Why not run UV Sterilizer at low flow 24/7?

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my Reefer 170 is new, it's been running for 4 months, lights out, 4 fish all doing great.

It has not issues, no algae, nothing, sparkling clean.

I'm going to begin to run a UV Sterilizer just to keep it that way, plus I like really clear water.

So why shouldn't I run my UV unit at a very low flow rate to increase the dwell time?? The longer the exposure to UV the more things it's going to neutralize, right??

Any thoughts?? Am I looking at this in the wrong way (which I've been known to do)??

Thanks for the help folks!!

Juan Andrés Botero R

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So why shouldn't I run my UV unit? --> Because will destroy B12, which is needed for zooxanthellae, bacteria, and algae!. I did use UV 24/7 for almost 2 years...!

1614951447331.png

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I run one again it will be with very low flow for maximum dwell time to more thoroughly kill things in the water column. I wouldnt run it 24/7 on a small tank unless I was able to monitor the water temp closely as they will raise the water temp in the tank. I now typically use one in a QT tank only and on a as needed basis as the tank is small and I can monitor the temp that closely.

OP
OP
NJBillyV

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because will destroy B12, which is needed for zooxanthellae, bacteria, and algae!
I've never heard this before, thank you so much for bringing it to my attention. I will have to investigate this more and ask other members if they feel UV negatively effects their reef tank. Of course, I bet there's a way to supplement B12 if that truly is an issue.

I've read thread after thread where people say they would never run a reef tank without them.

Anyone else heard of this?

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my Reefer 170 is new, it's been running for 4 months, lights out, 4 fish all doing great.

I'm going to begin to run a UV Sterilizer just to keep it that way, plus I like really clear water.

So why shouldn't I run my UV unit at a very low flow rate to increase the dwell time?? The longer the exposure to UV the more things it's going to neutralize, right??

Any thoughts?? Am I looking at this in the wrong way (which I've been known to do)??

It sounds like you want the UV to help control algae and keep your water clear. If that is the case, you need to target the correct flow though the UV and that is typically a little faster for what you want. The key being to get enough water flowing though it to make a difference.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only run UV for a couple hours at night. It saves the bulb and most of the harmful stuff I’m trying to limit like dinos are water active after lights go out. Keeping a reef sterile in my opinion is a foolish quest, strive for balance.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is minimum flow needed to cool the bulb. Keep that in mind!

The slower the flow, the quicker the calcium buildup on the quartz sleeve as well.

Just things to consider.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just do exactly as you suggest run it 24/7 and get maximum dwell time for killing power.

But turn the lights on, your fish will like you more, would you like to live in a wet dark box! Lol

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never heard this before, thank you so much for bringing it to my attention. I will have to investigate this more and ask other members if they feel UV negatively effects their reef tank. Of course, I bet there's a way to supplement B12 if that truly is an issue.

I've read thread after thread where people say they would never run a reef tank without them.

Anyone else heard of this?
Selcon is a vitamin supplement for marine fish and invertebrates. Use to help maintain a healthy reef system, increase disease resistance and bost nutritional intake for breeding fish. Combine with freeze-dried or frozen foods or feed to brine shrimp to enhance the nutritional value.

• Contains Omega-3 Fatty Acids, Vitamin C and B12
  • Will NOT alter water chemistry
  • For marine animal use only

SELCON CONCENTRATE INGREDIENTS​

• Selco Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acids; Marine lipids - 200 mg/g
  • Stabilized Vitamin C - 200 mg
  • Vitamine B12 Cyanocobalamin - 240 mcg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a 120 that has a UV sterilizer and I have it plugged into my always on circuit. Reading through this it sounds like that isn't correct. how many hours a day should I be running the sterilizer? Should it turn off with the lights?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a 120 that has a UV sterilizer and I have it plugged into my always on circuit. Reading through this it sounds like that isn't correct. how many hours a day should I be running the sterilizer? Should it turn off with the lights?
Thats how I run mine. It's probably a bit much but, imo better than 24/7.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand running UV for some specific issues they can work wonders. However I dont understand the desire to run 24/7 and effectively try to sterilize the tank. I look at it like antibiotics. They give enormous benefit when needed. When used nonstop though they can cause other unintended consequences.

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The concentration of vitamins like B12 in natural seawater is very low (≤0.001 ug/L = 0.000001 ppm, see: https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmars.2017.00011/full), so I don't think the water column is the primary source of vitamins for zooxanthellae. Nevertheless, the article mentioned above showing UV destroys some vitamins is certainly interesting. Lastly, vitamins by definition are not produced by the organism and must be obtained from the diet. Many bacteria are able to synthesize common vitamins de novo and thus do not require vitamins from the environment. Zooxanthela live within corals, but they appear to obtain vitamin B12 and likely many other vitamins from other bacteria also living symbiotically within or on corals (see: https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/galaxea/11/1/11_1_1/_pdf).

Last edited:
OP
OP
NJBillyV

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But turn the lights on, your fish will like you more, would you like to live in a wet dark box! Lol
As soon as I get my UV up and running they'll go on. I've been trying to avoid algae while the tank stabilizes.

Regarding B12 depletion caused by UV, wouldn't regular water changes mitigate that? I mean, how does the B12 get there in the first place? And if it's that important I bet there's a reef supplement that provides it, I'll have to do some research.

Selcon is a vitamin supplement for marine fish and invertebrates
I was just looking at that at BRS, I guess it's a food supplement, but it can also be added to the water. Problem solved I guess.

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to add vitamin B12. This vitamin is produced already in your tank by the bacteria living within and on your corals.

mijan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your goal for using UV is algae control then you would want to run it at a higher gph. Low flow is for organisms like dinos and any parasites in the water column. Algae would need a higher flow as the theory is the algae in your tank would reproduce faster then the low flow through your UV can eliminate it.
Check with your brand of UV for flow recommendations.

VetReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyday all day, it doesnt hurt anything at all

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe just me but in a small tank i'd probably lean a little more on activated carbon over UV for removing yellowing of the water.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It ends up being a tradeoff between dwell time within the UV and the amount of the tank water that goes through the unit per hour. Most folks that run low flow, do so through an oversized UV to increase total throughput.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back