Why photometry is not a reliable way to measure chloroquine concentration

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Reefers,

This is just a very quick “technical note”, and I have not included a lot of detail. If you need more information you can contact me at [email protected] or here in the forum.

Some time ago Robert (Humblefish) contacted me about the analysis of chloroquine in seawater, and also supplied samples from his quarantine tanks (Thank you very much!).

Chloroquine is commonly used as medication against several parasitic diseases (such as Cryptocaryon or Amyloodinium) in marine fish treatment & quarantine.

It is essential to keep the concentration of medications within the therapeutic range throughout the treatment period to interrupt the life cycle of the parasites. Chloroquine concentration within the tank water might decline due to bacterial metabolism, precipitation, light induced degradation and other mechanisms. - For this reason, it is important to measure (and adjust) the concentration of active ingredient on a regular basis.

Chloroquine strongly absorbs light at around 340 nm – and it is common practice to measure this light absorbance using a photometer to evaluate the actual chloroquine concentration. In photometry all compounds present in the mixture that absorb light at the given wavelength contribute to the measurement.

At the Oceamo laboratory we have been using C18-HPLC (High Performance Liquid Chromatography) with UV detection at 343 nm to analyze Roberts “real world” samples from chloroquine-dosed tanks. (For people not familiar with the technique: The water sample is injected into a column, and within this column different chemical compounds are separated and individually detected.) This way it is possible (in contrast to photometry) to evaluate if there are different compounds present within the sample, that absorb light at a given wavelength.

Exemplary chromatogram/results:

Three chemical species are present in typical samples consisting of chloroquine, as well as two different metabolites. The main metabolite (“Metabolite 1”) was identified by LC/MS (liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry) as deaminated & oxidized species that is very likely to lack biological activity.

This exemplary HPLC chromatogram shows the sample of water was taken from a non-illuminated quarantine tank dosed with chloroquine (20 mg/l) seven days prior to sampling. As you can see in the chromatogram only a fraction is actual chloroquine, while metabolite 1 is the major chemical species present in the sample.
cphplc.PNG

This finding clearly shows that photometry is not suitable to evaluate the chloroquine concentration in treated tanks. Metabolites that are rapidly formed (and that do likely not show any therapeutic efficiency) can not be distinguished from chloroquine using this method.

Unfortunately the number of samples was not big enough to evaluate which factors (light or bacterial activity) cause the degradation of chloroquine, and how it can be prevented. Also it is not possible determine the “half-life” of chloroquine in seawater, since the kinetics of degradation can vary greatly between different setups. Anyhow, its is planned to get more data and insight on this topic.

Best regards,

Christoph

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dear Reefers,

This is just a very quick “technical note”, and I have not included a lot of detail. If you need more information you can contact me at [email protected] or here in the forum.

Some time ago Robert (Humblefish) contacted me about the analysis of chloroquine in seawater, and also supplied samples from his quarantine tanks (Thank you very much!).

Chloroquine is commonly used as medication against several parasitic diseases (such as Cryptocaryon or Amyloodinium) in marine fish treatment & quarantine.

It is essential to keep the concentration of medications within the therapeutic range throughout the treatment period to interrupt the life cycle of the parasites. Chloroquine concentration within the tank water might decline due to bacterial metabolism, precipitation, light induced degradation and other mechanisms. - For this reason, it is important to measure (and adjust) the concentration of active ingredient on a regular basis.

Chloroquine strongly absorbs light at around 340 nm – and it is common practice to measure this light absorbance using a photometer to evaluate the actual chloroquine concentration. In photometry all compounds present in the mixture that absorb light at the given wavelength contribute to the measurement.

At the Oceamo laboratory we have been using C18-HPLC (High Performance Liquid Chromatography) with UV detection at 343 nm to analyze Roberts “real world” samples from chloroquine-dosed tanks. (For people not familiar with the technique: The water sample is injected into a column, and within this column different chemical compounds are separated and individually detected.) This way it is possible (in contrast to photometry) to evaluate if there are different compounds present within the sample, that absorb light at a given wavelength.

Exemplary chromatogram/results:

Three chemical species are present in typical samples consisting of chloroquine, as well as two different metabolites. The main metabolite (“Metabolite 1”) was identified by LC/MS (liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry) as deaminated & oxidized species that is very likely to lack biological activity.

This exemplary HPLC chromatogram shows the sample of water was taken from a non-illuminated quarantine tank dosed with chloroquine (20 mg/l) seven days prior to sampling. As you can see in the chromatogram only a fraction is actual chloroquine, while metabolite 1 is the major chemical species present in the sample.
cphplc.PNG

This finding clearly shows that photometry is not suitable to evaluate the chloroquine concentration in treated tanks. Metabolites that are rapidly formed (and that do likely not show any therapeutic efficiency) can not be distinguished from chloroquine using this method.

Unfortunately the number of samples was not big enough to evaluate which factors (light or bacterial activity) cause the degradation of chloroquine, and how it can be prevented. Also it is not possible determine the “half-life” of chloroquine in seawater, since the kinetics of degradation can vary greatly between different setups. Anyhow, its is planned to get more data and insight on this topic.

