OP
Anthonyl

Anthonyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.

Sorry its taken so long to get an update on here.. I have been working on many little projects now that the tank build has started.. Over the summer before I decided to build a giant tank I was working on an Idea I had for a completed automated saltwater mixing station. Spent a lot of the summer in the garage at the drawing board and building. It was a lot of fun. Then all of that got put on the back burner when I started planning the giant build, the good news is with the help brother in law we put our heads together and we have actually made something.. The whole system is DIY almost like reef pi but its not. My brother in law is a programmer so it was a huge help.

My system will control RODI water being made and flushing the system. It will control the water levels of the fresh water tank and the salt water tank as well as temperature. After many searches and many tests and failed Ideas I think I have finally come up with a system to actually automate the mixing of the salt in the water. The tests are looking promising but the true test will be once my water processing system is operational. I do apologize now, i wont be giving up any information or details on the design & device of the mixing system.

Added a couple photos of the Controller setup and the relay box. Super fun project to work on.
DIY aquarium controller.jpg
Controlled power box.jpg

The goal for my aquarium controller system is to take care of everything.. I know the apex system does water changes with the DOS but I want water changes done on the fly. Water flow will be measured going out of the tank and matched going back in by variable speed pumps.

So far with the tank, I have been back a fourth with what to do with the overflows. I had this great idea to use some black pipe cut in half. I wanted to have the overflows be low key so that you wouldn't really notice anything in the tank.
received_1102283300217721.jpeg

I used 3" ABS pipe that are 36" long, I think they looked really cool and would work great. After getting into measurements and just running through things I ran into a couple of issues. 1) How do I keep them in position without screws. 2) making sure they hide the bulkheads.

Well all that was solved when I found out if I put the bulkheads behind the pipe the water level will be too low in the tank and you will see it in the front viewing panel, which I don't want. So that idea went to the side.

I was able to get my hands on some black polycarbonate so time to make some ghost overflows.
I had to make myself a little jig to be able to make everything look the same.
received_719207389017886.jpeg

received_251606843042148.jpeg

I think it was working rather well.. Just using a plunge router and making 3 passes per cut. Was a little time consuming but pretty happy with it. But then I remembered seeing another design for over flows.

received_436844131029805.jpeg

And no I think I'm in love. These just look so much more professional.. So ill be making them with the closed tops. the slots are 1/4" and spaced at 1/2" on centers. The total length of the box will be 17"x6"x1.5". There will be a 1.5" bulkhead that holds it in place. Right now I have it planned for 2, if that's not enough then I will have to add another.. Have to wait for the fill and test..

I have finally got the first coat of pond shield on and its looking so good.. I cant wait to get the other coats on.. I shouldn't have started so many projects and just should concentrate on one. lol
received_141174500984446.jpeg

I'm so excited about this build..

My wife has actually started taken an interest to the tank and is asking questions so things couldn't be better..

Thanks a lot for checking out my build thread, please keep checking back..

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So mad... I'm the middle of building some ghost over flow boxes and the heat gun starts smoking..
received_423026042380974.jpeg

I think its starting to look pretty good..
Looks great and I love your attention to detail in all the diy.

OP
OP
Anthonyl

Anthonyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, its been a little while since the last up date and thought I would let everyone know on how things are going. I was working on a YouTube video from the start of the build to a more recent update but my ol' computer decided to pack it in and all my video I had was gone.... It really made me want say *$^@ the videos. Bust after family and friends talking me into it Hopefully soon I will have a video out with the progress minus the start of the build..

Fish room (4).jpg

I have almost got the wall completed, its going to stay like this for a while.. I'm hoping to be getting the glass for the tank in 2-3 weeks, so until then the wall has to stay unfinished. first I need to flip the tank and install the glass. second I want have a successful water test of the tank before doing all the finishing work. Its been cold out so I haven't go to do any of the painting I need to on the outer walls of the tank and or the walls inside the room to protect everything from water. Oh and BTW, I'm just waiting for my last pond armor kit to come and completed the last 2 coats of epoxy and the tank will be ready for the glass.

Fish room (2).jpg

This photo is behind the 600 gal DT tank. Not too much room to play in but I think it will be enough for what I would like to do. My plan was to have the sump on a stand behind the tank but with wanting to have some other QT tanks and such, the sump has to go back under the DT which is ok due to the stand being metal and lots of room.

Fish room (5).jpg

Please don't mind the mess. Still looking for places for everything. This is where all the controllers will be eventually all the pumps and lights and what ever else will be hooked into the DIY control that you see hanging, and I will have the mice little display to look at.
Fish room (7).jpg

Fish room (6).jpg

I dont have a lot of space to work with but once the 600gal is up and running I will be able to removed the 220DT and get some more cupboards and shelves in to clean everything up and make it look like something..

I really appreciated everyone checking out my build thread. Please stay tunes for more of the process..

