Will a hand truck be able to move a 48x24x24 glass tank?

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I jsut made a card board cut out 51" x25.5" . to simulate the foot print of the tank. TO see if this slides into my elevator. it does. it turns the corner, as the elevator doors on the left and I would turn a corner to get tank fully in. I think it would be better to put the tank on the dolly horizontal then and not use a hand cart, no?. Also the other tank I have the other tank lol coming it's about 180# as I calculate it 36x18x22 high. I'll just rent a second dolly for this one. As I dont think I have enougn time to unload the first big tank and go down and use the same dolly for the second one. I think I got this. Any reason I woudl need more of a foot print for the big tank? Maybe lots of wrapping in the shipping?? Just be carefull and slow wheeling them around. And get moving pads for the bottom in case any bouncing. pads around it unless it's already padded.
TIA

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I jsut made a card board cut out 51" x25.5" . to simulate the foot print of the tank. TO see if this slides into my elevator. it does. it turns the corner, as the elevator doors on the left and I would turn a corner to get tank fully in. I think it would be better to put the tank on the dolly horizontal then and not use a hand cart, no?. Also the other tank I have the other tank lol coming it's about 180# as I calculate it 36x18x22 high. I'll just rent a second dolly for this one. As I dont think I have enougn time to unload the first big tank and go down and use the same dolly for the second one. I think I got this. Any reason I woudl need more of a foot print for the big tank? Maybe lots of wrapping in the shipping?? Just be carefull and slow wheeling them around. And get moving pads for the bottom in case any bouncing. pads around it unless it's already padded.
TIA
Not sure what your paying to rent one but you can own for 30$

Attachments

• A97335E9-99C2-42EE-9F9F-312E4B2A20B3.png
    A97335E9-99C2-42EE-9F9F-312E4B2A20B3.png
    242.2 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what your paying to rent one but you can own for 30$
I have one now, but I might buy one it's $10 a day to rent... TY for that .. how about this one? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-1-000-lb-Capacity-Furniture-Dolly-33700/100057209 i'll order now 2 of them if it's good to go. So I have two for the big tank and one for the smaller one (??)

*Does two make sense for the big tank? or will that make it harder to handle ?
looking at my own dolly it looks like it would be fine for the one big tank. it's pretty big about 30x18

Last edited:

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one now, but I might buy one it's $10 a day to rent... TY for that .. how about this one? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-1-000-lb-Capacity-Furniture-Dolly-33700/100057209 i'll order now 2 of them if it's good to go. So I have two for the big tank and one for the smaller one (??)

*Does two make sense for the big tank? or will that make it harder to handle ?
looking at my own dolly it looks like it would be fine for the one big tank. it's pretty big about 30x18
Yes get 2 these are what I have. And yes it will make things easier to spread the weight out and better for the tanks although 1 probably will work also but it’s nice to have a pair

A Fish Called Wanda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TIA
That’s awesome and a lot better then taking the stairs.. Good Luck

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to probably higher movers just to put the tank on the stand. I'm getting the handles so it shoudl be easy for them. I just dont know if me and one other guy can do it. I dont think I can coordinate more than one other. B/c then within 3 days of that the tank needs to be plummed while all the animals are in a holding tank likely no light. First step getting the tanks through my door :-D .

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm goign to try to get the plummer (piping the tank) also help me put the tank on the stand. I got the vaccum handles today. really heavy. I dont know what I'll do with them after I use them. im sure I wont be able to return them til after the 30 period of return. oh well

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got both tanks in my apt! . With some help from my mom lol. I was able to get the delivery guy to help get it up over twho thresholds into my apt lobby, tipped him $20 before and $20 after. The tanks were in these very large wooden boxes. much bigger than the tanks. I had to tear the big tank box up first bfeore it woudl fit into the elevator. That took some time but hammer and wedge tool made it possible and not too hard. Only one dolly at a time woudl fit arojnd the corner innto the elevator, so just one was used, no big deal. Smaller tank I was able to wheel up in the wooden box. SHWEEEWWWWW . I did use the suction handles for some brief moments, prob didnt need them but definitely helped. I will need them to get the tanks up on the stands. The suction handles are extremely easy to use fyi whoever wonders about them. I been super stressed worried about getting these tanks into muy place and my neighbors not being nosy at same time. So glad it's done, now to get them set up (replaceing my two tanks I have already). TY for all the input!

A Fish Called Wanda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got both tanks in my apt! . With some help from my mom lol. I was able to get the delivery guy to help get it up over twho thresholds into my apt lobby, tipped him $20 before and $20 after. The tanks were in these very large wooden boxes. much bigger than the tanks. I had to tear the big tank box up first bfeore it woudl fit into the elevator. That took some time but hammer and wedge tool made it possible and not too hard. Only one dolly at a time woudl fit arojnd the corner innto the elevator, so just one was used, no big deal. Smaller tank I was able to wheel up in the wooden box. SHWEEEWWWWW . I did use the suction handles for some brief moments, prob didnt need them but definitely helped. I will need them to get the tanks up on the stands. The suction handles are extremely easy to use fyi whoever wonders about them. I been super stressed worried about getting these tanks into muy place and my neighbors not being nosy at same time. So glad it's done, now to get them set up (replaceing my two tanks I have already). TY for all the input!
Glad it all worked out for ya

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back