Why won’t my corals grow?

SolarReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attached are my tank parameters. My torches hammers bubble and xenia seem to be doing just fine. But my goni won’t open or extend, and my chalice and war Coral are dying. They’re losing there color and are turning gray. I feed reef roids twice a week and frozen every other day. I’m new to the hobby and I know there’s a lot of factors that could cause this. Let me know if you need any other information. Thanks

84790BB6-94A5-42E9-84D9-77E2EC592DD6.jpeg

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nitrates and phosphates are pretty high; but your real issue is likely that you have a new tank and it's just not providing optimal living conditions for coral right now. I'd focus on the corals that are doing well for you right now, and build up your biome by adding other hardy softy and LPS species such as Grube's gorgonian and mushrooms, and something fun and colourful like a rock flower anemone. You'll have much better success if you let your tank mature and, if you don't rush things, I'm sure you'll have great success with a wide variety of coral types in the future.

OP
OP
S

SolarReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nitrates and phosphates are pretty high; but your real issue is likely that you have a new tank and it's just not providing optimal living conditions for coral right now. I'd focus on the corals that are doing well for you right now, and build up your biome by adding other hardy softy and LPS species such as Grube's gorgonian and mushrooms, and something fun and colourful like a rock flower anemone. You'll have much better success if you let your tank mature and, if you don't rush things, I'm sure you'll have great success with a wide variety of coral types in the future.
Thanks for the advice I thought I waited long enough and that my tank was stable enough but I guess not. My nitrates are very high I believe they are that high because I recently dosed some microbacter7 after a water change.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back