Cabinetman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build!! I know the feeling you had when you got the stand in and looked at it lol. Like what the heck am I doing. But that only last a min and we keep pushing forward. Looking forward to seeing more!

OP
OP
Anthonyl

Anthonyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Everyone,

Its time for another update, and I'm happy to say that the glass is finally installed on the tank. I had to get many quotes as it was going to be a lot of money for the glass. Just for the main viewing panel my quotes ranged from $890 - $2600. Even though $2600 was pretty much delivered straight to my door, there was no way I was going to pay that for glass. I found an aquarium builder 3 hours away from me that gave me a smokin deal on low iron starphire glass, so I couldn't pass up that deal. Really it gave me and the wife a nice little day trip to get out of the city and a little break from the kids.

IMG_20210222_191341_443.jpg

I built the nice crate for the heavy 94x35x3/4 sheet of glass. In this picture the glass is loaded and we are on the way home.. I really wish I took more video of everything but its difficult when you suck at making youtube videos and can hold a camera and load glass at the same time.

Im hoping soon to have some video up on youtube of the build and where in at right now.

20210227_143835.jpg

The glass is installed and sitting for 2 weeks.. I bet some of you know how bad I want to flip this thing and fill it with water.. I used 5 tubes of ASI silicone that I picked up from the shop I got the glass. I figured they would have the stuff I would need if they build tanks every day. Still need to do some final touches on the silicone and let it sit.

I have almost completed my DIY ghost overflows, basically just have to glue the peices together and they will get fitted. This coming weekend the outside of the tank will be getting painted just to seal the wood from moisture and to start planning for plumbing.

Thanks for checking in...

Tony

OP
OP
Anthonyl

Anthonyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its time for another update.. I cant believe its been so long since the last one.. I have been caught up in all the other build threads as their systems are way bigger than mine and more interesting.

I was able to fill up the tank with water for its first leak test.
20210312_201823.jpg

20210313_155932.jpg

I added an air stone just so it actually looked full. I was so happy to finally get some water in this box. I let it sit for a week. I kept measuring and checking to make sure there was no warping or issues of the tank coming apart. I have to say everything was awesome.. Nothing moved all the measurements stayed where they were supposed to. I believe I could have gotten away with not having cross bracing in the middle of the tank due to how the top front beam was built but I didn't want to chance it.
20210314_120015.jpg

I did however borrow AlexG's Idea for the cross bracing and I have to say it was the best idea ever. Its going to allow for the most light coverage with very minimal shadowing..

So at the end of the week, my plan was to drain the tank and get it ready for rock work and sand. Literally as I was walking past the back of the tank I spotted something that was new to me.. As everyone one has herd from tiktok "oh no, oh on" ya that started playing in my head as my heart sank...
received_814482112482777.jpeg

Now, I had to stop and think for a minute due to the fact my kids were playing in the water and possibly could have spilled some water everywhere. I grabbed a fan and pointed it in the direction and started drying it out. So at that point the tank was not getting emptied cause i had to make sure there was nothing going on. Once the fan dried it out I used a multimeter to check the continuity on the wood too see if it was wet and I was not getting a reading so that made me feel better. I wanted to be sure so I stuck a piece of brown paper bag in the seam and left it over night to see if it was wet in the morning..

Next morning I ran to the tank to see if I had a problem and the proof was on the paper... The tank was getting drained and inspected for an issue on the inside. So, while I was waiting for the tank to drain. I ordered myself another kit of pond armor and waited.. The tank was finally pumped out and I was able to get my little guy to jump in and dry out the rest of the water.

I jumped in the tank and paid special attention to the area where to water was spotted.. I found some defects that looked like could be the cause. Im not sure how i missed these spots after many coats and inspections but I found fiberglass was lifted in one spot and one spot looked like maybe there was an air bubble that popped after filling with water. Anyhow it was enough of an issue that needed to be fixed... I sanded down the tank again and gave all the seems and corners a nice thick coat of pond armor and made sure there were no issues this time, and then another coat was done over the complete whole tank.

After the coating was cured and dried i Jumped back in ( its a real pain getting in and out of the 3' deep tank ). and checked over everything again. Even though the spot looked good and properly repaired I was scared and kind of smeared silicone over the area as well (covered by sand) as a back up. It will be under the sand so no 1 will see it...

After about 2 weeks I was finally able to get my rock to the point of starting to do some rock scaping. I figured this time before filling the tank I will get the rock in and fill it with RO water. As long as there is no leaks I'm not planning on emptying this tank anymore.
20210317_121813.jpg

20210411_135635.jpg

Rock scape is coming together nicely I think.. This is the first time using E-Marco 400 for the rock and I have to say.. I love this stuff. Very easy to use and holds really well... I found that have you set the rock and use the mortar, forget about it. If I was to move the rock at all it would come apart, even after its set for a couple hours... so I just leave it the 24 and it holds super strong.

Thanks so much for stopping by for a read,
and as always if you seen something I should be doing differently or if you have some better Ideas let me know..

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back