Will 2 Genicanthus females usually co-exist?

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....... I didn't mind however as I'm not really a fan of the males (other genicanthus males on the othe hand are stunning).
I agree with what you said except this statement.

How can you say you are not a fan Wash your mouth out with soap:D Com'on look at it :p what a stunner
1611657877336.png

Ok I have to admit the females are quite attractive as well
1611658005206.png

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For almost any animals, they need to be near optimal first, or at least doing well, before they can normally spawn and sexually reproduce. One obvious exception is the "last ditch" spawn where an animal spawn right before they died.

IMO, Genicanthus are larger planktavores that needed open water, larger tanks with clean water and a lot of water movement. Most important thing that is lacking in most tank is the manner we feed our fish. Our tank are very lacking in food that suspended in the water column in comparison to the wild. IMO, a lot of the Genicanthus angels we keep will not sexually mature becasue we cannot provide the optimal condition for them. From my experienced, they are very active fish that is wide ranging in their swimming habit. Like many active planktavores, they require continuous food intake. I feed my tank a lot, I don’t see them have a bulging stomach, with food like some of my the other large fish.

Those of us that have a large tank, and feed a lot appropriate food in small amount each time will have much better success in keeping a thriving Gennicanthus angel, and have them sexually mature and spawn in our tank.

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Zionas
Can’t answer that question. I choose Watanabei because they are the smallest. They swim a lot. Fish with streamers are often open water fish that swim a lot.

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they’re all quite beautiful. :)

In terms of hardiness, would you place them on the hardy side? Would you say they’re a ‘beginner’ fish?

You mentioned that Watanabei can suffer from decompression issues but have you found it to be an issue with all species?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find Watanabei Angel to be quite hardy and easy to care for. Normally I am good I taken care of my fishes so you may find it otherwise. It is about as hard as getting Flame Angel to live in our tank.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Spotbreast and a Lamark's, both juveniles, both female. Best buddies. Hang out together all the time. No aggression, certainly.

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all of the Genicanthus species you don't need a mortgage to own, are reasonably hardy but they do need good water quality. I have never had an issue feeding them. The only issue, in the UK anyway, is some Watanabei exhibit swim bladder problems, they never seem to recover properly. I would never buy one without seeing it first. I have never seen any other Genicanthus with the issue.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember a time when you had 2 Spotbreast females? How did that work out?
Yes, I did... bought both together at the local fish store. One died within a few weeks, I never really knew why... Looked fine, was eating, no aggression that I noted, just didn't make it.

The other is still here, doing well, tripled in size.

On the 'hard to feed' question? Not in my experience. I feed a mixture of Rod's, LRS, PE Mysis, and PE Calanus. Oh, and some nori sheets for the veggie eaters, but my Angels don't touch the stuff. Everybody's fat and happy.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 35.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back