Will a single Kessil AP9X mount arm fit inside a Red Sea 250 overflow box?

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm weighing my options between the AP700 and AP9X - that's a story for a different day.

I like the idea of centering the AP9X in the overflow. It'd help to avoid salt creep plus make it one less thing a screen top will have to fit around. It appears the overflow box has a breakout portion that can be easily popped out. Would the mounting arm fit in the overflow box?

If you've done this, I'd appreciate your feedback, suggestions, or pictures.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an A-Series mount in the overflow box of my old Reefer Nano. There's plenty of room.
IMG_20170730_164423.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Terrific! Just to confirm, I just need to punch out that little back square - but I can keep the majority of the overflow lid intact. Right?

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Score it a little first and it snaps right out along the line.

OP
OP
T

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Midrats, now I'm just being nosey...any chance you could take a picture of what it looks like from the top? Was the arm able to secure itself well in that hole as if it was secured against the glass?

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have that tank set up anymore. There are two screws on the side of the mount inside of the overflow. Those get tightened against the back glass inside of the overflow box. Don't attach it to the overflow box if that's what you are asking. It's very secure and solid. The arm can be raised and lowered by loosening the two screws on the back of the mount.

OP
OP
T

TatorTaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't have that tank set up anymore. There are two screws on the side of the mount inside of the overflow. Those get tightened against the back glass inside of the overflow box. Don't attach it to the overflow box if that's what you are asking. It's very secure and solid. The arm can be raised and lowered by loosening the two screws on the back of the mount.

That's a big help, thank you!

Now I just have to make the personal decision if I want to get a new/used AP700 with 2 arms or the new AP9X with just one arm (that can be put in the overflow box).

Inversus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a big help, thank you!

Now I just have to make the personal decision if I want to get a new/used AP700 with 2 arms or the new AP9X with just one arm (that can be put in the overflow box).
What did you go with?
Just bought a used ap9x and have to buy a mounting-arm.
Somewhere I read that you have to modify the overflow box so you can fit the one arm. Is that true?

Back