Why promote an aquarium with soft corals?

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want an anemone so bad but I’m terrified of it coming loose and getting sucked into a wave maker and killing everything. :(
Anemones are banned from my tanks. In my exp they either grow very large and sting everything or they split and become a hassle to remove.

Soft corals are under appreciated. The more unique ones also hard to find locally and are often more expensive than SPS. For example, locally, I can buy 6 “named” Acropora for around $100 or 2 “designer” Acropora for around $100. In contrast, to get 2 unnamed, unique-looking leathers I paid over $200.

Little c big D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want an anemone so bad but I’m terrified of it coming loose and getting sucked into a wave maker and killing everything. :(
Lol if you live like that I'm suprised you have anything in your tank lol! I feel you though. I've been out of the hobby 3 years and am cycling a new tank with a pair of small clowns and I'm freaking out over their safety But if it helps, depending on your choice in Nem, many like to find their happy place and plant their butts! My experience they don't move much if you have good flow!

p@blo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This overlooked softy is what is keeping me hooked for many years into the soft coral kingdom
8E3554FA-9D50-494A-909F-7EB0569D8562.jpeg

rmay6850

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Angels, so many soft corals have become my best friend

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had over 12 species of gorg in a soft tank for a long time. When I had to tear down andrebuild, lost many of them and sold the rest. I have a softie dominated 210g. It also has nems (maxi mini, rock, malu). Love my softies!

Attachments

• yellow toadstool2a.jpg
    yellow toadstool2a.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 38
  • fuzzy leather.jpg
    fuzzy leather.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 39
  • neon leather.jpg
    neon leather.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 28
  • pink pale yellow leather.jpg
    pink pale yellow leather.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 34
  • toadstool3.jpg
    toadstool3.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 32

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first thought about starting a reef tank it was the softies that caught my attention when looking at pics of members' tanks. Recently I was looking at the website of a local coral shop to get my list going and the ones I clicked into to get more info were all softies so "yep" I'm a softie addict. :) My 5g will be all softies and I can't wait for it to mature a bit to add them. The wait is painful. :)

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DeniseAndy I got into Gorgs (photosynthetic) last year and I'm loving them! Their growth has been great too. Not sure why they are not seen in lfs more often.
8FDBC59C-38B5-42AC-9ADF-0FB24827CF64.jpeg

0648AD39-A728-4B4B-8995-8F79C4239B18.jpeg

I just cleared some space in my tank to prep for a H. Magnifica my lfs is getting for me next week! Fingers crossed it comes in healthy...
F1C22A10-B6A5-4007-8346-11CA7D71F58F.jpeg

Grsfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@DeniseAndy I got into Gorgs (photosynthetic) last year and I'm loving them! Their growth has been great too. Not sure why they are not seen in lfs more often.
8FDBC59C-38B5-42AC-9ADF-0FB24827CF64.jpeg

0648AD39-A728-4B4B-8995-8F79C4239B18.jpeg

I just cleared some space in my tank to prep for a H. Magnifica my lfs is getting for me next week! Fingers crossed it comes in healthy...
F1C22A10-B6A5-4007-8346-11CA7D71F58F.jpeg
Your tank looks great. What is the orangeish piece in the middle

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Grsfish its a red tree sponge. I added it about 3weeks ago and I'm still monitoring its progress and viability, there is a growth on the base which is a good sign though.

What are the first and last pic in your post? They're beautiful!

Grsfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@Grsfish its a red tree sponge. I added it about 3weeks ago and I'm still monitoring its progress and viability, there is a growth on the base which is a good sign though.

What are the first and last pic in your post? They're beautiful!
Nice. I thought about trying one of those. The first picture is pulsing sinularia and the last picture is a red finger leather that I got from mikec’s tank

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby can be challenging, especially for newer reefers not used to monitoring several parameters constantly. It's great that there is a wide variety of colorful, easy to propagate and (relatively) CHEAP softies that any level of hobbyist can add to their tank and not have to fret about maintaining. I originally wanted to slowly morph towards SPS, but, softies and lps work better with the amount of effort I can afford to spend on the tank.
Finally, people like Dr. Dendrostein are exploring the husbandry of some difficult to keep species and providing the rest of us with a great knowledge base. There are hundreds of species not currently in the hobby (to my knowledge) that would likely be beautiful additions once we figure out their proper care.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think is a Stereonepthya
Wish you had a better picture of it. All that blue light messes it up. Thing I love about stereo, you don't need fancy lights to show the color. It shows best under plain white light, especially sunlight.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol if you live like that I'm suprised you have anything in your tank lol! I feel you though. I've been out of the hobby 3 years and am cycling a new tank with a pair of small clowns and I'm freaking out over their safety But if it helps, depending on your choice in Nem, many like to find their happy place and plant their butts! My experience they don't move much if you have good flow!
I weigh the plus and minuses. For me, a shredded nem would destroy a huge collection of very rare stereonephthya corals. I just can't take the risk. So no nem until I can have a tank where such a disaster wouldn't give me a break down.

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mess with wave makers. A power head with a sponge filter in the intake is nem proof. You could pulse the output of a power head for waves as well.

Power heads are those small jet type water movers correct? Not sure how I would pulse one of those, or if they would have a wide enough spread for water movement in my tank. I need to have good continuous water movement for the stereo.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back