Why Spend hundreds to Thousands on a Sump

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it really need to be any more complicated than a 150 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank? This is the best sump I have had so far. I couldn't even imagine what a commercial sump in anything remotely close to this size would cost.
IMG_5942[1].JPG
I love it! Wish I could have something like that.
However, unfortunately, the per square foot cost in real estate for me to keep something that size here would be astronomical! (Not to mention the additional cost of a divorce!) :) :) :)

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could. But there hideous and I wouldn't be able to stand looking at them let alone working on one. One could make the same argument to those that spend thousands more on there Displays from Reef Savvy, Tank Me USA and so forth when you can get a super cheap one from glass Cages or stock ones from Aqueon/Marineland and modify them. And lol It wouldn't bother me if I did, I'm sure I've been close a few times...

Oh and yes, it was built by @Elder1945

Shame, shame, you spent more than I think you should! Participating in this hobby at all doesn't seem like a wise financial decision.

However, unfortunately, the per square foot cost in real estate for me to keep something that size here would be astronomical! (Not to mention the additional cost of a divorce!) :) :) :)

I would like that too, but the cost of a basement exceeds the cost of a sump that fits in my stand :)

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can't imagine how much envy all these superb fish rooms cause me! Hahaha :)

I have a severe case of basement envy...

I think that could be said to a lot of members in this hobby ;Hilarious;Hilarious

I would be amazed if anyone is legitimately in the black in this hobby.

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe it or not, this was all planned. When my wife and I were looking at houses, a very high consideration was where the tank was going to go. I also knew I wanted a basement sump room, and my wife agreed that it was better to have the filtration equipment in the basement, out of sight of the tank. So, she was on board with it all. The tank came with me. It was a package deal!

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it really need to be any more complicated than a 150 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank? This is the best sump I have had so far. I couldn't even imagine what a commercial sump in anything remotely close to this size would cost.
IMG_5942[1].JPG

I'm going to guess that changing your sediment filter is a bit of a pain

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I use 2 fluval aquaclear 30’s power filters in my 15 gallon tank they do not cost that much and if you buy 2 more rather than pay for replacement parts you can easily remove pumps and add the new pumps to your tank then you can clean the original pumps and change them out as needed.

0B80D81F-5DDA-4F9F-9E21-60711F88C297.jpeg 7CC44E1F-0851-42FE-BA6A-0EDC94D2634F.jpeg

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a 175 gallon plywood sump for about $300.

It was a slight pain in the butt to build, but I love the result of my labor. I’ll certainly never pay big bucks for a tank that nobody ever looks at.

It fits the closet I have behind my display tank perfectly.

CD7125E7-DB88-4FEB-B9AC-553F4A83FC62.jpeg

Very nice set up!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back