Why the Kessil H380 was my best purchase ever

Discussion in 'Aquarium Lighting By Dana Riddle' started by crabs_mcjones, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Berlibee

Berlibee ReefHacks Team R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Build Thread Contributor

It's funny; I have a very different situation. I've got the Kessil H380 and was using it with chaeto over a 7.5 refugium. Chaeto was becoming white and dying, but only in the middle of chaeto like a hot spot. I've tried everything, changing position, higher .... or away from the refugium, etc. nothing was helping it was too strong, and I think was "burning it" it was not growing at all. A lot of nutrients in the water. So decided to give a try to a cheap light, this one - Amazon link. 25$ ... I run it for about 50 days now, absolutely no changes in pH comparing to Kessil, no more burning chaeto and Caulerpa growing like crazy. I run a Reefer 250 with ATI 4 bulbs + 6 arrays LED from NanoBox so it's a lot of light as well. All nutrients are under control, feeding heavy twice a day with 12 fishes in the main display.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

crabs_mcjones likes this.

2. crabs_mcjones

crabs_mcjones I was a drab little crab once R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

How far away from the waters surface did you have the light? And how long of a photo period were you running?

3. Berlibee

Berlibee ReefHacks Team R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Build Thread Contributor

9" from the water surface and 12" to the chaeto surface. 10 hours a day.

4. drtrash

drtrash Well-Known Member

I have been running the h80 for 2 months and works well for small fuge but upgrading to a larger system and wondering what the light spread is for the 380? Maybe time for upgrade. Let me know if anyone started with h380 and wants a h80

5. Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory Well-Known Member

I was running the H380 and had to keep switching back to my TaoTronics light. My chaeto exploded under the TaoTronics [36watt] and then died off under the H380. Fell apart/shrunk and didn't grow at all. I tried with the H380 for 12hrs/night and 6hrs./night and couldn't get chaeto to grow. As soon as I put the TaoTronics back on the chaeto exploded again.

I am dosing iron and manganese directly into the refugium but still couldn't get it to grow. Just sold/shipped my H380. I'm glad you guys are finding success with it, but my phosphates doubled when I put the H380 on and the chaeto shrunk.

6. Forsaken77

Forsaken77 Well-Known Member

Does it grow algae in the rest of the sump?

7. crabs_mcjones

crabs_mcjones I was a drab little crab once R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor

Not really, i think because the chaeto is taking up so much other algae doesn't have a chance to establish itself

8. rcpalmer1

rcpalmer1 Well-Known Member

I just mounted my h380 today. Tonight will be my first night. I hope I have the same results. I am only running one AP700 on my tank. I am still undecided if I am going to upgrade my DR lights.

9. Ares

Ares Well-Known Member

I've been running my H380 for 6 weeks now. It took a couple weeks for the chaeto to take off and I experienced the white/burning that others have mentioned. I did hear about this from BRS that it could happen until the cheat acclimated. I was able to use another powerhead and keep the cheat ball tumbling which helps. I run it 16 hours a day. This is all part of running the Triton method on my system which has elements to help the chaeto grow.

So much better than the cheap lights. Nitrates are 0 (Salifert) and Phosphate is .024 (Hanna Phosphorous ULR converted).
    Bubble algae in the display and hair algae in the display have died off.

Crabs... not to hijack your thread, PM me if you prefer, but I'm going to setup a new tank, 220 (6') or 265 (7') and can't decide if I should go with 2 or 3 AP700s with T5 supplement, or 6/7 of A360WE (1 per foot) with T5 supplement. Sounds like you're having a lot of success with the APs and the H380 in the fuge. I may go add a second H380 to my 60 gallon fuge on that setup...

