Why sterilize QT tank after fish have been through?

Do you always sterilize your QT tank after fish have gone through it

• Yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Most of the time

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning Reef2Reef,

This is more of a curiosity question. I currently have two QT tanks that I always sterilize after each use with Vinegar, bleach & water.

The other day it hit me, if I have utilized copper, Prazipro & possibly general cure but than used Cuprisorb and had healthy fish come out of QT tank into DT why am I sterilizing the QT if I have more fish I would want to bring in to start the process over.

@Jay Hemdal Would love to hear your feedback on this Jay!

Thanks!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time I sterilize a quarantine tank is if it held fish that had an unknown, or uncontrolled disease. If it was a successful quarantine, you are correct in that the tank is no more infected than the fish that you moved to your DT. I like to keep QT up and running so that if I ever need to separate a fish, I have a place to move them to. I will keep the biofilter going by either feeding the tank a bit of food from time to time, or keeping a spare fish in it.
A well-seasoned QT goes a long way in having a successful quarantine run! So many times people battle ammonia issues in a new tank while trying to quarantine their fish...always more difficult.

NEVER use vinegar to sterilize a tank if you are using bleach! If you allow the two to come in contact directly, you'll create chlorine gas! Just use bleach and water and rinse well and use a dechlorinator.

jay

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only time I sterilize a quarantine tank is if it held fish that had an unknown, or uncontrolled disease. If it was a successful quarantine, you are correct in that the tank is no more infected than the fish that you moved to your DT. I like to keep QT up and running so that if I ever need to separate a fish, I have a place to move them to. I will keep the biofilter going by either feeding the tank a bit of food from time to time, or keeping a spare fish in it.
A well-seasoned QT goes a long way in having a successful quarantine run! So many times people battle ammonia issues in a new tank while trying to quarantine their fish...always more difficult.

NEVER use vinegar to sterilize a tank if you are using bleach! If you allow the two to come in contact directly, you'll create chlorine gas! Just use bleach and water and rinse well and use a dechlorinator.

jay
Yes, I meant I use one or the other for cleaning but thank you for pointing this out! Always appreciate your feedback. You my friend, are the best resource I’ve found on Reef2Reef

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never sterilize either and successfully ran though multiple fish though it! As jay as said great for seasoned back up in case of emergency. I am currently running a qt empty now for months and feed it occasionally for that purpose. Wife is wondering why I am keeping an empty tank. Lol

OP
OP
EakTheFreak

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never sterilize either and successfully ran though multiple fish though it! As jay as said great for seasoned back up in case of emergency. I am currently running a qt empty now for months and feed it occasionally for that purpose. Wife is wondering why I am keeping an empty tank. Lol
That’s hilarious and my wife will most likely wonder the same now haha.

greetl01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jay
Can I use water conditioner from my freshwater tank as a dechlorinator?

Quiverfull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do have a QT with an unknown disease and have treated with Metroplex and Kanaplex, how would you clean it and not disturb the biological filter in the HOB or do you have to?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back