so lets try this picture again...

taken 5 minutes after installing the H380

PBS0GQn.jpg

Jonathan Troutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my chaeto growing under two smaller reefbrite strips currently. 12leds totally. Getting ready to redo the fixture though put different leds in em. But that being said the two reefbrites has grown the chaeto fairly well. Could be better. But I’ve read good things about those kessil lights for chaeto growth. Good to see you are having the same results!

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those looking for H380 performance with the ability to tune intensity, I have good news for you!

Kessil Announces the New H160 Tuna Flora LED Grow Light
-RhYofEG7waooy5YCvidVgEK2m_t0wcTBPLb6EZpU-tKo5pW5-o2v5ul-ygxPmJPxD1CZItdsZD1I-FgnAO0WxJ-pMLJh6RgqL0I0jm3s9a5KsZSR8ePYWccWp75=s0-d-e1-ft

The H160 Tuna Flora grow light is a groundbreaking full spectrum LED grow light featuring
spectrum and intensity control through Kessil logic, allowing for the best possible yield for your
plants or algae.
Richmond, CA - April, 2018 – Kessil Lighting, a leading manufacturer of LED aquarium and
horticulture lighting, is proud to announce the release of the H160 Tuna Flora. Joining the
popular H80 Tuna Flora and H380 Spectral Halo II grow lights, the new H160 Tuna Flora is the
successor to our wildly successful, groundbreaking, and very first Kessil product line, the H150
series.
The H160 Tuna Flora is a 40 watts
fixture featuring the latest and most
efficient patented Dense Matrix LED
technology from Kessil’s parent
company DiCon Fiberoptics, Inc. The
Dense Matrix array delivers powerful
and penetrating light that takes
advantage of our proprietary blend of
spectrum for growing, Tuna Flora. Like
the H80 and H1200 Tuna Flora , the
H160 Tuna Flora features four efficient
spectrums - BLUE, GROW, BLOOM,
RED - in one single fixture, offering the best possible growth and yield in plants and algae. The
light has perfectly blended wavelengths including UV and Infrared (ranging from 380-780 nm),
enhancing photosynthetic efficiency, and is perfect for plants, microalgae, and macroalgae,
making it a great addition to any growing operation or refugium.

upload_2018-4-27_15-13-0-png.731285

upload_2018-4-27_15-13-23-png.731286

The H160 Tuna Flora has intensity and spectrum knobs control, and includes 0-10V external
control, being compatible with both the new H-Series Spectral Controller and the award-winning
A-Series Spectral Controller. The new H-Series controller allows user to take full advantage of
the Tuna Flora spectrums for dedicated grow cycles, mimicking daily light patterns as well as
and seasonal changes through the Auto Mode.
“The H160 integrates the advanced technology and spectrum of the H80 Tuna Flora into the
much loved and classic form factor of the H150 offering more power at an affordable price ”
says David Lowry, Brand Manager at Kessil, “With the advanced technology, unique spectrums,
and innovative features, the H160 Tuna Flora perfectly fills the gap between the H80 and H380
for plant and algae growing.”

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those looking for H380 performance with the ability to tune intensity, I have good news for you!

Kessil Announces the New H160 Tuna Flora LED Grow Light
-RhYofEG7waooy5YCvidVgEK2m_t0wcTBPLb6EZpU-tKo5pW5-o2v5ul-ygxPmJPxD1CZItdsZD1I-FgnAO0WxJ-pMLJh6RgqL0I0jm3s9a5KsZSR8ePYWccWp75=s0-d-e1-ft

