Why Spend hundreds to Thousands on a Sump

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kind of like just after I made my filter sock holder for $29 I found someone is making them for stock tanks and they are only $399.
I could have just bought one.
IMG_2510_heic-L.jpg

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's kind of like just after I made my filter sock holder for $29 I found someone is making them for stock tanks and they are only $399.
IMG_2510_heic-L.jpg

Looks great! If you factor in the time spent on it, the time getting material, the cost of the tools, and the time spent developing the skills to DIY something like that - what do you estimate that adds to the $29?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2510_heic-L.jpg
Interesting setup. Fitings must be non glued as it looks hard to service but is most likely simple.
I would have never thought to run a line to each sock.
Probably why I run a 7".
Better get a patent on that before someone else does lol.

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! If you factor in the time spent on it, the time getting material, the cost of the tools, and the time spent developing the skills to DIY something like that - what do you estimate that adds to the $29?
I do it because I enjoy doing it. I already have the tools. If you bought all the tools to make this you would have still saved $100 and got to keep the tools to make other things.

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting setup. Fitings must be non glued as it looks hard to service but is most likely simple.
I would have never thought to run a line to each sock.
Probably why I run a 7".
Better get a patent on that before someone else does lol.
That is 3 7x16 inch socks. The pipes aren't glued. They simply lift out in one piece.

Victor_C3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it because I enjoy doing it. I already have the tools. If you bought all the tools to make this you would have still saved $100 and got to keep the tools to make other things.

That’s exactly how I feel. Being able to build and customize things yourself is a major part of the hobby for me. I love spending the time it takes to design and then build whatever is on your mind. Then, after I build it, I see all the mistakes and flaws in my design and I do it again!

I see I’m not the only person whose figured out that you can buy sheets of PVC for projects.

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s exactly how I feel. Being able to build and customize things yourself is a major part of the hobby for me. I love spending the time it takes to design and then build whatever is on your mind. Then, after I build it, I see all the mistakes and flaws in my design and I do it again!

I see I’m not the only person whose figured out that you can buy sheets of PVC for projects.
Agreed. I love the fact that I can build my own sump and design it the way I want as I pretty DIY everything I do. I’ll buy any tool to try and make it the way I want it. Can I buy a $2000 sump sure. But I feel more satisfied building it and on the bright side I saved $1900.

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am using PVC house trim from Home Depot. That was one 8 foot by 12 inch piece. I can just run over and get some.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using PVC house trim from Home Depot. That was one 8 foot by 12 inch piece. I can just run over and get some.

Very handy stuff to have around. I’m using a sheet of it to partition my stand between the sump area and a “dry” equipment area. Also used it for the shelves on the dry side. Easy material to work with and it’s nice not needing to put a finish on it.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The internet and forums like this kind of changed the hobby when it comes to showing off. Explains a lot in my mind. Combine that with the fact we are better at keeping live stock more attention now goes to other aspects of the hobby. Plus marine fish and coral has always been a $$$ hobby. So no surprise people spend.

Frankly I am jealous. I want all those toys too but I just cannot get myself to spend that kind of money even though I could afford it.

I recall the days when a skimmer was the oohs and ahhs of reefing. Now everyone has one of whatever size required. Ditto with lighting. Now everyone has pretty darn good stuff. So over time it all seems to trickle down right? Some company will come out with a semi customizable flashy sump at a more affordable price point and we will all have it for 100 to 250 to 500 depending on size required. Who knows!

Last edited:

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thing is you don't need to spend a ton of money to get a highly functional sump with some flashy colors and decent looks. The uber sumps are just that, the lamborghini and Ferrari, of the sump world. They all do the same thing. One just costs a few hundred or less and the other costs a few thousand. Whatever tickles your fancy. Ain't free market capitalism grand?

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think anyone is assuming you are bashing anyone else. Just some outspoken members that's all lol As you can see in your thread everyone is of the same mind that at the end of the day it's just a box of water we use to hide stuff in, maybe grow stuff. Functionality is all that really matters, but, who says functional can't be fun too....

20200321_140035.jpg

:p
that is unreal!!!!

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im a diy guy and love building stuff but if I had money I would be all over a custom sump . the looks of some of the custom acylic sumps and plumbing is unreal and I hope one day to have something like that

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Expensive sumps and colored piping are the lifted diesel trucks of the aquarium world. Just my 2 cents.

I learned early on how to work with acrylic so i can make anything I want. It does take time, but it is mostly enjoyable. I just built a 600 gallon display tank and people freak out when i tell them i built it. Plus, i saved about 5 grand building it myself. The funny thing is that most people are NOT going to be impressed with your sump. That, and the MOST impressive big tanks i have seen have fish rooma that look like a tornado hit them.

Last edited:

stevethao

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven’t read through the whole thread but I think it’s just for aesthetic reasons. I mean, if I had the money, I’d get a cool looking custom sump too!

Sarlindescent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe one thing has been missed, and thats space optimization and ease of use. I built a DIY sump for my frag tank out of a 20H. It is functional and gets the job done, but it is tight and difficult to remove/replace socks. I plan on getting a custom one made, not for aesthetics, but for to ability to make the sump 2" deeper and 5" wider. This extra space would allow for a much easier setup and would make changing socks/ filter cup media a million times easier than zip ties over the gate valve and tucked under the pipe. Plus I will get a few more gallons for dilution, which is always a plus.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t have the luxury of being able to have a basement when building my house. I was able to get a fish room, but my house is on a concrete slab. So I spoke with my builder and I got an infloor concrete sump. Not sure what it cost. I did high flex pvc hoses to and from the tanks to the infloor sump. The guy doing our foundation work on the house dug the hole and put in the forms.
It is 4’Lx30”Wx4’D. The sump holds all my pumps. I keep the flow high in the sump to avoid detritus buildup. I have 2 - 40 breeder tanks to the left of the sump that hold my skimmer, RDSB, cryptic zone, roller mat and future frag space.

81FC2947-D629-4B01-8029-4FC0176F8D65.jpeg
865BC0A1-ECC5-4E5F-84B0-BB531618BB3D.jpeg
D1BCADA7-D8D9-4B0D-87AE-9EB721D07161.jpeg
9704BBA0-1FD0-40AF-9B5B-BDD552C8A493.jpeg

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like anything in any hobby...diy build, trade or buy pieces that make your collection happy to you...cars, cards or aquarium equipment.

I'm guilty of an expensive color matched sump down to the pvc and fittings. Good quality name brand filtration components too. I have a FOWLR system and enjoy the variety of aggressive or non-reef fish I've had over the years. The custom color matched equipment is part of the hobby for myself. Corals are just shiny rocks to me.. I've seen Home Depot sponsored sumps with $2K plus of lighting and dosing automation..nuts to me but the hobby has evolved. To each is own, different strokes for different folks.

Back