Will 6 AI Primes grow SPS in a 6 x 2 x 2 tank?

DeepintheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll be able to grow a decent amount of SPS, but I wouldn’t expect to get super high par like you would with the larger 32 or 64 fixtures. The 32s and 64s are meant for high light output like SPS tanks.

It will likely come down to how you arrange the lights over the tank. I wouldn’t do a straight line of six lights in a row. You’ll probably need to stagger them and have two rows of lights. You will get better spread and coverage if it is a rimless or eurobraced tank versus one with a plastic rim.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine with that but there may be better options out there. You may find yourself wanting to add ai primes or add a reefbar like orphek, quanta, etc for more par and fluorescence

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with 3 radion xr 15 PRO (blues i hear less people like and the new g6 spectrum looks more similar to the pro g5) and add 2 reefbrite, orphek, or quantareefbars to cover any spread or shadowing issues. Radion g5 pro is on sale right now and i see no reason to get the g6

OP
OP
R

roggy23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You’ll be able to grow a decent amount of SPS, but I wouldn’t expect to get super high par like you would with the larger 32 or 64 fixtures. The 32s and 64s are meant for high light output like SPS tanks.

It will likely come down to how you arrange the lights over the tank. I wouldn’t do a straight line of six lights in a row. You’ll probably need to stagger them and have two rows of lights. You will get better spread and coverage if it is a rimless or eurobraced tank versus one with a plastic rim.
Thank you

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The g6 does boast about higher spread so maybe 3 xr15 g6 will work but i like the trusted nature of the xr15 g5 pro with blue led bars

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 of the new neptune LED fixtures would be similar price (esp if buying mounts for 6 primes) and give much much better coverage.

AI Primes are junk in my opinion, fans fail easily and they run really hot in that small enclosure (noisy too). I wouldn't want the hassle of managing 6 of them as one is destined to fail right after the limited warranty.

Last edited:

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@90's reefer is growing some nice acros under primes.
I also run 1 hydra 32 and 2 primes on my reefer 250 they grow everything!

Williamson’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You could always pick up some used Radion G5s. Should be some great deals on them. I picked some up myself. I already run them on other tanks. And the corals love them.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always pick up some used Radion G5s. Should be some great deals on them. I picked some up myself. I already run them on other tanks. And the corals love them.

I'd love to see these "great deals" on G5s. In my experience, these things really hold their value...

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 of the new neptune LED fixtures would be similar price (esp if buying mounts for 6 primes) and give much much better coverage.

AI Primes are junk in my opinion, fans fail easily and they run really hot in that small enclosure (noisy too). I wouldn't want the hassle of managing 6 of them as one is destined to fail right after the limited warranty.
I was not going to respond but, junk, really?
I run 6 on 3 different systems.
They do not run hot at all and you cant hear them run either.
I also over drive all of them.

You will be able to replace the pucks just like you now can on gen 5 radions in the near future, for under $100. I also run a gen5 blue and actually prefer the 16hd colors. They are responsible for me replacing my halides systems I have ran for 30 years.

On a 6' tank you will need 8 16's.
I chose the 16's over the other models because you can space them to your needs. Also buy them as you need them works too.
Here is my 20g nano cube running 2 and my 36x24x12 frag system running 3.
If this is junk then sign me up for a couple more, lol.
20220505_160330.jpg
20220503_114006.jpg

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok ill run with "it depends" lol

It depends on what type of SPS you are trying to keep. How high are you mounting the lights? @90's reefer posted a good picture of his 20 gallon nano running two lights and his frag system. However, there is a big difference in a 20 gallon nano and a 170 gallon tank. Also, a frag system that is only 12 inches deep doesn't need as much power as a tank that is 24 inches deep. If you place the SPS in the top half of the tank, they will have a better chance than if you place them lower. So, based on the limited information we have, I will stick with "it depends."

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what type of SPS you are trying to keep. How high are you mounting the lights? @90's reefer posted a good picture of his 20 gallon nano running two lights and his frag system. However, there is a big difference in a 20 gallon nano and a 170 gallon tank. Also, a frag system that is only 12 inches deep doesn't need as much power as a tank that is 24 inches deep. If you place the SPS in the top half of the tank, they will have a better chance than if you place them lower. So, based on the limited information we have, I will stick with "it depends."
Agree. My nano is 18" deep and sps grow on the bottom.

PompanoBeach

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not going to respond but, junk, really?
I run 6 on 3 different systems.
They do not run hot at all and you cant hear them run either.
I also over drive all of them.

You will be able to replace the pucks just like you now can on gen 5 radions in the near future, for under $100. I also run a gen5 blue and actually prefer the 16hd colors. They are responsible for me replacing my halides systems I have ran for 30 years.

On a 6' tank you will need 8 16's.
I chose the 16's over the other models because you can space them to your needs. Also buy them as you need them works too.
Here is my 20g nano cube running 2 and my 36x24x12 frag system running 3.
If this is junk then sign me up for a couple more, lol.
20220505_160330.jpg
20220503_114006.jpg

Which program or settings did you find to work the best?

Also how much par did you have on the SPS?

Thank you

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never mea
Which program or settings did you find to work the best?

Also how much par did you have on the SPS?

Thank you
I have never measured par. I went off of the Brs video.
My settings are at 10".
UV-V 140%
RB-B 125%
R-G 6%
W- 31%
1Hr ramp up/down with
10hrs at peak.

The nano will be 4 months old the 26th.
All acros are encrusting and growing.
3 fish
25 snails
2 pepermint shrimp
1 hermit
1 emerald crab.

Last edited:

Duffybubbleboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 AI PRIMES 16HD - Let me know, thanks
Don't do it, unless the tank is 20 inches or less deep even then, the problem isn’t with the power of the light or the spectrum they will grow corals just fine, the problem is that they melt.

I have 4 ai primes and they all melted and two are in for repair and I don’t have the money to pay AI for the melted lenses that is my fault some how they say. I would buy light bars or any light that at least 90 watts. Seeing plastic fall into my tank and cause STN on a lot of my corals plus the BS cost to repair these things isn’t worth it . These light will grow coral but that’s not really the only standard any more. Ehhh , $200 for less than 50 watts is a bad return, when a light melts and nearly wipes out a tank the manufacturer shouldn’t charge you to fix it..

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back