Will a hand truck be able to move a 48x24x24 glass tank?

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I just found out I need to get my tank to my apt from out side the building. Will this hand cart/truck work to move the aboe tank? i calcuated it should be 250-300 lb (1/2" glass). https://www.homedepot.com/p/rental/Milwaukee-Hand-Trucks-Hand-Truck-47515S/309419384
I dont think I moved anything this heavy before. I also have a 4 wheel dolly just like: https://www.homedepot.com/p/rental/Milwaukee-Hand-Trucks-4-Wheel-Dolly-33700/309004476 . But I think the hand truck would be better. It would not be easy to get the tank on the dolly.
TIA!

JonezNReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I move my 72x24x24 (180g) with a 4 wheel dolly with no issue... just what I use because I’ve broke a smaller tank by the bill of the 2 wheel dolly going through the glass on an unexpected bump... just my experience

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick up some of these. Maybe four. And a six pack. For the two friends who are going to help you. Then go with the dolly. When you get to a door, use the cups. You will also like them when you place your tank. And next time order one of our acrylics.
023AFF85-463A-43FA-B8A6-F9A1052C3A34.jpeg

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I just found out I need to get my tank to my apt from out side the building. Will this hand cart/truck work to move the aboe tank? i calcuated it should be 250-300 lb (1/2" glass). https://www.homedepot.com/p/rental/Milwaukee-Hand-Trucks-Hand-Truck-47515S/309419384
I dont think I moved anything this heavy before. I also have a 4 wheel dolly just like: https://www.homedepot.com/p/rental/Milwaukee-Hand-Trucks-4-Wheel-Dolly-33700/309004476 . But I think the hand truck would be better. It would not be easy to get the tank on the dolly.
TIA!
One person will no way in heck be able to take a 120 on or off a stand there self. With that being said if any stairs are involved you will not be able to do this with either one aswell. If no stairs and tank on floor the 4 wheel dolly works great

miltonkl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And next time order one of our acrylics.
LOL. nice plug :)

The glass suction cups and the 4 wheel dolly are the best option, but that's assuming you have help. I'm assuming you won't since you're asking about a hand truck.

The hand truck will for sure do the job, tank standing on end, but be sure to strap it on and pad the bottom. As mentioned already, it'll be really easy to hit a bump and have the platform break the glass.

Since you're in an apartment, ask a neighbor for help.

Also, I hope you checked your lease to ensure you're able to have this big of a tank. It's a big liability so often not permitted.

Good luck!

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One person will no way in heck be able to take a 120 on or off a stand there self. With that being said if any stairs are involved you will not be able to do this with either one aswell. If no stairs and tank on floor the 4 wheel dolly works great
I am an old fat guy and I just put a 180 on a stand by myself.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I"m just for now worried about getting into my apt. I know I'll need help actually moving it to the stand. I'm going to likely be wheelling to my apt myself. I do lift weights, so hopefully being able to lift more than average will help in the initial move to apt. but thanks!

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I"m just for now worried about getting into my apt. I know I'll need help actually moving it to the stand. I'm going to likely be wheelling to my apt myself. I do lift weights, so hopefully being able to lift more than average will help in the initial move to apt. but thanks!
All joking aside, it's not just the weight. It is an awkward package. You can get seriously hurt. Be careful

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick up some of these. Maybe four. And a six pack. For the two friends who are going to help you. Then go with the dolly. When you get to a door, use the cups. You will also like them when you place your tank. And next time order one of our acrylics.
023AFF85-463A-43FA-B8A6-F9A1052C3A34.jpeg
THanks for that idea of the cups. Why use them only when I get to the door? you mean through my front door? ? This is replacing an acrylic :-/ . same size. Thats a different thread :-D . But use the cups only through a door?

The glass suction cups and the 4 wheel dolly are the best option, but that's assuming you have help. I'm assuming you won't since you're asking about a hand truck.

The hand truck will for sure do the job, tank standing on end, but be sure to strap it on and pad the bottom. As mentioned already, it'll be really easy to hit a bump and have the platform break the glass.

Also, I hope you checked your lease to ensure you're able to have this big of a tank. It's a big liability so often not permitted.

Good luck!
I might be doing this all myself. MOre than likely actually. I'll have to get it off the dolly really slow. I'm going to leave it in my apartment likely end up until I can get someone to help set it down. Then fill it test for leaks. Then get it on the stand (with help and suction cups). I know this will not be easy.

I move my 72x24x24 (180g) with a 4 wheel dolly with no issue... just what I use because I’ve broke a smaller tank by the bill of the 2 wheel dolly going through the glass on an unexpected bump... just my experience
rough :-/ but whats the 'bill'? .

***Also the tank has to go in end up in the elevator otherwise I dont thinkj it will fit in the elevator
**crap 4 suction cups are $360! -- i might buy and return, ugh. If they are in new condition after I use them .

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not get a 180 in the house and on a stand myself by lifting it myself.
I use the 4 wheel furniture dollies, wood blocks, a hydraulic jack and a lift table. I will also advise you to always set it on 2x4 wood lengths and never flat on the ground. If you have to set it down make sure the ground is clean. A tiny stone can make a big scratch.
The back you tear up is yours forever.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not get a 180 in the house and on a stand myself by lifting it myself.
I use the 4 wheel furniture dollies, wood blocks, a hydraulic jack and a lift table. I will also advise you to always set it on 2x4 wood lengths and never flat on the ground. If you have to set it down make sure the ground is clean. A tiny stone can make a big scratch.
The back you tear up is yours forever.
Thanks for that!
I was going to put it on wood planks, then thought maybe no..now YES for sure.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 very tall stout young men put the180 in my car easily.
IMG_4231-M.jpg

Then I got it home and I was all by myself. So I did what I needed to do.
IMG_4232-M.jpg
IMG_4233-M.jpg

It's a big glass box. Work smarter and not harder really applies.
my issue is the elevator otherwise I can do what you did

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my issue is the elevator otherwise I can do what you did
Most elevators will easily fit a 4 foot wide object. The problem might be rolling the tank over the crack in the threshold going into it.
How do people get mattresses to the apartments?
A helper would be nice to hold the doors and move the wood blocks, even if they cant lift it.

A Fish Called Wanda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good luck!
Not only the lease he would also need to make sure the floor can handle the weigh too. Possibly 1000lbs +

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only the lease he would also need to make sure the floor can handle the weigh too. Possibly 1000lbs +
It looks like the floor handles it. I'm thinking of that also. The current 120 is where the new 120 is going. Im told it's poured concrete. But the current tank is there, its on a weight bearing wall on the long side and near another one on the short side. I have had the currennt tank there for 4 1/2 years. I just measured the floor for any 'dipping' there is none. If that matters at all. Also THe president knows I have the tank. so... hmmm...

**ANy reason for me to not hire movers to get tank to my apt? I can prob do it for $100 with groupon.

TIA

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back