Will 6 AI Primes grow SPS in a 6 x 2 x 2 tank?

Duffybubbleboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m prob goinng to just let AI keep my primes , as its not worth the repair cost. Sigh

Duffybubbleboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 of the new neptune LED fixtures would be similar price (esp if buying mounts for 6 primes) and give much much better coverage.

AI Primes are junk in my opinion, fans fail easily and they run really hot in that small enclosure (noisy too). I wouldn't want the hassle of managing 6 of them as one is destined to fail right after the limited warranty.
Totally agree , after 4 of them failed and melted and paying hundreds to get the lights fixed , just for them to fail again, not worth it .

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree , after 4 of them failed and melted and paying hundreds to get the lights fixed , just for them to fail again, not worth it .
Hundreds to fix the lens? I have extra lens at like $6-7 a piece. You can replace them yourself. The newer 16's have new lens that address that issue.
No issues yet with any of mine and they are over driven.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 prime and 2 reefbrite xho on a 30G long mixed reef. On a 6x2x2 you'll need at least 8 + additional supplemental strips/bars as fill light.

What is comes down to is the PAR, so I'd suggest a par meter to determine exactly what you need.

If you just want 250 par for the "general" SPS that may be OK. But, if you want acropora, 250 is going to be lacking and turn all the acros green. If you want higher end acros with more colors than just green. You'll need to get the par up to 400-500 in the right spectrums.

This is where the primes may be lacking. They are "powerful" but they are advertised by running all channels 100%. In reality you'd probably just run half of those channels close to 100% so you'll never achieve the par as advertised. The overdrive feature helps but isn't enough. This is why I have all these lights in my small tank. I get 250par bottom and 600par top because of the acros.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back