Will a hand truck be able to move a 48x24x24 glass tank?

A Fish Called Wanda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My honest opinion it all depends on how many floors your going up. If there’s an elevator I’d put it on the dolly. If you only have stairs and your going to use the hand truck I’d wrap it in a blanket and try to strap it so it doesn’t fall off. That’s a big risk if your doing it by yourself but with a second guy on the bottom and going slow pulling it up the stairs you should be fine.
If non of that is possible then sure I’d go with the Groupon route or find 2 strong guys and buy them both a case of beer each.. Good Luck with which ever route you go with..

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I called my local Reef Club to see how to move an aquarium just like yours from a Minivan to my Basement. Got the movers name, they set up a time, when they had another job close by. Moved it while fully insured. No broken Aquarium, no cuts, hurt back or a trip to the ER. BTW, are you allowed to have an aquarium that size in an Apartment? My wife wanted to move into a Condo, they wouldn’t even commit to a fish bowl!

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the floor handles it. I'm thinking of that also. The current 120 is where the new 120 is going. Im told it's poured concrete. But the current tank is there, its on a weight bearing wall on the long side and near another one on the short side. I have had the currennt tank there for 4 1/2 years. I just measured the floor for any 'dipping' there is none. If that matters at all. Also THe president knows I have the tank. so... hmmm...

**ANy reason for me to not hire movers to get tank to my apt? I can prob do it for $100 with groupon.

TIA
If you can get that price for movers for an aquarium take it all day long

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most elevators will easily fit a 4 foot wide object. The problem might be rolling the tank over the crack in the threshold going into it.
How do people get mattresses to the apartments?
A helper would be nice to hold the doors and move the wood blocks, even if they cant lift it.
Always go backwards over cracks. Better to pull it over than push. Same with stairs, pull them up or drop them down.
Use a board under the tank with a soft towel to cover the board and up the dolly. Strap the tank to the dolly, gently, with cardboard at the corners so you dont mark it up.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im an old skinny guy, and I hired a piano mover.... so respect to you...

still the best 150 and 12 pack of beer I ever spent...
I don't mean this as a disrespect to anybody in any way. I really mean that so

There are those that post and ask how to do something, there are those that do something and then post about it.
I moved a 180 because I knew I could. I never considered any other option. I collected what I needed to do it and then did. My wife said to me, I thought you needed help? I told her if I had I wouldn't of already done it.
Time is both a teacher and a hindrance. You collect knowledge but you lose abilities. I am going to PT right now for my back. It is suffering from deterioration from time. I used my knowledge and mechanical aids to do the lifting. For what I would have paid someone I now have a lift table that's mine, you cant rent one here.

As for the OP. There are many ways to accomplish your task. Use the one that best fits your situation.
You could move it yourself with thought and planning and resources. I can store the resources I invest in to use again.

4-6 people could just carry it and work the building and doors easily. Pay them and be done with it.

2 fit people with one of the furniture dollies could easily move it. I have been married for 40 years and have always had help when I needed it. She is in a similar condition to me now but still essential in my plans. She held the stand while I scooted the tank into exactly the right place.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only the lease he would also need to make sure the floor can handle the weigh too. Possibly 1000lbs +
I did a 150g fowlr years ago without permission in a apt, idiocy & early 20's youth at its finest, lol.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have carried every single one of my 120 gallon tanks with one other person upstairs downstairs from the truck through the alley through the driveway past the house back up the stairs you only need one other person. 4-6 people we are not talking a 300 gallon here

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My honest opinion it all depends on how many floors your going up. If there’s an elevator I’d put it on the dolly. If you only have stairs and your going to use the hand truck I’d wrap it in a blanket and try to strap it so it doesn’t fall off. That’s a big risk if your doing it by yourself but with a second guy on the bottom and going slow pulling it up the stairs you should be fine.
If non of that is possible then sure I’d go with the Groupon route or find 2 strong guys and buy them both a case of beer each.. Good Luck with which ever route you go with..
Just elevator.. but I'm leaning to an insured mover ...

I called my local Reef Club to see how to move an aquarium just like yours from a Minivan to my Basement. Got the movers name, they set up a time, when they had another job close by. Moved it while fully insured. No broken Aquarium, no cuts, hurt back or a trip to the ER. BTW, are you allowed to have an aquarium that size in an Apartment? My wife wanted to move into a Condo, they wouldn’t even commit to a fish bowl!
I never cheked the by laws.. the president has seen it as have other top board members from other random inspections. If one day they say I need to get rid of it then I will :-/ .. or by that time maybve the housing market has come down and I'll move to house (which I really really want, that's another thread :-D ).
If you can get that price for movers for an aquarium take it all day long
Looks like i'm going that way :)
im an old skinny guy, and I hired a piano mover.... so respect to you...

still the best 150 and 12 pack of beer I ever spent...
good choice
Always go backwards over cracks. Better to pull it over than push. Same with stairs, pull them up or drop them down.
Use a board under the tank with a soft towel to cover the board and up the dolly. Strap the tank to the dolly, gently, with cardboard at the corners so you dont mark it up.
Thanks for that!
I don't mean this as a disrespect to anybody in any way. I really mean that so

There are those that post and ask how to do something, there are those that do something and then post about it.
I moved a 180 because I knew I could. I never considered any other option. I collected what I needed to do it and then did. My wife said to me, I thought you needed help? I told her if I had I wouldn't of already done it.
Time is both a teacher and a hindrance. You collect knowledge but you lose abilities. I am going to PT right now for my back. It is suffering from deterioration from time. I used my knowledge and mechanical aids to do the lifting. For what I would have paid someone I now have a lift table that's mine, you cant rent one here.

