Why so many Neptune Tridents for Sale?

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you talk to Neptune about this at all?

I fully understand they want to sell reagents but I also believe them when they say the the tests need to run X amount per day to keep the lines clear.

I don't have a Trident so I'm just going off what everyone has said and what Neptune said. It simply could be they want to sell more reagents

I didn't, why bother. We all know the answer already. If they're fine with doing less test, they won't need to go out to hide those config outlets.

Also the outlet config don't just let you test whatever number of times, but also at anytime, not constrained to 12am, 6am, etc. The ability to configure test time was asked since Trident launch, but Neptune has always give the answer of "the technology is not there yet". Now you know how to configure it, that reason is purely BS.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fun read I dont own a trident maybe some day if they come out with a V2 that test po4/no3
maybe in the next few years that may happen how knows...all depends on what other do I guess.

side thought wonder if a 3rd party could come out with regents that would work? think a company like hanna.

LowDime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trident is simply controlled as couple outputs like other Apex output. It's only a matter of finding those output, then you can program it however you like the same as programming a light. These need to be done on a browser.

First need to determine the Trident's module number. Go to the Modules page. For me, it's 6.
Screenshot 2020-12-29 094847.png

Then go to edit any outlet of a powerbar, you will get to the Output Configuration page, with url of something like https://apexfusion.com/apex/<id>/config/outputs/2_1. (Local Apex works too, don't have to be fusion)
The last part is Module_OutletNumber. For Trident, the Trident test (combine test), is the 3 output. The alk test is the 4 output. So for example, when I go to https://apexfusion.com/apex/<id>/config/outputs/6_3, it is the one that control combine test. You will see some OSC code there, reflecting your selected schedule. Now simply change it using normal Apex code, just turn on that output for 1 minute to kick off the test. This is what I have.
Screenshot 2020-12-29 095454.png

That's it, pretty straightforward. For example, to have alk tested twice a day, but ca and mg for once a day, you will turn on Trident test once, which test all three, including alk. Then turn on alk one more time later to test for the second time.

I will have to try and remember that when i get one and see if i can figure that out. I have done similar with my hearters and what nots so i am sure i can figure it out., I may have to get another power bar soon.

Twitchy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trident is simply controlled as couple outputs like other Apex output. It's only a matter of finding those output, then you can program it however you like the same as programming a light. These need to be done on a browser.

First need to determine the Trident's module number. Go to the Modules page. For me, it's 6.

Then go to edit any outlet of a powerbar, you will get to the Output Configuration page, with url of something like https://apexfusion.com/apex/<id>/config/outputs/2_1. (Local Apex works too, don't have to be fusion)
The last part is Module_OutletNumber. For Trident, the Trident test (combine test), is the 3 output. The alk test is the 4 output. So for example, when I go to https://apexfusion.com/apex/<id>/config/outputs/6_3, it is the one that control combine test. You will see some OSC code there, reflecting your selected schedule. Now simply change it using normal Apex code, just turn on that output for 1 minute to kick off the test. This is what I have.

That's it, pretty straightforward. For example, to have alk tested twice a day, but ca and mg for once a day, you will turn on Trident test once, which test all three, including alk. Then turn on alk one more time later to test for the second time.
Holy heck, you may have just sold me on a trident... the only reason I haven't jumped on one is the rigid 4x a day testing, or setting it to manual, and having to remember to kick off a test each day, or risk gumming it up. didn't realize that's how the tests is controlled. Thanks!

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Everyone needs to move away from the idea that all Neptune wants to do is sell Trident owners reagents. There is no money grab here. It is a means to an end. A necessity to do the test. Reagents also have a shelf life. Similar to the test kits that most of us use be it Red Sea, Hanna, or XYZ. They have both shelf life and expiration after opening. So does milk, so does the fuel in your lawn mower.

If Neptune wanted a money grab we would all be paying a monthly fee for Fusion access. We don't. So let us all just end the nonsense and noise about reagents. You will be replacing test kits with the Reef Bot. You would have replaced discs with the Mindstream. You will be replacing probes and reference fluid with the ION.

Automated testing comes with a price. It isn't free. Regardless of the manufacture the hobbyist chooses.

You are misreading/misinterpreting my post. It seems you are a little defensive but maybe I am misreading that.

If you think the reagents aren't a money maker, you are crazy. If even one user can get 6 months out of a 2 month supply and not have wild inaccuracies or other issues in those 6 months, then Neptune has forced the amount of tests to sell everyone reagent.

All the major companies (in every industry) are moving to subscriptions. It is a massive money maker. Neptune's answer to this certainly could be reagents. It isn't wrong or right really. No need to defend their choice. It just is.

U

User1

View Badges
You are misreading/misinterpreting my post. It seems you are a little defensive but maybe I am misreading that.

