Wierd white ish film on hammer

Alexandros300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I'm fairly new to reef keeping, and my tank has been established for about 5 months. Stable parameters all in range, alk around 9.3, nitrates 5 ppm or lower, and phosphates sometimes on the high side of .5 (I use a reactor to bring it down below that). Salinity is 1.026, calcium around 400 and mag around 1380.

I have this branching hammer coral that opens everyday completely and extends what seems to be a healthy manner. I recently added a second pink hammer that is not fully extended yet and has been sort of halfway extended for the last 2 days since I just added it.

I noticed when my extended happy hammer closes now, there is this wierd film that forms between the heads. I can't tell if it is brown jelly disease or something else, and why if it is, it is still extended just fine during the day. Attached pics of wierd film at night, and healthy extension during day.

Can anyone identify what is going on, and have you treated it before?

20210709_014356.jpg 20210525_191314.jpg

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do divide to make more heads that could be what is going on. I would just keep an eye on it to see if it recedes more than just splitting. What did it look like before?

OP
OP
Alexandros300

Alexandros300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do divide to make more heads that could be what is going on. I would just keep an eye on it to see if it recedes more than just splitting. What did it look like before?
I don't recall much in terms of looks when it recedes, but I woke up today and it was still expanded in a healthy manner. I just don't recall a stretching film between the heads like that, they were just separate heads in its current form when I got it.

OP
OP
Alexandros300

Alexandros300

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A fellow hobbyist just said it looks like it was digesting mucus from whatever food trappings it may have similar to favia and other lps, as his hammers do that sometimes too. It is fully extended and healthy looking today, and the peach hammer I put in 2 days ago is extended more as well, just not as fast as the neon hammer did.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 48 48.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 54 54.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 23 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.0%
Back