TonapahNorth

Reefed In
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I'm still on the fence about a light for my new office build. I thought I'd get some info if anyone has experience here.

I noticed another thread where someone said a 60" covered a 72" tank very well. Will this hold true at the 48" fixture and 60" tank lengths? Anyone have experience here?

My tank is 60x32x26. Is this going to require an 8 bulb fixture? Is the 48" fully controllable? This might be a solid option.

If I order this, what upgrades would you do to the light, if any?

Thanks in advance
Tona

Reefer525XL

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hope this answers your question.

ATI 48" 3x75W LED & 8x54W T5 LED Powermodule
General Sizing Guideline:
- Tank Size: 160-260 gallons.
- Recommended Tank Length: 48-60”.
- Recommended Tank Depth: up to 36" with proper placement of corals.
- Recommended Tank Width: up to 36" with proper placement of corals.

All powermodules are fully controllable. The 60" fixture can't dim the T5's but all the other fixtures can. LED channels are controlled independently on all fixtures. As for upgrades not sure there are any "upgrades" you can do.

OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Purely aesthetic.

Always had LED lights on my tanks , which I've never used at full power. I know that the LEDs on the power module are dimmable but I didn't know if the T fives were. Do you run them at 100% without threat to bleaching or RTN or STN?

I'm not familiar with T5 at this point. It seems to make sense that if I'm ramping up and down each day to simulate sunrise and sunset, then the thing should be dimmable.

Areseebee

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
The ramping is just for you, just have the LED's ramp and then flip on the T5's. With T5s on most ballasts you can't dim them, and I may be behind the times but I think ballasts that can dim T5s are touchy and tend to decrease bulb life. But yeah, you just turn T5s on and it's fine, you could tune the overall intensity/spectrum with the LED's if you like. I have a 60 inch tank, 27 inch deep and 6xT5s seems to allow me to grow anything anywhere, probably the most demanding SPS would need more light at the bottom but I have a few sps growing basically on the sand (~24" deep) without issue.

OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
The ramping is just for you, just have the LED's ramp and then flip on the T5's. With T5s on most ballasts you can't dim them, and I may be behind the times but I think ballasts that can dim T5s are touchy and tend to decrease bulb life. But yeah, you just turn T5s on and it's fine, you could tune the overall intensity/spectrum with the LED's if you like. I have a 60 inch tank, 27 inch deep and 6xT5s seems to allow me to grow anything anywhere, probably the most demanding SPS would need more light at the bottom but I have a few sps growing basically on the sand (~24" deep) without issue.

Excellent. Thanks. How long are your bulbs?

ATI North America

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
TonapahNorth, while you feel you are unfamiliar with T5's, you can be sure that they have a longer more recorded track record that LEDs at this point for growing corals.

24-48" are dimmable with the proper fixture
60" are not dimmable in North America (we don't have the right power 50 vs 60hz for the available ballasts)

Dimming will only diminish bulb life if you fail to season the bulbs prior to use. See this thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/proper-times-and-techniques-for-replacing-your-t5-bulbs.192242/

I agree with the statements above on dimming, it is primarily a human benefit with the exception of being able to easily acclimate corals. The dimmable fixtures also have the benefit of a built in timer, 1 single cord, temperature controlled fans and will automatically dim the bulbs if the fixture overheats.

OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
TonapahNorth, while you feel you are unfamiliar with T5's, you can be sure that they have a longer more recorded track record that LEDs at this point for growing corals.

24-48" are dimmable with the proper fixture
60" are not dimmable in North America (we don't have the right power 50 vs 60hz for the available ballasts)

Dimming will only diminish bulb life if you fail to season the bulbs prior to use. See this thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/proper-times-and-techniques-for-replacing-your-t5-bulbs.192242/

I agree with the statements above on dimming, it is primarily a human benefit with the exception of being able to easily acclimate corals. The dimmable fixtures also have the benefit of a built in timer, 1 single cord, temperature controlled fans and will automatically dim the bulbs if the fixture overheats.

Thank you for your reply. Everyone here is very helpful. Do you have an opinion on the 48" over a 60x32 tank?

monkiboy

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
a dimmable sunpower isn't just for corals. the noticeable behavioral differences in fish as they slowly wake in the AM and settle into their sleeping spots in the PM vs instant shock on and off is dramatic. the former is an exciting dynamic to watch and less stressful on most fish.

ATI North America

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Thank you for your reply. Everyone here is very helpful. Do you have an opinion on the 48" over a 60x32 tank?
As long as it has sufficient number of bulbs etc I think it will do great. Just don't skimp on length and quantity of bulbs since you'll need to mount it on the higher side compared to someone with a 60 on 60.

Monkiboy if that regal is in your own tank, I am super jealous, that is one of my top 3 favorite fish!

vdigiorgio

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have a 48" power module 4 t5 and 3 led over my 60 in tank now and i can tell you with no question that yes it will work.. mine is a sps tank and its more than enough light.. i actually have it at 50% and i have no shadows on any side of the tank with light spilling over to the floor

Reefinny

WYSIWYG
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I love my ATI's! I run a 36 - 6 bulb on a 60, a 36 - 6 bulb on a 75, a 36 - 4 bulb with (2) hydras on a 100 and the new one is a 60 (8 bulb) with 3 Hydra 52's on a 225!

I use the dimable feature on the 60 frag tank, and the other tanks I use the LED for the sunrise sunset. I do have my channels ramp differently though.

Bottom line is you will love it and yes it will work - depending on how wide you may want to go 8 bulb.

OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have a 48" power module 4 t5 and 3 led over my 60 in tank now and i can tell you with no question that yes it will work.. mine is a sps tank and its more than enough light.. i actually have it at 50% and i have no shadows on any side of the tank with light spilling over to the floor
That kind of reply is what I've been looking for. Thank you.

OP
TonapahNorth

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have the same dimension tank 60"x24"x24" and had the 60" ATI over the tank and it was way too much light for the tank. I have since then downgraded to an 8 bulb 48" Powermodule and it is the perfect size for the tank.
Awesome thanks. Making arrangements now to get this light. I'm excited to be committed at this point and am looking forward to getting it.

Do you have a Reefing Super Power?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 41 28.9%
  • NO

Votes: 97 68.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 2.8%