If you think the reagents aren't a money maker, you are crazy. If even one user can get 6 months out of a 2 month supply and not have wild inaccuracies or other issues in those 6 months, then Neptune has forced the amount of tests to sell everyone reagent.

All the major companies (in every industry) are moving to subscriptions. It is a massive money maker. Neptune's answer to this certainly could be reagents. It isn't wrong or right really. No need to defend their choice. It just is.

Not defensive. Also not crazy. Reagents are not a money maker nor is that their intent. We are talking about automated testing which is not a printer (Neptune != HPI). People are looking at it the wrong way simply put.

Do you say the same about the Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro Kit? It tests Ca, Alk, and Mg, and an estimated 75 tests per kit. Runs 50 bucks. I just replaced my reagents and have 121 left (see below). 6 month kit is a tick under 100 US dollars. I get more tests out of the Trident at a cheaper cost. We can do the same for Hanna or any other kit that is somewhat accurate (I'm ignoring API).

We do not know why they set the number of tests the way they did. There is a reason and it is not to make hobbyist buy more reagents. That is just silly. If I had to guess the reason is related to how a reef consumes alk, ca, and mg and its relationship to assisted dosing.

As I noted all forms of automated testing will require a form of reagents, calibration fluid, probe replacement, disc replacement, etc. It is a necessity. Therefore not a money grab. No different than gas or electricity to make your car go. Or physical energy to turn a pedal on a bike.

A money grab is charging for a web portal such as Fusion. There is a local portal already so therefore Fusion is not necessary. Yet they provide it without a subscription.

Edit: trident number of tests left as a reference:

1609270667835.png

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say that I got the trident the other day and it was definitely off on readings until I waited the 48 hours and calibrated it, now it's completely spot on to what my Hannah checker was previously telling me and what the test solution provided was.

I think in the beginning for a lot of people it was just the idea of having the next new cool thing, considering the pandemic a lot of people might be hurting for money and trying to sell it to make a couple of bucks. I've only had mine now for a few days and there's no way I'd ever get rid of it. Initially I complained that it forces you to do a total of four tests a day thinking that that's way too much but even after a few days I'm considering bumping that up to six from four.

The way I look at it there is a high upfront cost that's part of a convenience fee anything that makes life easier just cost more money look at any other vertical out there. Realistically $99 for 6 months worth of reagents is a pretty good deal I pay more for streaming services that I barely even use. Let's be honest if you were to test your alkalinity calcium and magnesium 2 to 4 times a day you're going to spend just as much money on old school reagents and spend 30 minutes a day running 4 sets of tests.

I think the only other hard pill to swallow is that I'm now considering spending $299 on a dos so it can be controlled by the apex versus my $69 4 head doser that's been working great for months but can't use the trident to control dosing.

Just my two cents among the sea of thousands

Dp916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love mine, honest one of the best equipment purchased! I agree, testing twice a day is more than enough to gauge fluctuations with in our reef tank. Some are hesitant to buy because of the price of each reagent but honestly, think about all the dumb sh’t we buy or think about buying with in this hobby! Less testing more enjoying my reef! Look at apex fusion on my phone, even on the go.

bsr2430

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say that I got the trident the other day and it was definitely off on readings until I waited the 48 hours and calibrated it, now it's completely spot on to what my Hannah checker was previously telling me and what the test solution provided was.

I think in the beginning for a lot of people it was just the idea of having the next new cool thing, considering the pandemic a lot of people might be hurting for money and trying to sell it to make a couple of bucks. I've only had mine now for a few days and there's no way I'd ever get rid of it. Initially I complained that it forces you to do a total of four tests a day thinking that that's way too much but even after a few days I'm considering bumping that up to six from four.

The way I look at it there is a high upfront cost that's part of a convenience fee anything that makes life easier just cost more money look at any other vertical out there. Realistically $99 for 6 months worth of reagents is a pretty good deal I pay more for streaming services that I barely even use. Let's be honest if you were to test your alkalinity calcium and magnesium 2 to 4 times a day you're going to spend just as much money on old school reagents and spend 30 minutes a day running 4 sets of tests.

I think the only other hard pill to swallow is that I'm now considering spending $299 on a dos so it can be controlled by the apex versus my $69 4 head doser that's been working great for months but can't use the trident to control dosing.

That reminds me, I need to calibrate mine.haha thanks for stating this! Will do this today.

