Why my PH and Temp graphs has out of order entries?

Paulo Hanashiro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.

I was wondering if anyone had experienced this issue before as this is bugging me for quite some time, The graph suddenly starts to log the most recent entries close to the middle of the graph as you can see below.

Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 8.35.05 pm.png

If I reload the reef-pi, it fixes the problem, but after a few minutes it starts again to log the most recent entries in a similar position in the middle of the graph, instead of the far right side.

Just after the restart:

Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 8.39.07 pm.png

After a few minutes, issue is back:

Screen Shot 2021-08-01 at 8.43.07 pm.png

Any clue on how to get this fixed?

Thanks in advance!!!
Paulo

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, frequently happens to me everytime reefpi restarts. The problem goes away if it runs long enough, around 4-6 hours for me I think.

I think I remember @Ranjib saying it had something to do with the ring structure for the data points or something similar.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this issue persist if you reload reef-pi ?
For me at least, this issue is caused by reloading reefpi, although the previous fault in the graph is fixed, it starts the same problem at a more recent point in the graph.

Also happens if there is no problem and I reload reefpi, then the problem occurs

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me at least, this issue is caused by reloading reefpi, although the previous fault in the graph is fixed, it starts the same problem at a more recent point in the graph.

Also happens if there is no problem and I reload reefpi, then the problem occurs
got it,. what version of reef-pi you are using? I know we had this bug and in older versions where we didn't store the year (usage data) it would cause this issue. Could be we still have some that type of issue..

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got it,. what version of reef-pi you are using? I know we had this bug and in older versions where we didn't store the year (usage data) it would cause this issue. Could be we still have some that type of issue..
I am on 4.1, also have a DS1307 RTC, though i got that in hopes of fixing precisely this problem, so the problem was definitely there before adding the DS1307. I assume @Paulo Hanashiro is also on 4.1 due to the minimum and maximum chart bounds

OP
OP
P

Paulo Hanashiro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this issue persist if you reload reef-pi ?
Hi Ranjib.

Yes, soon after a reef-pi reload (just a few minutes) issue starts again.

I've tried so far:
1-Delete the reading entries in the DB
2-Delete the entire DB
3-Reinstall from scratch (Even Rasbian fresh install)

Had no success with any of the above.

@elysics, last time I reloaded the reef-pi was around 8 hours ago , I just connected to check and issue is there (It is early morning in Sydney/AU).

I've also also tried a few different browsers, I can confirm the issue happens on both Safari and Firefox.
Also across platforms, It happens on Mac, iPhone and iPad.

I'm also running version 4.1

Cheers.
Paulo

OP
OP
P

Paulo Hanashiro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to everyone.

I just noticed the ph-current label on the Top left corner is not showing the actual ph of the Tank.

I also noticed the same behaviour starting to show on the ph-historical (noticeable in the spikes shown in the right corner).

@elysics, I think you're right, I also noticed the misplaced entries are catching up and will eventually meet the right corner of the graph where it was supposed to be. I hope when it gets there it does not restart the drift pattern again.

Below another screenshot for reference:

Screen Shot 2021-08-02 at 1.20.47 pm.png

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a bug. Just to elaborate on the exact nature of this bug, it’s due to a memory trick (to keep it within limits of pi), that we use a ring buffer in the usage data. Which is causing this. This does not implicate the behavior of the controller, as it is solely used for dashboard and not any control logic.

OP
OP
P

Paulo Hanashiro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a bug. Just to elaborate on the exact nature of this bug, it’s due to a memory trick (to keep it within limits of pi), that we use a ring buffer in the usage data. Which is causing this. This does not implicate the behavior of the controller, as it is solely used for dashboard and not any control logic.
Thanks Ranjib.

Do we have any feasible workaround that could work on reef-pi 4.1?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing i can think of is reducing or increasing the number of past usage values (specified in configuration -> telemetry section). But I have not tested this.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back