Wife Thinks I Love My Fish More Than Her - Aquarium Warmer Than The House This Winter!

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please R2R - help me save the marriage. Been bitter cold this winter and the fuel bills are crazy. Wife complaining that the aquarium (78 degrees) is warmer than the house (67 degrees). She says she is freezing and the fish laugh at her every time she walks by the aquarium.

Looking for some creative ways to:

1) Get the fish to stop taunting her
2) Explain humans are more temp tolerant
3) Save energy/save money
4) Reduce heating bill but keep wife warm
5) Anything that will help save the marriage and avoid my sleeping on the sofa!

Please help,
Frozen in NY
Okay this is kinda nuts haha. For one, it's not about loving the fish more, it's about giving them an appropriate environment, which includes temperature control and stable temperature equal to their natural habitat. I'm not sure how that's not understandable. Does she seriously think it's not fair to set their heater at 78 but keep your home thermostat at 68?

Some options for keeping your home warm that I use in my own space w/o increasing the thermostat (I also have mine set to 68):
Shades/blinds/curtains fully open to let the sun and warmth it brings in during the day.
Wear warm clothes.
Use a nice blanket -- you can buy a weighted and/or heated blanket for sleeping.
Aside from the blanket, my bedding is super comfy and warm to the point where I sometimes have to push it off at night until I get cold again.

There are probably others I'm not thinking of now and will almost instantly think of after I hit "post reply."

Edit: I did...

Houseplants add humidity and that makes it feel more warm.
And running a humidifier -- like someone else said, you can use RODI water in it.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please R2R - help me save the marriage. Been bitter cold this winter and the fuel bills are crazy. Wife complaining that the aquarium (78 degrees) is warmer than the house (67 degrees). She says she is freezing and the fish laugh at her every time she walks by the aquarium.

Looking for some creative ways to:

1) Get the fish to stop taunting her
2) Explain humans are more temp tolerant
3) Save energy/save money
4) Reduce heating bill but keep wife warm
5) Anything that will help save the marriage and avoid my sleeping on the sofa!

Please help,
Frozen in NY
If you get a big enough tank then your wife could swim in it and it will feel like she is in the Caribbean. ;) :rolleyes:

Not sure if it will work, BUT, its worth a shot...LOL!!!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sinking Days Of Our Lives GIF by Global Entertainment

You're in unrecoverable quicksand when a wife wants nothing to be worshipped 24/7 to build their sinking self esteem

Only way out is to find a Wife v2.0 whos solid on her own self esteem

Last edited:

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if I set my thermostat to 70, my wife is still too cold.

Flannel sheets.
Electric blankets or pads. Her sofa pad gets used by the dog more than her.
Dogs, but they may take up all the room that you would occupy so you're still on the sofa.
Mittens.

XtraKargo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay this is kinda nuts haha. For one, it's not about loving the fish more, it's about giving them an appropriate environment, which includes temperature control and stable temperature equal to their natural habitat. I'm not sure how that's not understandable. Does she seriously think it's not fair to set their heater at 78 but keep your home thermostat at 68?

Some options for keeping your home warm that I use in my own space w/o increasing the thermostat (I also have mine set to 68):
Shades/blinds/curtains fully open to let the sun and warmth it brings in during the day.
Wear warm clothes.
Use a nice blanket -- you can buy a weighted and/or heated blanket for sleeping.
Aside from the blanket, my bedding is super comfy and warm to the point where I sometimes have to push it off at night until I get cold again.

There are probably others I'm not thinking of now and will almost instantly think of after I hit "post reply."

Edit: I did...

Houseplants add humidity and that makes it feel more warm.
And running a humidifier -- like someone else said, you can use RODI water in it.
Exactly what we've done. More layers and as an added bonus heated toilet seats. She'll never complain again.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly what we've done. More layers and as an added bonus heated toilet seats. She'll never complain again.
Wait? They make HEATED toilet seats? For real?

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could be a game changer!?!?
I bet there is a version with vibrating seats. Relaxes the muscles in the lower back for a smoother experience. Then just add a
Squatty Potty, pick your tunes, and relax…
work tip GIF

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet there is a version with vibrating seats. Relaxes the muscles in the lower back for a smoother experience. Then just add a
work tip GIF
TMV - Too Much Visual!!!

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
work tip GIF
Of course there is always room for a Nano in the bathroom …..?

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course there is always room for a Nano in the bathroom …..?
Thought you guys were going to help me?

Wife already complains that I spend too much time in the bathroom. Now that the bathroom will be fitted with a nano and heated toilet seat - I will never leave!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 30.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back