Why some All-In-One Aquarium have a hole on the bottom?

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lifegard-Aquatics-CRYSTAL-Aquarium.jpeg

I'm building my own aquarium generally but i might buy one pre-made this time. I never had any issue to now to not do a hole on the bottom. I personally find the hole annoying and dangerous for live stock. Plus it's extremely distracting from a design point of view.

So... Why?
thank you

GabeM

King of... something.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most I've seen have a weir there - there is usually a piece of plastic behind it going up to the overflow in case the top weir gets blocked ever.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you will want the hole for water to be drawn in from there and not solely from the top; and yes, the one in your original post is missing a pop-in grate. Best wishes on your project!

OP
OP
Aqua Splendor

Aqua Splendor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm
I much prefer to have the water uniquely drawn from the top to skim the surface. And... anyways the water when it reach that bottom goes up with the flow so...
I never had any pump running dry but that probably because I either add manualy water each week (otherwise it make sound) or i use a auto top off.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm
I much prefer to have the water uniquely drawn from the top to skim the surface. And... anyways the water when it reach that bottom goes up with the flow so...
I never had any pump running dry but that probably because I either add manualy water each week (otherwise it make sound) or i use a auto top off.

Agreed. While the idea of having a low down hole so that the pump doesn't run dry is good in theory, in practice the pump running dry is quite unlikely (not topping off for a long while and possibly something completely blocking the weir come to mind). IMO, the benefits of a strong weir overflow far out weight the unlikely chance of the pump running dry.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wasn’t focusing on the possibility of the pump running dry; I shove a wad of some good old filter floss down behind the bottom grate (hole) and assume I get some detritus drawn into the filter floss from down low in the tank. ;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back