WiFi Dongle is Finally Here!!

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
As many of you may have heard Kessil officially released the WiFi Dongle at MACNA and will be available for purchase in October 2019. We are very excited to finally launch this product we have been perfecting for so long. I'm here to answer any questions you may have about the WiFi Dongle. Ask Away!

saf1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Is it a standalone unit or can it integrate to controllers? Say Apex or GHL?

Second question. Let us say I have the existing controller I picked up to support the a360x's I have. Will the wireless dongle add any different functionality unique to it?

Last question - more of a suggestion :) How about a buy back if we choose to swap our X controller for a dongle? Or maybe give a bit of credit if I turn it in and buy another light fixture :) Pretty please?

Edit: Forgot to say thank you for the thread. Appreciate all that you do.

OP
Kessil

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
While this will be a stand alone unit it gives us the hardware and software to add apex compatibility that we previously did not have. Upon release the will have pretty much the same functionality as the Spectral X controller- there will be some minor additions such as more schedule points, longer effects, etc. But we do have a lot of software development in the works that will add additional features with apex compatibility being a top priority. The great thing about a wireless device like this is it will be very easy for us to keep adding features.

We have gotten a lot of questions about a buy back program while that is not something we have at the moment I will bring it up due to the amount of requests we have gotten.

saf1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
While this will be a stand alone unit it gives us the hardware and software to add apex compatibility that we previously did not have. Upon release the will have pretty much the same functionality as the Spectral X controller- there will be some minor additions such as more schedule points, longer effects, etc. But we do have a lot of software development in the works that will add additional features with apex compatibility being a top priority. The great thing about a wireless device like this is it will be very easy for us to keep adding features.

We have gotten a lot of questions about a buy back program while that is not something we have at the moment I will bring it up due to the amount of requests we have gotten.
Thank you. Great summary. Maybe the middle ground is X discount if we buy another light, etc. In any case thank you again and also the team for putting it together. I think a lot of people have been looking forward to the product. Me, I'm only recently into the Kessil lights with my a360x's. They are really great products and I like the form factor.

Keep up the great work!

kkiel02

View Badges
Reaction score
So just to confirm- you’ll need this dongle then the cable to connect the other 360x together? That way you don’t have to buy multiple dongles.

jgaepi

View Badges
Reaction score
As many of you may have heard Kessil officially released the WiFi Dongle at MACNA and will be available for purchase in October 2019. We are very excited to finally launch this product we have been perfecting for so long. I'm here to answer any questions you may have about the WiFi Dongle. Ask Away!
Lost me at dongle. :(

OP
Kessil

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
So just to confirm- you’ll need this dongle then the cable to connect the other 360x together? That way you don’t have to buy multiple dongles.
Yes if you want to use just one WiFi Dongle you will need k-Link Cables to daisy chain the lights together- one dongle can support 32 lights this way. If you didn't want to daisy chain you can use one dongle per a light.

OP
Kessil

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Lost me at dongle. :(
Just a fancy way of saying a device that plugs into our light (The A360X) that gives it the ability to be controlled through your smartphone via WiFi!

OP
Kessil

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you. Great summary. Maybe the middle ground is X discount if we buy another light, etc. In any case thank you again and also the team for putting it together. I think a lot of people have been looking forward to the product. Me, I'm only recently into the Kessil lights with my a360x's. They are really great products and I like the form factor.

Keep up the great work!
Yes we have discussed bundling options and with a light and dongle but haven't made any decision yet. Fingers crossed!

anonomous09

View Badges
Reaction score
Can't wait to buy it once there is Apex integration! On another note, I have a fabricated light stand that has the K Link cables inside and would be a pain to remove. Any issue with using a male to male adapter with the Dongle somewhere else?

OP
Kessil

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Can't wait to buy it once there is Apex integration! On another note, I have a fabricated light stand that has the K Link cables inside and would be a pain to remove. Any issue with using a male to male adapter with the Dongle somewhere else?
Yes the dongle will be able to used with a male to male USB-C extension cord in case you want to mount it outside your stand. If you have trouble getting WiFi service inside a canopy this would also be a useful option.

OP
Kessil

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
When do you think you’ll have all that built into your tuna models?
If we were to build it inside every light the cost would go up significantly. Having a modular design allows for lower production costs, ability to transfer WiFi to new future light models, and one signal for multiple lights (We already have a million signals bouncing around our home- our goal was to reduce the amount of interference)

The WiFi dongle and k-link daisy chain combo also leads to a more reliable/faster connection then traditional wireless.

jgaepi

View Badges
Reaction score
If we were to build it inside every light the cost would go up significantly. Having a modular design allows for lower production costs, ability to transfer WiFi to new future light models, and one signal for multiple lights (We already have a million signals bouncing around our home- our goal was to reduce the amount of interference)

The WiFi dongle and k-link daisy chain combo also leads to a more reliable/faster connection then traditional wireless.
I originally ordered the blue tuna, not realizing I needed a controller. Adding the controller would have put the total cost about $20 more than an AI. I’m comfortable with your price going up for built in.

kkiel02

View Badges
Reaction score
I originally ordered the blue tuna, not realizing I needed a controller. Adding the controller would have put the total cost about $20 more than an AI. I’m comfortable with your price going up for built in.
The only way I’d think they’d try this is to market them as a master unit which would probably just include the dongle to keep from having to make two models. Then they could sell a slave unit which would just include the k- link cable.

Is Reef Conservation/Stewardship a factor in your hobby decisions? (private poll)

• Very Important

Votes: 206 54.4%
  • Somewhat Imporatant

Votes: 126 33.2%
  • Not Too Important

Votes: 34 9.0%
  • Not Important At All

Votes: 13 3.4%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors