why not sell on Amazon?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my state and probably many US states there is sales tax that if not paid during the time of purchasing an item online it has to be paid when filing our state taxes.
I’m sure everyone in my state honestly reports these purchases so we can pay our taxes on them
Aidy Bryant Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

muffinmanXL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, apropos of this, there's a thread in this very forum, from today, of noopysche asking a user to solder something on a brand new light, and then telling them that they won't cross-ship, so the user needs to send in his brand new light, and wait a month+ before having running lights. A month+ without lights is completely unworkable in this hobby.

this. Exact reason why I would buy these lights from Amazon vs from a small reefing vendor directly, even if it means paying a slight premium.

OP
OP
noopsyche

noopsyche

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can post links if you want. I mean, I can show you links on Amazon of the same product selling from different vendors for different prices. So I don't know what you're talking about.

Also, apropos of this, there's a thread in this very forum, from today, of noopysche asking a user to solder something on a brand new light, and then telling them that they won't cross-ship, so the user needs to send in his brand new light, and wait a month+ before having running lights. A month+ without lights is completely unworkable in this hobby.
What I'm talking about is the stuff I shop for on Amazon is generally, but not always, cheaper.
I know about the other thread. Another reason to shop Amazon
this. Exact reason why I would buy these lights from Amazon vs from a small reefing vendor directly, even if it means paying a slight premium.
Soldering is an extra choise. the premise is we provide him with a complete circuit board, just use a screwdriver. In addition, we send him an extra part, if he wants to solder on the broken circuit board, he will get an extra spare. look at the post updated then you will understand correctly:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/n...wants-me-to-resolder-it.912852/#post-10228797

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/n...wants-me-to-resolder-it.912852/#post-10229203

It was just a suggestion for the quickest solution to the problem. If the user does not accept (not specifically this customer,just for this kind of after-sale problem) it is still refundable. We are also willing to bear the shipping cost of this part.

Last edited:

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazon gives you exposure. Most places sell their goods on multiple platforms. Everyone wins.

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soldering is an extra choise. the premise is we provide him with a complete circuit board, just use a screwdriver. In addition, we send him an extra part, if he wants to solder on the broken circuit board, he will get an extra spare. look at the post updated then you will understand correctly:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/n...wants-me-to-resolder-it.912852/#post-10228797

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/n...wants-me-to-resolder-it.912852/#post-10229203

It was just a suggestion for the quickest solution to the problem. If the user does not accept (not specifically this customer,just for this kind of after-sale problem) it is still refundable. We are also willing to bear the shipping cost of this part.
Or, you send the customer a new light because someone screwed up in assembly. That's Amazon and the best companies do.

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Its a brand new light. You shouldn't be asking him to do anything - you should be replacing it. And "willing to bear the cost of shipping" - what? You absolutely should be paying shipping - you shipped him a faulty product.

The quickest solution to the problem is to overnight him a new light at your own cost, and give him a shipping label to send back the old one after he gets the new one.

jrill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a brand new light. You shouldn't be asking him to do anything - you should be replacing it. And "willing to bear the cost of shipping" - what? You absolutely should be paying shipping - you shipped him a faulty product.

The quickest solution to the problem is to overnight him a new light at your own cost, and give him a shipping label to send back the old one after he gets the new one.
Exactly how it should have been handled.

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely love Amazon. My household and a large piece of my company purchases are done there. Being able to receive almost anything on Earth in 48 hours is truly a marvel... and sometimes it arrives in 12 hrs.

Plus the no questions asked return policy, coupled with just dumping the return at Kohls without even a box is a consumer's dream.

Oddly enough, however, all of my reefing purchases to date have been done with BRS or another online vendor, or my LFS. Why? Service. If I have a problem or a question, I want to talk to a human being.

BRS has been great. My RODI unit arrived with a cracked fitting and they sent me four new ones a day later. I had questions about the pressure pump and gauge, and I talked to someone there who answered my questions.

When possible, I will purchase other items from my LFS for the same reason, and because I want them to stay in business.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1652844009571.png

This question is very acute and I think it's worth mentioning. Amazon is the number one shopping platform in the world, so why not sell on Amazon?
Because Amazon will deduct a 15% commission then will cause the price to increase by 15%. So buying at Noopsychereeflight.com is the best deal.
I will admit, I did not read through this thread, but as a small company, I would never sell on Amazon. They require a huge discount for them to sell anything. For instance, for a HB book, I had to list it at $25 to make $.60 a book on amazon. This was the list price you consumers had to pay. Anywhere else, I could list at $25 and make $8 per book. Insane!

In other words, I could charge $20 a book and make less, but save you $5 and still make a ton more profit.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't buy everything on amazon but it is sure handy and in the case of a light... well I could have it here tomorrow instead of how ever many weeks from overseas and if it was busted out of the box, I am covered. That being said.. most big purchases were from saltwater aquatics or premium aquatics. However, stuff like Jabeo or other overseas cheapies but goodies are from Amazon.

Definitely not always the cheapest place for sure so I don't use them for everything.

Last edited:

FoolishWizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
End of last year I jumped through all the hoops to create an LLC and get an AMAZON sellers account. Looking for some passive income streams and AMAZON isnt slowing down... Now finding the products to source / rebrand / sell is the next step... I would love to do something for this industry but need to do more research and find a small product to test the waters... Anyone out there have any ideas? LOL

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazon will.own the world 1 day I think. Lol
It's all about ebay.
D
Fleabay is mostly trash now. There are still a few gems out there, I'll buy something that Im not depending on... They are the forerunner of fake ish out there and dealing with vendors for returns, forget it. Amazon is catching up at a alarming rate tho with fakes, but the return policy for them cant be beat, so I'll deal.

Yes I am that guy that orders my 40 pound bag of dog food, lol. Been prime shipping since 2007.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mind ebay. Saved like 50 bucks on one of those oral b toothbrushes recently... new and sealed ofc.. don't be gross lol also buy live white worm starter kits there and some live plant cuts... great place to sell my husbands old video game crap :p

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, not that I have ever bought a light,I have tried a few times actually amd literally every time it hae been out of stock lol literally it seems as if the lights have NEVER been in stock.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mind ebay. Saved like 50 bucks on one of those oral b toothbrushes recently... new and sealed ofc.. don't be gross lol also buy live white worm starter kits there and some live plant cuts... great place to sell my husbands old video game crap :p
Like I said there are some gems still, but, sheesh ya gotta pick through a LOT of trash to find it. I buy my reef pods, every 3 months on there from a guy in tejas, my refrigerator water filters (same vendor for 7 years now) and the occasional electronic something a rather since almost all the electronic parts stores are gone where I am.

I tend to do better with offer up, buying and selling. I hate dealing with shipping, lol.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back