Wife Thinks I Love My Fish More Than Her - Aquarium Warmer Than The House This Winter!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I save alot of oil by insulating the plumbing in my house with cheap closed cell foam covers.
I save fuel bills by putting those cheap, closed cell foam covers in my wife's arms and legs. They also make elbows.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heat with oil and have hot water radiator heating.

I get incredible southern exposure! Looked at solar electric but super expensive.

Tell me about your passive solar heating??? Really intrigued!!!
The basic concept is a black container inside a clear container the plumbing works with no pump because of the themosiphon principal less dense hot water moves up and the colder more dense water goes downwards. A panel of 2l pop bottles can be hooked up to storage/your hot water tank or run to baseboard heaters to heat rooms. The heater can be made more efficient with a box placed around them painted black. They make commercial units that look better than the diy units but if you build a nice box with a tinted cover and place it on your roof it doesn't stick out at all. The solar heater in the first pic is about as basic as you can go but boy is it ugly.

Attachments

• diyplasticbottlesolarwaterheater.jpg
    diyplasticbottlesolarwaterheater.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 35
  • vacuum-tube-solar-collector-kit-srcc-certified-vt58-series-complete-with-manifold-frame-tubes-...png
    vacuum-tube-solar-collector-kit-srcc-certified-vt58-series-complete-with-manifold-frame-tubes-...png
    191.7 KB · Views: 36

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please R2R - help me save the marriage. Been bitter cold this winter and the fuel bills are crazy. Wife complaining that the aquarium (78 degrees) is warmer than the house (67 degrees). She says she is freezing and the fish laugh at her every time she walks by the aquarium.

Looking for some creative ways to:

1) Get the fish to stop taunting her
2) Explain humans are more temp tolerant
3) Save energy/save money
4) Reduce heating bill but keep wife warm
5) Anything that will help save the marriage and avoid my sleeping on the sofa!

Please help,
Frozen in NY
Maybe explain its more than just the fish you love about the tank……
No Way Beer GIF by Busch

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could offer to treat your wife as an equal to your tank. Buy an automotive dust tent (a clear plastic tent that surrounds your car in the garage to keep it dust free). It aught to fit nicely over a sofa and end table. Then add a space heater set to 78 degrees. Oh and throw in the fluffy pjs. Never hurts...

Coxey81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please R2R - help me save the marriage. Been bitter cold this winter and the fuel bills are crazy. Wife complaining that the aquarium (78 degrees) is warmer than the house (67 degrees). She says she is freezing and the fish laugh at her every time she walks by the aquarium.

Please help,
Frozen in NY

Tell her the tank is warmer cause the fish are always moving around and that if she would get up and move around she'd be warmer too.

Pro marriage tip there.

Lol

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why spouses say things like that. Just because we carp if they buy a new pair of shoes and then happily spend $200 to get some green water and bugs next-day-air freighted to us from across the country because the tank looks a little "off"...

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell her the tank is warmer cause the fish are always moving around and that if she would get up and move around she'd be warmer too.

Pro marriage tip there.

Lol
This “pro marriage tip” probably results in me sleeping on the sofa for the rest of my life…

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why spouses say things like that. Just because we carp if they buy a new pair of shoes and then happily spend $200 to get some green water and bugs next-day-air freighted to us from across the country because the tank looks a little "off"...
If she can’t understand green water and bugs, it’s going to be a long road ahead….

Cwgrl_Ldy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please help,
Frozen in NY
I was told "maybe if I had gills and lived in saltwater you'd pay me more attention".... while I was in the middle of dealing with a huge screw up on my part with my tank.....

FiddlersReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little extra humidity in the air during cold weather always makes it "feel" warmer inside right? That's why they have humidifier add-ons for furnaces. So tell her that the aquarium is actually helping the house feel warmer than it would without it.

And bigger tank would be even better at that... ;)

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little extra humidity in the air during cold weather always makes it "feel" warmer inside right? That's why they have humidifier add-ons for furnaces. So tell her that the aquarium is actually helping the house feel warmer than it would without it.

And bigger tank would be even better at that... ;)
And just think of how much money you would save on installing and maintaining that humidifier, the pads, and water bill...

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back