Why the Kessil H380 was my best purchase ever

Hulley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how is the h160 growing the chaeto?

I haven't set it up yet. I just now got my tank installed in my office and still need to do some plumbing in my basement for the water mixing station and ATO system and/or water change system. This time of year is very busy for me so I've been doing little by little. Hope to get it wet by end of month.

Toomnymods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up my kessil h380 4 days ago and had a gigantic hair algae problem in my 220 gallon display tank. I took all the liverock out of the tank and soaked it in 1/2 gallon 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide to 10 gallons of saltwater. This turned all the hair algae to mush instantly and melted it right off the rocks. Problem is I’m sure the 200+ lbs of marco liverock has a lot of bound up phosphates in the liverock. Would you guys reccomend running gfo in conjunction with the kessil H380 till the phosphates are totally down to .02? Or let the chaeto try and take over?? Really dont want this gha crud back in my tank. Been battling it for over a year now.

rcpalmer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up my kessil h380 4 days ago and had a gigantic hair algae problem in my 220 gallon display tank. I took all the liverock out of the tank and soaked it in 1/2 gallon 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide to 10 gallons of saltwater. This turned all the hair algae to mush instantly and melted it right off the rocks. Problem is I’m sure the 200+ lbs of marco liverock has a lot of bound up phosphates in the liverock. Would you guys reccomend running gfo in conjunction with the kessil H380 till the phosphates are totally down to .02? Or let the chaeto try and take over?? Really dont want this gha crud back in my tank. Been battling it for over a year now.
Here is my experience. I have a 120 gallon and 56 gallon display tank going to one sump. I had Marco rock in the one tank for years before plumbing them together. I had GHA I would manually remove. It would be back the next day. I have a 15"×15"×8" area I put cheato in with a h380. I had the cheato die 3 times. My sump would get over run with GHA. I banded my head against the wall several time. I tried several different things but finally I was able to get rid of most of the gha. I had to shorten the photo period of the cheato until it started to grow. The increases it an hour a week. I would get gha growing on the cheato. I just kept removing it. Finally the cheato started growing. Now I have to keep it trimmed back to stay in its area. I have turned off all my other filtration including protein skimmer. Water comes out of tank runs through cheato and gets pumped back into tank. I have auto feeders that pump pellets 5 times a day. I also make a homemade frozen food. I have been throwing in a few cubes of that along with spot feeding reef roids and a few other things. I have to keep a close eye on.my phosphate. If not it will drop to 0. I use the Hanna phosphorus checker. I try to maintain 20ppb. I am getting ready to add some more fish to help maintain the levels.

Short story is it may take a few months to get everything stabilized but once you do gha will.not be a problem.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as a person that struggled with gha for 2 years before adding a refugium and managing to beat it I would recommend you just do your best to ignore your frustration about how things have been and just focus on where you want them to be. what I mean by this is, you have initiated a new intervention to beat the gha and it isn't a good strategy to not give the system time to sort things out before you start piling on more nutrient reduction methods. just be patient and let the chaeto sort the gha out for you and if 2 months passes with little to no progress then implement a change.
I can also tell you from experience, green hair algae may be ugly but it is nowhere near as awful as being hasty with nutrient reduction by adding a bunch of methods, running a system that is basically sterile of PO4 and NO3 which opens the door for dinoflagellates to move in and kill your entire tank. just be patient!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
as a person that struggled with gha for 2 years before adding a refugium and managing to beat it I would recommend you just do your best to ignore your frustration about how things have been and just focus on where you want them to be. what I mean by this is, you have initiated a new intervention to beat the gha and it isn't a good strategy to not give the system time to sort things out before you start piling on more nutrient reduction methods. just be patient and let the chaeto sort the gha out for you and if 2 months passes with little to no progress then implement a change.
I can also tell you from experience, green hair algae may be ugly but it is nowhere near as awful as being hasty with nutrient reduction by adding a bunch of methods, running a system that is basically sterile of PO4 and NO3 which opens the door for dinoflagellates to move in and kill your entire tank. just be patient!

Agreed, pick a strategy and give it time. Phosphate that's bound in rock will leach as needed, you really can't suck it out without causing other issues/problems. I just went through this myself and it took time for the phosphate to clear out. Water changes, scrubbing rocks and having the right CUC helped for the most part, but giving it time and staying on top of it was the key.

Toomnymods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, pick a strategy and give it time. Phosphate that's bound in rock will leach as needed, you really can't suck it out without causing other issues/problems. I just went through this myself and it took time for the phosphate to clear out. Water changes, scrubbing rocks and having the right CUC helped for the most part, but giving it time and staying on top of it was the key.

I think i finally got it beat :)
Dipping every rock into 1/2 gallon of 35% medical grade hydrogen peroxide mixed with 10 gallons of saltwater instantly melted it all. I was just worried about it coming back.
So i ordered the best macro algae light money could buy. Bought a kessil h380 and a softball size of chaeto and started dosing iron to help it really grow and suck those nutrients out. After 3 weeks it has grown into a basketball sized mob of thick green chaeto. Theres no doubt that this is working finally.

Now i can finally start adding all those frags that have been on frag racks for nearly a year to my liverock. Didnt want to add them to the liverock till i was certain the hair algae plague was gone for good.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back