OP
Drew Halliday

Drew Halliday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The llama side doesn't bother me. The only thing I would change is that ledge rock in the center with the completely straight bottom. My eye immediately goes straight to it because it seems out of place.
Ya I was noticing that straight line too. I’ll have to see if I can break it up with a hammer or something

Jenuvio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you saying move the arch on the left further right? Or turn the cantilevered rock to point straight out?

break the rock and use the broken piece as an island off to the corners!

990500F2-B86B-428C-B1DF-013EA5AA78C6.jpeg

OP
OP
Drew Halliday

Drew Halliday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to say it but, I'm with your wife.
I like low structures with lots of swim throughs. This allows for future upwards coral growth and encourages the fish to utilize the whole water column.

P9140008.JPG
I like that approach. I tried to do that at first but I got shot down real quick. I even showed pictures of before and after tanks but that didn’t work.

Although I do like that more rock gives more homes for sleeping. Also I think it is ironic your pictures show the fish at the bottom. I’m not saying they don’t use the whole tank, just having a chuckle.

A8C6FD83-8338-4E0E-AAF5-8266AED6D5D3.jpeg

OP
OP
Drew Halliday

Drew Halliday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
break the rock and use the broken piece as an island off to the corners!

990500F2-B86B-428C-B1DF-013EA5AA78C6.jpeg
@Drew Halliday, look up the rule of thirds and it may help you see additional layouts.

I thought about moving the left side rock work further in and I think that would match the rule of thirds better. The wife wanted it further over to balance the look of the fireplace, or something, which is to the left of it. I managed to get it off the glass. I will take that as a win. I think it works though.

The couches are on the right side so when you see it from the right side ( look at the right side picture) you get the impression that the gap on the left side is the same as the right and it makes the tank seem bigger than it is. At least that is the idea. Plus you wouldn’t be able to see the area to the left of the Rockwork anyways from sitting.

I also tried to use bigger rocks and cover more of the field of view up close and small cobbles and shorter rock in the back to give the illusion of more depth.

Also I am trying to use a long diagonal line from front left to back right to make the depth exaggerated. I’m trying to go for this picture. Props to whoever it is from. Mine may not be the right angle for the full affect but I think it helps. Hopefully I can use the extra gap and fill it with corals in a way that achieves that goal.

6D4FE4FC-901A-45DE-B1F4-201CBDDAF219.jpeg D5962D10-C36B-431A-9795-7DB9E31EBAA0.jpeg

OP
OP
Drew Halliday

Drew Halliday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We flipped the llamas head over. I think we are at the final design. Although keep your eye out for a “fluffy” rock. She would like a fluffy rock like the llama’s head to go under it so that it looks like it was an arch that broke.

C1E4F5CD-ACA6-41AD-94B2-D9062A525D97.jpeg

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea of getting her to help with it. She is not one to get her hands wet usually so this might be a good time to change that. She may realize that that rock has a nice home there, that it was meant to be there or maybe that she doesn’t really care. Worst case scenario we find something better. It is a little close to the surface.

But if we end up keeping the llama the important question is what do we name him/her? What do you think it looks like?

B6F23F26-ED52-4D22-B61C-F8FF44176A35.jpeg
KUZCO!!!

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that new design is good, and it deals with the llama. I still see pictures in the scape, but if you don’t, that’s what counts. If you are wanting to add depth to the aquarium, you could try adding a small island in front of the inner part of the left section of rock.

OP
OP
Drew Halliday

Drew Halliday

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that new design is good, and it deals with the llama. I still see pictures in the scape, but if you don’t, that’s what counts. If you are wanting to add depth to the aquarium, you could try adding a small island in front of the inner part of the left section of rock.
We have talked about adding an island. I like that. Ya there is something there still. She is saying maybe a dragon or some other animal. But I won’t be making waves if she doesn’t say I have to get rid of it.

Jaebster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have talked about adding an island. I like that. Ya there is something there still. She is saying maybe a dragon or some other animal. But I won’t be making waves if she doesn’t say I have to get rid of it.
That super white rock... looks like a panther/puma/jaguar head in the picture... lol. I gotta quit smoking this stuff. Lol

Back