Wild Australian Acropora Group Buy!!!- 12 WILD frags for ~$200-250

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!
Im trying to organize a group buy to purchase some wild acropora! So basically what would happen is I would order the coral, care for it while it settles in, frag it, and send the frags to you. The box im looking to get is $1200 for 12 large colonies imported straight from Australia. If we all get together and do this, I think it will work out to be a really good deal on some nice frags. If anyone is interested, please comment or pm me. I will pm you the written agreement if you are true interested to see if you agree to everything.
check out the acros im looking to get at this link! ACROPORA.html

looking for about 6-10 people

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your still gonna have to pay for shipping from LAX to you, then from you to whoever is involved.

100$ per colony seems like alot for a trans ship. Usually it's about 30$ per colony plus shipping costs(which is a couple hundred bucks) usually related to about 70$ per colony total cost. And usually that includes the 200$ air freight to your local airport

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your still gonna have to pay for shipping from LAX to you, then from you to whoever is involved.

100$ per colony seems like alot for a trans ship. Usually it's about 30$ per colony plus shipping costs(which is a couple hundred bucks) usually related to about 70$ per colony total cost. And usually that includes the 200$ air freight to your local airport

air freight is only $75 and I pay that when I get there. The colonies are $75 each, but then you have all the permits they have to pay and International shipping. I dont mind paying a little more than usually for healthy pieces. This place is supposed to be really good

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it will turn out to be $250 for 12 frags if there are 6 people involved. and about $175 for 12 frags if there are 10 people involved

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happens when the colonies arrive, and 1/2-1/3 of them RTN? What is the guarantee you are providing?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the company im ordering from has a DOA

Right. Perhaps you are not familiar with importing wild colonies— they look good when you get them, but typically 1/3 RTN within the first few days/week of having them in an aquarium. That is not covered be the wholesaler. And that is before attempting to take 12 frags from each colony.

I am asking how you intend to guarantee that each buyer receives 12 healthy frags. You are also providing a guarantee and refunds?

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. Perhaps you are not familiar with importing wild colonies— they look good when you get them, but typically 1/3 RTN within the first few days/week of having them in an aquarium. That is not covered be the wholesaler. And that is before attempting to take 12 frags from each colony.

I am asking how you intend to guarantee that each buyer receives 12 healthy frags. You are also providing a guarantee and refunds?

ah, i understand now. The person I talked to said they rarely have colonies die (of course he is going to tell me that). the cost of the box is $1200, so obviously if they all die I cannot refund everyone and pay that full price. Each of us is taking a risk buying these, BUT it is the same risk you take when you go to your LFS and buy a $200 coral. If it dies a month later, they won't do anything about it. By doing a group buy, we are all taking a chance, but we each won't be out much money as opposed to one person investing $1200 and losing it all. However, it is very unlikely that all of them will RTN. Just wondering, have you had wild acros do this on you before?

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah, i understand now. The person I talked to said they rarely have colonies die (of course he is going to tell me that). the cost of the box is $1200, so obviously if they all die I cannot refund everyone and pay that full price. Each of us is taking a risk buying these, BUT it is the same risk you take when you go to your LFS and buy a $200 coral. If it dies a month later, they won't do anything about it. By doing a group buy, we are all taking a chance, but we each won't be out much money as opposed to one person investing $1200 and losing it all. However, it is very unlikely that all of them will RTN. Just wondering, have you had wild acros do this on you before?

Yep I’ve both purchased wild colonies locally and imported them internationally while working at a local store.

So you are trying to import corals from a wholesaler, while providing zero guarantee to R2R members that they will receive healthy corals?

Yeah. Not a good plan, sir. If you can’t afford the loss, don’t import.

I for one would be pretty quickly filing a PayPal case against you to get my money back if I didn’t receive the 12 frags that were advertised.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I’ve both purchased wild colonies locally and imported them internationally while working at a local store.

So you are trying to import corals from a wholesaler, while providing zero guarantee to R2R members that they will receive healthy corals?

Yeah. Not a good plan, sir. If you can’t afford the loss, don’t import.

I for one would be pretty quickly filing a PayPal case against you to get my money back if I didn’t receive the 12 frags that were advertised.

I can see your concerns. thats why I was having all the members sign a written agreement saying they agree that im not liable and they could possibly perish. I truly do understand what you mean though. I can see how a group buy like this can go sideways

Back