WILL A SIXLINE WRASSE GET ALONG WITH MY OTHER FISH???

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20g long reef mostly softies and LPS and 2 SPS Corals. I have a baby clown a firefish goby and a dragon face pipefish. I'm looking to get a sixline wrasse today because I've noticed some pests like flatworms and zoa eating spiders and I want the wrasse to clean em up. Im just wondering if he will get along with my other fish I've heard some people say wrasse is aggressive. lmk what you guys think and if you have any other fish suggestions if you think a wrasse isn't a good choice.

ss30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't have another one either, ripped the fins off one on my other fish had to take all of the rock out of my tank to catch the evil thing and return it to LFS, never again.

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't have another one either, ripped the fins off one on my other fish had to take all of the rock out of my tank to catch the evil thing and return it to LFS, never again.
Damm do you know any flatworm eating fish that might do well in my tank?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 line should be in a 55 gallon or bigger. You'll have aggression issues if you add it.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will also have issues keeping a pipefish in a tank that small. I would be adding copepods regularly

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will also have issues keeping a pipefish in a tank that small. I would be adding copepods regularly
I have WAY to many pods in my tank . I added live amphipods and tiggr pods when my tank was fallow for 6 weeks and theyve exploded.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will run out quickly. Most fish that rely on a copepod population are kept in 50g+ mature systems so the pods can breed enough to be a food source. I have a mandarin in my 90 gallon and he spends all day eating.

OP
OP
PeterB113

PeterB113

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will run out quickly. Most fish that rely on a copepod population are kept in 50g+ mature systems so the pods can breed enough to be a food source. I have a mandarin in my 90 gallon and he spends all day eating.
Yea i know eventually ill have to add more pods. Been seeing the pipefish nibble at frozen mysis mix not sure if hes eating it tho.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have WAY to many pods in my tank . I added live amphipods and tiggr pods when my tank was fallow for 6 weeks and theyve exploded.
If you add a sixline wrasse those pods will go away. I think that is at least the biggest concern is the shared food source and the sixline is much faster and would outcompete the pipefish.

I've had two different six lines in my 29 gallon with a pair of established clowns and never seen aggression issues, it's been a couple of years. I don't have any pods on my glass anymore.

BranchingHammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea i know eventually ill have to add more pods. Been seeing the pipefish nibble at frozen mysis mix not sure if hes eating it tho.
I would be both worried about the shared food source and the aggression of the six line wrasse in such a small tank. Pipefish can't really escape, and I can see a six line picking on them easily.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 21 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back