Wifi Module Please!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

shadow1013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who would like a module that allows you to connect your Apex to your wifi instead of needing to use a hardline cable or getting another companies "not supported" wifi repeater? I know you can have a CAT5 cable plugged into the Apex which is great if you have cables already run through your house but I'm sure most of yours do not. Not even my girlfriend's house does and it was built last year! :confused:

If Ecotech Marine can make the ReefLink to connect the Vortech and Radions to a persons wifi then I'm sure Neptune can do. Voice your requests here and maybe Neptune will answer our calls!

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most definitely, it would have to be cost effective though, I'm adding a router to extend my network then connect my apex to it. Should be about $100 since I'm using apple products.

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use an old router as well. Sometimes I wish everything had an Ethernet jack so it could all be connected that way. Much more reliable that wifi. I've had a lot of interference problems with other wifi devices.

aquaman30k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pickup an inexpensive router from pretty much anywhere and turn it into a network extender. Most allow this natively and for those that don't you can download DDWRT to flash to the router and unlock that capability.

jt17

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I too would like something to help those of us who know nothing about computers to connect to the internet. I ran an Ethernet cable to my apex and lightning took out the controller, twice. I now have to fumble my way through trying to set this up wirelessly. Would be nice to have a wifi module with a setup wizard.

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not disagree with you shadow. Ideally they would take one of those USB ports and simply allow you to plug in a USB wifi dongle rather than charging for a complete module that we all know would be over priced.

Mark426

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hardwired connections are going the way of CD's in the consumer market. For a while some new homes were being built with structured wiring (I built a few dozen) but that trend has run its course. I dont even bring it up to clients anymore, the response is always the same... " why would I want that, I connect to everything thru my wifi connection". Only thing thats really left with a wire are televisions.

MTWiley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will never be as reliable as hard wired, the fact of the matter is that wifi uses the 2.4 & 5 ghz which are used for numerous other applications such as cordless phones, etc. It's also subject to interference from things such as microwaves and even what your wall(s) are made out of. If you want reliability hard wire it, it's not difficult and if you're not a diyer you can hire it out for ~$70 which compared to what you'd spend on another module really isn't that bad. If you're okay with the potential for interference there are items on the market that accomplish what you're asking for at ~$20.

From neptune's business perspective do you really think it would make sense to invest in the r&d costs to come up with a custom module when the would be competition already has options that would do the exact same thing available for ~$20?

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will never be as reliable as hard wired, the fact of the matter is that wifi uses the 2.4 & 5 ghz which are used for numerous other applications such as cordless phones, etc. It's also subject to interference from things such as microwaves and even what your wall(s) are made out of. If you want reliability hard wire it, it's not difficult and if you're not a diyer you can hire it out for ~$70 which compared to what you'd spend on another module really isn't that bad. If you're okay with the potential for interference there are items on the market that accomplish what you're asking for at ~$20.

From neptune's business perspective do you really think it would make sense to invest in the r&d costs to come up with a custom module when the would be competition already has options that would do the exact same thing available for ~$20?
Yes :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back