Why won’t my zoas open even though my parameters are normal?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Parameters- What test kits are you using ?
Age of tank?

If your polyps were previously open and have recently closed up, this should be taken as a serious sign of a water parameters issue. The first things I would check are ph and salinity. In my experience, zoas will close up if there are swings in salinity. Zoas must have iodide, not iodine in their water and under moderate light and water flow. They seem to do best in the lower half to third of the tank in an area of low-medium to medium-high flow. Too much flow may make it hard for the polyps to open. You will know your zoanthids are ‘happy’ if they open up and are fully extended without seeming to stretch so far upright.. The majority of zoanthids have symbiotic photosynthetic zooxanthellae (I dare you to try and say that three times quickly) and are therefore best kept with at least moderate aquarium lighting as mentioned for production of zooxanthele.
Zoanthids require the standard water parameters that are good for keeping just about any of your corals healthy. You’re aiming for water temperature about 78 F, salinity somewhere around 1.025 specific gravity) and normal hardness 8-11 dKH) and a pH around 8.1-8.3.

OP
OP
Mantiskid

Mantiskid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Age of tank?

If your polyps were previously open and have recently closed up, this should be taken as a serious sign of a water parameters issue. The first things I would check are ph and salinity. In my experience, zoas will close up if there are swings in salinity. Zoas must have iodide, not iodine in their water and under moderate light and water flow. They seem to do best in the lower half to third of the tank in an area of low-medium to medium-high flow. Too much flow may make it hard for the polyps to open. You will know your zoanthids are ‘happy’ if they open up and are fully extended without seeming to stretch so far upright.. The majority of zoanthids have symbiotic photosynthetic zooxanthellae (I dare you to try and say that three times quickly) and are therefore best kept with at least moderate aquarium lighting as mentioned for production of zooxanthele.
Zoanthids require the standard water parameters that are good for keeping just about any of your corals healthy. You’re aiming for water temperature about 78 F, salinity somewhere around 1.025 specific gravity) and normal hardness 8-11 dKH) and a pH around 8.1-8.3
Age of tank?

Zoanthids require the standard water parameters that are good for keeping just about any of your corals healthy. You’re aiming for water temperature about 78 F, salinity somewhere around 1.025 specific gravity) and normal hardness 8-11 dKH) and a pH around 8.1-8.3.
I’m using salifert to test my nitrates and nitritites and I’m using salifert to test my ammonia

OP
OP
Mantiskid

Mantiskid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Age of tank?

And my tank is over a year old

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read about the iodine before as well. I keep my nutrients very low at 2ppm nitrate and barely detectable pho’s. Had some zoas close up. Bought seachem reef iodide add just a little and we’ve since had nothing but success

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your Alk, calcium, mag, lights?? Ask these will help us work out what's up. Any other fish in the tank or corals near them? Pictures?

OP
OP
Mantiskid

Mantiskid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would help for you to post your numbers this way we can rule any of that out.
My alkalinity is 8 my salinity is 1.025 my calcium is 400ppm. My uv is 44 my violet is 54 my royal is 82 and my blue is 77. Which comes out 28 watts of power this only runs this much power for about 5 hours and my other 3 hours have lower intensities

OP
OP
Mantiskid

Mantiskid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see some algae growth so I’m going to use a turkey baster and see what comes off GENTLY

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
Mantiskid

Mantiskid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%