The H160 Tuna Flora grow light is a groundbreaking full spectrum LED grow light featuring
spectrum and intensity control through Kessil logic, allowing for the best possible yield for your
plants or algae.
Richmond, CA - April, 2018 – Kessil Lighting, a leading manufacturer of LED aquarium and
horticulture lighting, is proud to announce the release of the H160 Tuna Flora. Joining the
popular H80 Tuna Flora and H380 Spectral Halo II grow lights, the new H160 Tuna Flora is the
successor to our wildly successful, groundbreaking, and very first Kessil product line, the H150
series.
The H160 Tuna Flora is a 40 watts
fixture featuring the latest and most
efficient patented Dense Matrix LED
technology from Kessil’s parent
company DiCon Fiberoptics, Inc. The
Dense Matrix array delivers powerful
and penetrating light that takes
advantage of our proprietary blend of
spectrum for growing, Tuna Flora. Like
the H80 and H1200 Tuna Flora , the
H160 Tuna Flora features four efficient
spectrums - BLUE, GROW, BLOOM,
RED - in one single fixture, offering the best possible growth and yield in plants and algae. The
light has perfectly blended wavelengths including UV and Infrared (ranging from 380-780 nm),
enhancing photosynthetic efficiency, and is perfect for plants, microalgae, and macroalgae,
making it a great addition to any growing operation or refugium.

upload_2018-4-27_15-13-0-png.731285

upload_2018-4-27_15-13-23-png.731286

The H160 Tuna Flora has intensity and spectrum knobs control, and includes 0-10V external
control, being compatible with both the new H-Series Spectral Controller and the award-winning
A-Series Spectral Controller. The new H-Series controller allows user to take full advantage of
the Tuna Flora spectrums for dedicated grow cycles, mimicking daily light patterns as well as
and seasonal changes through the Auto Mode.
“The H160 integrates the advanced technology and spectrum of the H80 Tuna Flora into the
much loved and classic form factor of the H150 offering more power at an affordable price ”
says David Lowry, Brand Manager at Kessil, “With the advanced technology, unique spectrums,
and innovative features, the H160 Tuna Flora perfectly fills the gap between the H80 and H380
for plant and algae growing.”

I should have waited. Maybe I can trade my H380 for the H160. This new light will be popular

Marc88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed my Growstar yesterday. We will see how it works

20180331_123916.jpg

I feel I should update this for anyone lurking curious about the growstar light from amazon. I had to buy new cheeto but here is the comparison.

April 22 on the right any may 2 on the left. As long as you have nutrients in your system this light will grow algae well.

20180503_050303.jpg

DieHardPhotog-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, what were your nutrient levels when you couldn't keep the chaeto? I have a H380 and mustn't have enough nutrient levels (No=12PPM and Ph=0.06/0.08)
We've been experiencing similar problems growing macro algae. Started the refugium off with the H380 because of the BRS videos. Even so, with a 29 gallon refugium, we can't seem to get the production from the macro algae. We gave up on chaeto and switched to sea lettuce (ulva). It's been a little better but even that hasn't seen the kind of results we were expecting.

DieHardPhotog-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add iron? Photoperiod?
No, we did note add iron.

We initially had the light turned on for 8 hours which we found was probably too long for new chaeto. We ordered another batch and started out slower (started at 5 hours per night) but that didn't seem to work either. After that, we switched to sea lettuce (ulva) hoping to get better results on from the change.

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW to anyone that has the issue of their chaeto growing and then it seems to just stop, trim it back a considerable amount. I've found with my system that the chaeto gets to a certain size and then stops growing, as it drops the nutrients. So I trim it back to almost nothing, and that seems to give the nutrients a chance to increase a little before the chaeto starts consuming it rapidly again, and before you know it i'm back up to a basketball of chaeto. I trim mine from a basketball down to about a baseball.

Rick Krejci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good plan...starting slowly and monitoring and measuring. Shouldn't be any issues running short, other than less PH stability effect.

I'm waiting for them to come out with an adjustable version, since most of their lights have that feature. And with a 10v control line so a controller could adjust the ramp of light. Even the H80 has those features. And/or a medium (H180???) version for smaller fuges.
Looks like me dreams have been answered in the H160 announcement...nice!

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk Reef Supply is now stocking the H160's!

Rick Krejci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how is the h160 working out for you?

I replaced my H380 with the H160 and I really like it a lot better than the H380. It's a more appropriate size for my reefer 250, so I let the photoperiod be longer and less intense, so I get more gentle PH changes between day and night. I'm able to control it with my Apex so I start and stop more gradually with a one hour ramp-up.

My Chaeto growth and nutrient uptake is about the same since the bulbs are on longer and I had quite severely shaded the H380 to keep stray light to a minimum.

If I had a lot bigger tank, I'd consider keeping the H380 since it is more powerful and not much more expensive.

Rick

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back