Why the Kessil H380 was my best purchase ever

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I started out at 2hrs for the first night, then 3hrs the second night, by the 4th night, I didn't see any burnt tips or melting, so pushed it to 6hrs and by weeks end, I increased the time to 12hrs and I didn't have any negative effects. I contribute this to the elevated nutrients in my system, without them, I would've seen some damage to the chaeto for sure.
I wouldn't recommend this route to anyone, especially anyone who's new to refugiums and the Kessil H380. I just wanted to share my results and method with everyone here. Go slow!

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it's growing my cheato just fine. At first, I thought it might just be the bundles of cheato "unravelling" but monitoring it, and the lack of algae growth in the DT, it's definitely growing. My cheato is not tumbling, just sitting at the bottom of a standard 75 that acts as my fuge.

wopadobop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chaeto from algae barn basically came in as a bunch of bits . Stuff gets everywhere at first. I have yet to figure out the best flow routing to keep the stuff from plugging up the weir comb . But it’s growing just fine . Mine tends to float to the top as it gets into photosynthesis.

Ds04384

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had exactly the same problem with H80 the cheato disappear and then switched to IMG_5357.JPG 380 it kicked off great its not tumbling every now and then i flip it over
this is a month+ old photo its have improve a lout and very happy with the light and won't change it
the fuge is ca 170litres and return comes to it and a sicce pump to increase flow and also slip the reactor pump to put water back to it
haven't started dose iron so will follow this tread

Do your mangroves seem to like the light?

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm growing Xenia, shrooms and polyps under a h80 in my fuge and they love it. My nutrients are actually too low 0 ppm nitrates since I added the Xenia so I'm working on feeding my coral more to add nutrients to the water. My fuge is definitely doing its job.

a8247620cc9974eecacb6ad3ef66758d.jpg

Tobbe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your mangroves seem to like the light?
took 2 months but finally i get some leaves and the roots grow every day :)
some cheato have turned little light directly under the 380 then i don't flip it over and forgot to do it
but i have to say mangroves love the light and are more or less straight under the cluster

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
took 2 months but finally i get some leaves and the roots grow every day :)
some cheato have turned little light directly under the 380 then i don't flip it over and forgot to do it
but i have to say mangroves love the light and are more or less straight under the cluster
Something i'm trying now to avoid the burning, another user in this thread (cant find it right now) said they run their H380 for 3 hours, off for an hour, on for 3 hours, off for an hour and on for a final 3 hours, then an hour of darkness and their main lights come on and it's been working well for them :)

Tobbe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sound like a wise man , i have it on hole night so its not so strange i blast it little to much but i need to flip it so its my fault
might go the way you describe

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something i'm trying now to avoid the burning, another user in this thread (cant find it right now) said they run their H380 for 3 hours, off for an hour, on for 3 hours, off for an hour and on for a final 3 hours, then an hour of darkness and their main lights come on and it's been working well for them :)

I am running mine 2 hours on, 2 hours off throughout the night and even on for an hour here or there during the day.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm running mine from 10pm to 8am, I had to cut back 2hrs and I may have to cut back a little more? My problem isn't burning tips, but rather the chaeto/h380 are too efficient at removing nutrients and my sps are hungry! Also, my bio-load is low right now, not enough fish, but I have two flasher wrasses in QT right now and I hope to get more fish in QT soon. I'll try to take a pic of my green mass.

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do these lights spill into the room? I already have blue glow pouring out my windows, the last thing I need purple lights too, especially 24hrs a day. o_O

Bronx19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just emptied half a bucket of caulerpa out of my sump. Only the top gets light and it was all green throughout, all 6" deep of it. I've got some SPS that are peeling on the tips right now so I'm thinking the macro is drawing too much.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my H380 in the other day. Chaeto coming from Algae Barn hopefully tomorrow. My tank is already pretty low on nutrients on paper but I do get some minor algae growth in the display when I feed pellets. My new Moorish will only eat pellets and is slow at eating so I'm having to overfeed at the minute. Curious to see how the Chaeto does. Wonder if I will have to Nitrate dose down the line.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 30.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back