Best regards,

Christoph

Hello Christoph,

Years ago, I used the Shedd Aquarium's unpublished method of measuring chloroquine with a UV spectrophotometer set to 329 nm. I was able to create a standard curve and it seemed accurate enough for aquarium use. I discussed that here:

https://reefs.com/magazine/aquarium-fish-chloroquine-a-new-drug-for-treating-fish-diseases/

I don't use chloroquine any longer, I began to find many species of fish that had sensitivity to the dose I was using, so I haven't had any opportunity to investigate that any further.

Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Christoph,

Years ago, I used the Shedd Aquarium's unpublished method of measuring chloroquine with a UV spectrophotometer set to 329 nm. I was able to create a standard curve and it seemed accurate enough for aquarium use. I discussed that here:

https://reefs.com/magazine/aquarium-fish-chloroquine-a-new-drug-for-treating-fish-diseases/

I don't use chloroquine any longer, I began to find many species of fish that had sensitivity to the dose I was using, so I haven't had any opportunity to investigate that any further.

Jay Hemdal
Hello Jay,

thanks for your reply!

Yes, it is no problem getting a linear regression for chloroquine concentration: But if you measure for example 15 mg/l of chloroquine using photometry it is impossible to say if its actually chloroquine, or its metabolites (that also give the photometric response).

Best regards,
Christoph

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have calibration information that tells how much of that initial 20mg/L is still represented in the chloroquine peak after 7 days?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Jay,

thanks for your reply!

Yes, it is no problem getting a linear regression for chloroquine concentration: But if you measure for example 15 mg/l of chloroquine using photometry it is impossible to say if its actually chloroquine, or its metabolites (that also give the photometric response).

Best regards,
Christoph
Oh, so the metabolites also absorb at 329 nm? We didn’t know that.
Jay

OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have calibration information that tells how much of that initial 20mg/L is still represented in the chloroquine peak after 7 days?
Hello taricha,
yes, we calibrated using an authentic standard. In the above example the chloroquine concentration after 7 days was 4,3 mg/l. But this is to be taken with caution: In other tanks there was no chloroquine detectable even after a shorter timespan, or chloroquine was metabolized significantly slower.

The factors that affect degradation/metabolism kinetics are not clear to me yet.

Best regards,
Christoph

OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, so the metabolites also absorb at 329 nm? We didn’t know that.
Jay
Hello Jay,

sorry for not making that clear in my initial post.

Yes, the metabolites also absorb strongly in the 330 nm region, and thus can not be distinguished from parent chloroquine using photometry.

all the best,
Christoph

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Christoph, thanks for sharing your analysis (very cool!). Chloroquine is a lipophilic small molecule that concentrates in tissues of organisms; consequently, the concentration in the water does not reflect the total amount in the system. In humans chloroquine is barely detectable in the blood (analogous to the water in a tank) after administration and rapidly distributes to the tissues and is very slowly eliminated over weeks. In dosing chloroquine to a saltwater tank, I think the majority of the drug rapidly concentrates in tissues of organisms (animals, bacteria and plants), thus you will never see the initial concentration at time zero (20 mg/L or 20 ppm) after a short time (likely 10-15 minutes). Lastly, I am quite sure that the metabolite you detected is biologically inactive since the antiprotozoal activity of chloroquine depends on the amine side-chain.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Jay,

sorry for not making that clear in my initial post.

Yes, the metabolites also absorb strongly in the 330 nm region, and thus can not be distinguished from parent chloroquine using photometry.

all the best,
Christoph

I had heard about this study and it was just officially published a few days ago:

I don't have access to the full study, but I know somebody there and I'll ask for a copy.

Jay

OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay for pointing me towards this publication! Interesting work where they figured out which bacteria use (and thus degrade) chloroquine, utilizing it mainly as a nitrogen source.

Best regards, Christoph

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay for pointing me towards this publication! Interesting work where they figured out which bacteria use (and thus degrade) chloroquine, utilizing it mainly as a nitrogen source.

Best regards, Christoph

Best regards, Christoph

I asked the director at the Shedd for a copy (I used to work with him) but I haven't heard back yet..... it's $43 USD to read online.

I may not have permission to post the article here, but I can at least read it and try to summarize it.

Jay

Courtney Aldrich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had heard about this study and it was just officially published a few days ago:

I don't have access to the full study, but I know somebody there and I'll ask for a copy.

Jay
I've attached the paper

Attachments

• ScienceTotEnviron2021_Chloroquine microbial metabolism.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 87

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Christoph Do you think number 2 could be from an isomer of the original start product, impurity, or possibly intermediate. Curious how much light was in this experiment. I know even little bit can greatly degrade some organics even in amber bottles.

OP
OP
Christoph

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Christoph Do you think number 2 could be from an isomer of the original start product, impurity, or possibly intermediate. Curious how much light was in this experiment. I know even little bit can greatly degrade some organics even in amber bottles.
Hello!

no, since the starting chloroquine phosphate was pure, according to HPLC (single peak).
Judging from retention pattern metabolite 2 has a significantly higher polarity compared to chloroquine.

Best regards, Christoph

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 144 61.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.1%
Back