will a reef octopus eSsence S-130 skimmer work in 7.5 inches of water?

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the height of my sump baffle is just short of 7.5 inches, I have bought the reef octopus eSsence S-130 protein skimmer. online it recommends being in 7-8 inches of water. do I need to raise the baffle height or will it work fine in under 7.5 inches of water?? I am using it in a Red Sea 170 tank. I heard most skimmers don't need to be that deep, but if anyone has this exact skimmer please let me know what depth your water is at. thanks!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I currently have my RO Essence 130 at 8 inches and have been thinking about raising it for better performance, so I would expect that 7.5 inches would work.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have my RO Essence 130 at 8 inches and have been thinking about raising it for better performance, so I would expect that 7.5 inches would work.
Gotcha, that sounds good.
Is that the same skimmer as the s-130? Do you think they are pretty similar? In an older thread of mine I just found someone who said they had to run theirs in only 4 inches of water.
does it need less water if there is a bigger bio load? Or does that not affect how it works? I’m not sure how or why height matters really

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, I have the Reef Octopus Essence S-130. If you have the water line above about 8" from the bottom of the skimmer and the air turned all the way down then, at least in my case, the skimmer will fill up with tank water. At just below 8" and the air turned all the way down, my skimmer works but skims very wet which is why I'm thinking about raising the skimmer (I could also lower the water level in the sump, but would prefer to raise the skimmer). If you lower the water level then you can raise the air and find a balance that works for you whether you want to lean more toward wet or dry skimmate. HTH.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back