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

For what its worth I ran 4 Jeabo dp4's for years now. I like them but the one thing I hate about them is that I cannot control the dos amount anywhere but on the unit itself. For the price the pump worked fine and administered roughly the correct amount. Yes I had to replace lines had a few lines develop a slice but thats just normal wear and tear. Just bought the Dos a few months ago and I absolutely love it. The one thing that sold me was being able to manipulate the dosing amount no matter where I am...very helpful when away from the tank months at a time and a lot easier texting somebody to change it everytime they tested. The sound of the Dos is quieter than the Jeabo and the dosing heads arent too expensive to replace and pop off super easy. I still run the jeabo for my other elements but let the dos control alk and calc with the help of the trident. and if for some reason I need to intervene I can do it all with a click of a button :)

OP
OP
fishybizzness

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Great programming bypass! This definitely is a great way to get the reagent cost way down!

OP
OP
fishybizzness

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are overthinking it.

People are selling them for the same reason you can find wavemakers, lights, tanks and other stuff. People are constantly getting in and out of the hobby and COVID has hit some with hard times.
Great point! This is an expensive hobby and things are tough for alot of people. $500 goes a long way for buying groceries or paying some bills.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Notice the actual trend here. Those chiming in that have them wouldn't give them up, those that have never owned one are all spitting reasons they wouldn't buy one. I am not worried about why someone wouldn't buy something or not find it useful. I am worried about those that DO have them and whether they love or hate them.

I have talked to far too many trusted hobbyists that have one and all say it's the best investment they have made. Especially if you are full of SPS.

The reason I want one? I absolutely HATE testing. I skip it all the time. I have so many other things to do that finding even 10 minutes to test (it is always 30-40 minutes for me) can be too much some weeks. Especially when work is 6 days a week for months on end. I am lucky to feed my tank every day, clean the glass weekly, empty the skimmer cup when needed and just other basic maintenance. Spending that 30-40 minutes on testing actually does get in the way.

Fantastic point. I own one and am happy with it. The anxiety of reagent availability has been the biggest downside, however I never ran out and there seems to be plenty now, but I suspect it left a bad taste with many.

Yes one can graph out daily testing if they really wanted but I don’t want to daily manual test nor graph it which the trident does, I have found it handy for seeing the tanks health, aka has alk consumption been increasing or decreasing over time and while I have not had a major crash while using it I have had a couple issues like bottoming out phosphates which I didn’t notice until I saw alk consumption slow. Gave me an immediate clue something was off in the system and I could investigate further while also reducing dosing to avoid an alk spike. Weekly testing I sure would not have noticed this and similar issues.

Perhaps one of the most useful qualities of the multiple tests a day is tracking when you make a change, what does that do to the graph? Add xxxxx and watch the trend. If no change then the additive or new light or whatever had no impact, increased consumption then it’s a positive for growth, and similar if see alk rise indicating a negative impact. It’s perhaps the most useful tool we have to monitor additive/feeding/trace element supplementation. Now one can do that manually, however this makes it so much easier - just do one change at a time and see how things trend over the next week or two.

BobbyCline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased and setup an Apex, Trident, and DOS.

The system its perfect, but it sure beats the old fashioned way in my opinion.

I went from thinking “it is more tech than necessary” to “why did I wait so long to buy it!”

Mateusz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I didnt buy one because i didnt see the point of testing alk for $500 plus seeing how people needed reagents and were having trouble acquiring them. I never saw a trident as a game changer personally.

For myself, im more personally interested in alk/po4/no3 and never test calcium or magnesium, so im hopeful the mastertronic will eventually be the unit to do it all.

JoshB94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was content with manually testing at the price point and original gouging but a local hobbyist selling his tank / getting out (reason for a trident sale) got me an awesome deal. $325 for a 4 month old trident, yeah... I'll give it a shot. I won't say I'm absolutely in love with it but I do enjoy having it. Personally I wouldn't pay $600 or even 500 and I have over 15k in my systems..

phatduckk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine. I actually have 2, one on my DT and one on my coral QT. It's actually invaluable in the coral QT. It's a smaller tank - only 25g - so stability can swing with a simple error.

I find it to be pretty accurate whenever I've A/B tested it against my Hanna checker. They're always within .1 or so of each other. Its splitting hairs trying to decide which one "wins"... they're close enough. And, honestly, its not so much that I care about the specific number as much as I care about the stability. I end up finding the Alk my corals like in a specific tank and then just make sure to stay in that neighborhood.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also want to add that having this or any alk checker.... for most people sooner or later it will help save coral. Maybe not a full crash, but most of us have spikes from time due to who knows what and these can catch it early and for some people trident will pay for themselves the 1st time they catch an issue early before losing expensive coral. Maybe in a month, maybe two years, but good chance it will happen and it helps take preventive action.

And again this can be done with diligent daily testing, but not many do that after being in the hobby for years although always exceptions.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding game changerness, Trident is not necessarily the game changer, but testing alk EVERY SINGLE DAY at the same hour is. Noticing problem within a day vs a week make all the difference in keeping the nuance color shade in acros. One don't have to have a Trident or Alkatronic to do it, but for many, it's unachievable without one of those.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back