Why so many Neptune Tridents for Sale?

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And don’t have your sample pickup tube next to your dosing lines..... just saying

cperry7467

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my take on the reagent life, it's an estimate. But I've noticed sometimes my tests take 15 minutes and sometimes 30 minutes. My guess is if a test is out of range or wildly different than previous tests it will auto retest to make sure it wasn't a testing error which obviously uses more reagent. I also occasionally run a manual test. But overall I have no concerns about how long the reagents last. Pretty close to 2 months.

I was just looking around ebay and on here, I don't see many trident for sale. Where are you all seeing them for sale?

U

User1

View Badges
Here's my take on the reagent life, it's an estimate. But I've noticed sometimes my tests take 15 minutes and sometimes 30 minutes. My guess is if a test is out of range or wildly different than previous tests it will auto retest to make sure it wasn't a testing error which obviously uses more reagent. I also occasionally run a manual test. But overall I have no concerns about how long the reagents last. Pretty close to 2 months.

I was just looking around ebay and on here, I don't see many trident for sale. Where are you all seeing them for sale?

I was going to say social media bots and hidden agendas but that wouldn't be very nice. Some are legitimate questions. Or questions fall out through the discussion which help some I'd wager.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People want to slam the accuracy of the trident. Well I did as well, with the alk test vs hanna I had about a 1dkh discrepancy the hanna measured higher. I didn't trust the trident so I was running my tank at 7dkh according to hanna. I decided to test the apex calibration solution with the hanna and it read about 1dkh higher than what it should have, so my tank was actually running at 6dkh.

I like the hanna checkers, but manual testing and test kits can also have flaws.

I love being able to see the day to day trends to keep my dosing dialed in. Nope you couldn't pry the trident from my cold dead hands.

OP
OP
fishybizzness

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201230-125159_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201230-125159_Chrome.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20201230-125213_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201230-125213_Chrome.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20201230-125233_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201230-125233_Chrome.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20201230-125248_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201230-125248_Chrome.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20201230-125306_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201230-125306_Chrome.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 28

cperry7467

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also regarding testing after dosing, my DOS doses 65ml of 2 part through the day with each dose less than 1ml... Even IF I had my sample line next to the dosing line and even IF it dosed at the same time as testing, it's such a small amount each time I doubt it would impact my test.

I've never understood all the hostility and misinformation towards the Trident. This thread is basically a collection of bad info.

Brett S

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an observation. They have been coming up regularly from what I've been seeing.

Honestly I think it’s one of those things that once you start paying attention to it you see them more often. I recently bought some Gen5 Radions and since then I’ve seen so many pop up for sale in the for sale forum. But before I bought them I didn’t notice any for sale. I’m sure they were there, but I wasn’t thinking about them and they didn’t catch my eye.

OP
OP
fishybizzness

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also regarding testing after dosing, my DOS doses 65ml of 2 part through the day with each dose less than 1ml... Even IF I had my sample line next to the dosing line and even IF it dosed at the same time as testing, it's such a small amount each time I doubt it would impact my test.

I've never understood all the hostility and misinformation towards the Trident. This thread is basically a collection of bad info.
I disagree. I think this thread has been very informative from both sides of the fence, people who love having them and people that don't feel the need to. I currently don't have one but it will definitely be on my "to buy" list when my 120 grows out! A big part of the hobby for me has been the build and all the cool gear you can buy!

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's my take, and why I went a different direction - you don't really need to test Cal and mag all that frequently but the trident requires those reagents to run ANY test. The real value is the alk testing, which, is not very flexible. It has specific times at which its tests and that's it. The Apex also has a maintenance period in which you have to send it back to neptune for calibration.... Uhm... Nothx.

I went with an alkatronic - why? More flexibility over frequency of alk tests, cheap as heck self-made reagent, and, I can recalibrate it myself without sending it back to the mfg. I can then test Cal and mag at my leisure with a trusted test.

I would read through this thread because many of your points have been proven false. If someone wants, they can change how many tests are performed and when. Certainly not the way I would go because Neptune will void your warranty since they can easily see you changed code...but the option is there.

The maintenance thing isn't actually a thing. Neptune mentioned it early on but to date there is no maintenance or sending it back to Neptune going on.

Glad I checked in on this thread because it solidified my decision to get a Trident. I take Ryan's (from BRS) quote to heart these days. "Stop listening to everyone and start listening to someone." Thankfully, I am in a position where I have my "someones" to listen to and they all praise the Trident. Even better is they aren't paid for their opinions.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would read through this thread because many of your points have been proven false. If someone wants, they can change how many tests are performed and when. Certainly not the way I would go because Neptune will void your warranty since they can easily see you changed code...but the option is there.

The maintenance thing isn't actually a thing. Neptune mentioned it early on but to date there is no maintenance or sending it back to Neptune going on.

Glad I checked in on this thread because it solidified my decision to get a Trident. I take Ryan's (from BRS) quote to heart these days. "Stop listening to everyone and start listening to someone." Thankfully, I am in a position where I have my "someones" to listen to and they all praise the Trident. Even better is they aren't paid for their opinions.
So your 'solution' is to void the warranty to make it work how it should? That doesn't sound very flexible. Its also a forced way to fit your statement and make mine 'false' when they aren't. I'll revise mine - under normal operation without voiding the warranty it has specific amounts of tests and frequency of those tests. Better?

Neptune has only stated one thing - that units will need to be sent back in 18 months. They have yet to say otherwise. Perhaps covid is the reason why they haven't started it. Point is, my statement is still true until neptune says otherwise. Sure, no one has been asked to sent a unit in..... But that can change since they haven't updated their statement. If it's as simple as updating a statement, why haven't they done so? Perplexing.

Note, I'm an apex fan.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune has only stated one thing - that units will need to be sent back in 18 months. They have yet to say otherwise. Perhaps covid is the reason why they haven't started it. Point is, my statement is still true until neptune says otherwise. Sure, no one has been asked to sent a unit in..... But that can change since they haven't updated their statement. If it's as simple as updating a statement, why haven't they done so? Perplexing.

Early on there was some talk of annual maintenance. I do not personally recall them saying 18 months, but I don’t follow the various social media sources so probable I missed it. Makes sense that things like peristaltic tubing will require replacement over time. I replace the tubing in my GHL doser every two years, so perhaps trident would be on a similar timeline. I’ve inspected mine for things like cuvette staining and see none, but tubing wear is harder to spot .... well, until the lines start leaking. It would be nice to get some definitive statement and/or replacement plan. Mine will be two years in May.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your 'solution' is to void the warranty to make it work how it should? That doesn't sound very flexible. Its also a forced way to fit your statement and make mine 'false' when they aren't. I'll revise mine - under normal operation without voiding the warranty it has specific amounts of tests and frequency of those tests. Better?

Note, I'm an apex fan.

Neptune themselves say 18-24 months, particular information to be released at a later time.
What are the maintenance and service needs for the Trident?

Like most aquarium devices, regular preventative maintenance is recommended so they perform as designed and have as long a lifespan as possible. The Trident is no different in this respect.
We recommend that the Trident have a routine service of a small number of its parts in the window of 18-24 months. And, while we will have a kit available for customers to do this maintenance themselves, we strongly suggest that the Trident be sent in to our service center to have this performed.
All of the particulars relating to this recommended maintenance will be released at a later time, but at this time we can say that the parts kit to do it yourself will be less than $100 and we are targeting between $150-$200 if sent in to be completed by our service technicians. In addition to these cost estimates, the service completed by Neptune Systems will have several pricing options including an advanced replacement option.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back