10. crabs_mcjones

That's a good question. There are pluses and minuses both ways. The nice thing about the A360s is that you can daisy chain them together and use the spectral controller or your apex, but you need more lights. the ap700 you don't need as many lights and they're more powerful than the a360 and cover better, however I've heard people mention that if the power goes out you can potentially loose the master slave relationship between the lights. And The WiFi app still needs some work that I and other users have emailed kessil about, just waiting to hear back. I hate to bother him but @Ryanbrs from BRS had the ap700s on the BRS160 but then switched to multiple A360's. Perhaps he could shed some kessil light on the subject :) if it were me I would do the AP700's

Radman73 and Ares like this.
  11. Ryanbrs

Ryanbrs Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor

The Kessil t5 combo is my current go-to light. It just looks and performs better than any other led option the team has used. There are lots of good led options but most either have disco or coverage issues that prevent me from personally using them on my own tanks. It’s just a preference thing, I also don’t care about sliders and phone apps. I just want it to grow corals and make the tank look as good as possible.

As to 700 or 360? The 700 is lower profile, looks nice, higher output and wider spectrum but the slave master relationship is not reliable enough for anyone who has to unplug them or looses power frequently.

Here at the shop with video we have constant needs to power the tank down and it just became such an annoyance that I had to go back to the 360s. After making the change I have to say I like the ability to space the 360s the way I want, I have them turned down to half power anyways and I prefer the manual controls over messing with WiFi and phone apps.

All that said if I didn’t have a hood I would stay with the 700s because they simply look so much better above the tank and there is less than 1/3 the cords. That kind of thing matters to me.

bdejong1112o, Ares and crabs_mcjones like this.
  12. crabs_mcjones

Thank you Ryan :D one thing I hope is that someone at kessil sees your video or reads the thread, and they make these changes that we want to the App. Any chance at getting a killer deal on the Aquatic Life hybrid fixture so I can try out this kessil t5 combo ;);) lol

13. 1stNoel

1stNoel Well-Known Member

I have both types of Kessil lights and I haven't experienced that power issue (and I live in Florida where thunderstorms and hurricanes frequently cause power loss). The app issues many refer to were fixed over one year ago. Between the two lights, there is a definitive difference in coral color pop. For that alone, I prefer the AP700.

My only complaint with the light is that it's a powerful Death Star that will obliterate your corals like the planet Alderaan if you go too high too fast with the intensity.

Props to BRS and their videos. I wish I would've had that PAR setting data when I first bought the light.

Ares, Radman73 and crabs_mcjones like this.
  14. Ares

Ares Well-Known Member

Thanks for the perspective Ryan. I’ve watched the BRS videos and have been convinced to go Kessil and T5 combo. Sounds like 360 or 700 can’t go wrong with either. I need to find someone local with a 700 so I can mess with it and see it in person.

15. hart24601

hart24601 Well-Known Member

The orpheks didn’t change your mind eh?

I don’t have a sump system anymore but use the 380 to grow nephentes pitcher plants in my external overflow (fw). It’s been working great as the hydroponic system is somewhat a new idea with pitcher plants.

16. 10Seconds

10Seconds Well-Known Member

Im using the TaoTronics 36w in my fuge on my 220 sps tank and have been pretty happy with it. Maybe I dont know what I am missing but thats a big price difference to check it out.

17. Ryanbrs

lol I’ve told them directly and applied as much pressure as I can.
    one important note is we have a very complex network here that goes way beyond a home environment and like 50+ WiFi devices running right next to it. This is a special case.

Ares and crabs_mcjones like this.
  18. Ryanbrs

Orpheks changed my mind enough to try them. On paper they should be the solution to many issues, particularly distribution. Color is better for sure but shimmer is a step down from kessil t5 combo. Nature of being able to see them all in person is you get really picky :)

hart24601 and crabs_mcjones like this.
  19. drtrash

Looking forward to a new h380 that has adj intensity. Common issue is burning chaeto, especially when growth is low. Could raise and lower butalot of work, bring out the knob. Triton method seems to be working like a over sized skimmer where it kicks in when doc is high and produces low skimmate when not. Chaeto growns when nutrients are up and burns, goes dormant or crashes when N&P are 0. Need to adj light for lower growth ( my opinion).

20. drtrash

Have ap700 with 2-t5 bulbs, incredible combo, is it needed debatable but adds a richer color to fill in any shadows. Only run 3 hrs

Ares and crabs_mcjones like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted