:1.026
Phosphate:0.04
Nitrate:10

For the people that says give them time. I mean yes all i do is giving them time the one behind i gave it over a month time still puffed up and closed.

20230106_130031.jpg

Attachments

• 20230103_094037.mp4
    39.2 MB
  • 20230107_100133.mp4
    16.9 MB

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There could be multiple factors involved.

This looks like they are getting ample light which is why they may be staying short.

You could try to shade them and see if the tenticles get longer.

Your tank is only 5 months old so i would expect some biodiversity instability might be contributing as well.

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There could be multiple factors involved.

This looks like they are getting ample light which is why they may be staying short.

You could try to shade them and see if the tenticles get longer.

Your tank is only 5 months old so i would expect some biodiversity instability might be contributing as well.
Do u think i should move them?

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread 'Duncan coral acting up.' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/duncan-coral-acting-up.958385/

Why'd your give up on this thread? A bit of advice, take it or leave it... Keep one thread going when you're addressing the same issue. I think you're getting all sorts of advice with no clear history of what's been tried/states etc... You might find it more focused to your needs

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thread 'Duncan coral acting up.' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/duncan-coral-acting-up.958385/

Why'd your give up on this thread? A bit of advice, take it or leave it... Keep one thread going when you're addressing the same issue. I think you're getting all sorts of advice with no clear history of what's been tried/states etc... You might find it more focused to your needs
Because advising to fix a duncan that you usually dont have to feed to keep happy. Is not really the issue here. Trying different foods on the market wont help

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because advising to fix a duncan that you usually dont have to feed to keep happy. Is not really the issue here. Trying different foods on the market wont help
Right but you can choose to take that advice or skip over it, however the history for others to get up to speed and on the same page is there which might help them address the issue from other angles as they've seen what's already been suggested, what you've already tried, etc... Just a thought

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly if you care for my opinion, I think if you just sit back and feed the fish you're tank will stabilize (however you quantify that) and you'll start getting "happy corals". You've been altering things on a frequent basis and each time it moves the goalposts the corals are trying to get to. Your tank the way it is right now without changing anything will grow corals once they finally can relaxe from not having to readjust constantly. You may not even think the things you're doing are significant in any (even adding uv is a change for example) way but the corals may disagree. Just my opinion tho. I wish you luck truthfully

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly if you care for my opinion, I think if you just sit back and feed the fish you're tank will stabilize (however you quantify that) and you'll start getting "happy corals". You've been altering things on a frequent basis and each time it moves the goalposts the corals are trying to get to. Your tank the way it is right now without changing anything will grow corals once they finally can relaxe from not having to readjust constantly. You may not even think the things you're doing are significant in any (even adding uv is a change for example) way but the corals may disagree. Just my opinion tho. I wish you luck truthfully
Couldn't agree more! I learned the hard way just to keep up with good husbandry, regular maintenance, the right critters for the situation, and a tank will usually sort itself out. out.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I'm no arbiter, but @charbel101 I only say this because I read your posts and often don't chime in because there are usually a number of suggestions and I don't want to add to that.

Let me ask you this. Before you mounted them where they are now, did you have them in the sand or on a rack and did they open then?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from the video, it kind of seems like there is no flow at all in your tank, nothing is moving, and I see other unhappy corals. Corals need flow, its very important to them. I would suggest to increase the flow, it will help your tank overall.

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few more ?'s... sorry...while I'm here lol

Do you have other stony corals in the tank?

You said you use TM salt -
  • Classic: Ca: 370-390 ppm, Mg: 1250-1300 ppm, Alk: 9-10 dKH
  • Pro-REEF: Ca: 430-450 ppm, Mg: 1300-1350 ppm, Alk: 7-8 dKH
Which one?

Are you dosing just enough to maintain the alk at 7.4?

When was that last time you calibrated your refractometer/probe that checks salinity?

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few more ?'s... sorry...while I'm here lol

Do you have other stony corals in the tank?

You said you use TM salt -
  • Classic: Ca: 370-390 ppm, Mg: 1250-1300 ppm, Alk: 9-10 dKH
  • Pro-REEF: Ca: 430-450 ppm, Mg: 1300-1350 ppm, Alk: 7-8 dKH
Which one?

Are you dosing just enough to maintain the alk at 7.4?

When was that last time you calibrated your refractometer/probe that checks salinity?
Tropic marin pro reef.

And my duncan looks better today.

Attachments

• 20230109_152000.mp4
    12.7 MB

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 15 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back