As for the OP. There are many ways to accomplish your task. Use the one that best fits your situation.
You could move it yourself with thought and planning and resources. I can store the resources I invest in to use again.

4-6 people could just carry it and work the building and doors easily. Pay them and be done with it.

2 fit people with one of the furniture dollies could easily move it. I have been married for 40 years and have always had help when I needed it. She is in a similar condition to me now but still essential in my plans. She held the stand while I scooted the tank into exactly the right place.
I can prob do it myself.. But it's a big risk as well.. I'm getting the movers and I ordered the handles as well. Maybe that will help them move it.
Hire someone and be done with it. Fill it up and enjoy...
It will take a few steps till it's actually on stand. first is to fill it on 'floor' make sure no leaks. Ten I need to get it plumbed. After it's put on stand. I'll prob call movers for that also.. I have 2 friends that can help. But I dont know if 3 total people will be enough to lift up to the stand. I believe it will be 270# in weight... it's 1/2 " glass, eurobraced since glass isnt thik enough for rimless. If they were my strength (not that i'm super strong) I tihnk me and one other coudl do it. first is getting in my place!

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have carried every single one of my 120 gallon tanks with one other person upstairs downstairs from the truck through the alley through the driveway past the house back up the stairs you only need one other person. 4-6 people we are not talking a 300 gallon here
How heavy was the tank? Mine is lookin like 270# from my calculation... I can prob do what you said if I had two of me's lol

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How heavy was the tank? Mine is lookin like 270# from my calculation... I can prob do what you said if I had two of me's lol
Yes exactly about 280 was what I was thinking. So 140 each. Two adult men should be able to carry that assuming no medical issues. But with that being said if you can really get someone me to do it so 100$ that is the best way

ddreher47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I just found out I need to get my tank to my apt from out side the building. Will this hand cart/truck work to move the aboe tank? i calcuated it should be 250-300 lb (1/2" glass). https://www.homedepot.com/p/rental/Milwaukee-Hand-Trucks-Hand-Truck-47515S/309419384
I dont think I moved anything this heavy before. I also have a 4 wheel dolly just like: https://www.homedepot.com/p/rental/Milwaukee-Hand-Trucks-4-Wheel-Dolly-33700/309004476 . But I think the hand truck would be better. It would not be easy to get the tank on the dolly.
TIA!
My LFS just delivered my tank and stand that was similar in size. There was 3 guys and they used a hand truck to bring the tank in the living room.

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just elevator.. but I'm leaning to an insured mover ...

I never cheked the by laws.. the president has seen it as have other top board members from other random inspections. If one day they say I need to get rid of it then I will :-/ .. or by that time maybve the housing market has come down and I'll move to house (which I really really want, that's another thread :-D ).

Looks like i'm going that way :)

good choice

Thanks for that!

I can prob do it myself.. But it's a big risk as well.. I'm getting the movers and I ordered the handles as well. Maybe that will help them move it.

It will take a few steps till it's actually on stand. first is to fill it on 'floor' make sure no leaks. Ten I need to get it plumbed. After it's put on stand. I'll prob call movers for that also.. I have 2 friends that can help. But I dont know if 3 total people will be enough to lift up to the stand. I believe it will be 270# in weight... it's 1/2 " glass, eurobraced since glass isnt thik enough for rimless. If they were my strength (not that i'm super strong) I tihnk me and one other coudl do it. first is getting in my place!
I have 3 systems currently and I've always done them myself with help from my wife. A few months ago I purchased a red sea 625xxl. It has 3/4 glass. I paid my dealer $400 bucks to install it. It included putting the stand together and properly leveling the tank and stand. He's a big guy and he brought 2 others with him and they struggled with it getting it in place. Came through the front door straight to it's spot no stairs. They even had the dollies and suction cups. Best $400 I ever spent in this hobby. It was well worth it not spending hours building a stand and multiple chiro visits afterwords and not dealing with disposing all the packing material at the dump.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 systems currently and I've always done them myself with help from my wife. A few months ago I purchased a red sea 625xxl. It has 3/4 glass. I paid my dealer $400 bucks to install it. It included putting the stand together and properly leveling the tank and stand. He's a big guy and he brought 2 others with him and they struggled with it getting it in place. Came through the front door straight to it's spot no stairs. They even had the dollies and suction cups. Best $400 I ever spent in this hobby. It was well worth it not spending hours building a stand and multiple chiro visits afterwords and not dealing with disposing all the packing material at the dump.
I'd pay that also esp incl the set up and they got the wires all tidy. I'm guessing yours with stand is about 400-450 lb with the stand.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my younger days, I would have moved it by myself. I picked up my 90 gallon, used a Jumbo Tired Hand truck from work with the tank strapped to. Learned how to lift and move heavy large equipment working in Commercial HVAC. Those days are no longer, and one thing I have very little trouble with is my back.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my younger days, I would have moved it by myself. I picked up my 90 gallon, used a Jumbo Tired Hand truck from work with the tank strapped to. Learned how to lift and move heavy large equipment working in Commercial HVAC. Those days are no longer, and one thing I have very little trouble with is my back.
I knkw i can do it with a hand trucj solobut too much room and chances for it to break. Makes sense to have an insured mover since im not broke enough ro not be able to :-D. I just meed to see if i can coordinate with them for when the tanks(s) Theres 2. Are here

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good chance i will have to cart it up myself. As the only way i can get a mover is if the delivery truck leaves the tanks in the lobby of my buildong. We’ll see

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My honest opinion is that you have the best name on the entire R2R.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back