Will a Trigger System 10" Fleece Roller Sump Effectively work on a 400-450g Tank?

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Currently, I'm having a Tsunami 400g tank built by FTD. It will have two corner overflows and they can drill the overflow ports to whatever sizes I want, and they can even accommodate a bean style overflow with 5 drilled ports if I choose.

However, the sump I ordered is a Trigger System Platinum 39 with 10" Fleece Roller. I'd like to ditch socks if possible. The dilemma is the sump has only two 1" Inlets.

Please correct my math if I'm incorrect, but with only two 1" inlets the max flow rate through the system would be 1200GPH. Essentially this would leave me, after all the parasitic loss of flow rate throughout, somewhere around a 2.7 to 3x turnover rate of the tank water every hour.

I will have a heavily stocked system that will be over 20 fish and feedings will have to be fairly heavy for most of them.

My planned filtration aside from the Fleece Roller, would be an IceCap Algae Scrubber, Skimmer. It will also incorporate a UV Sterilizer.

I do have the option to have a sump custom built, but I wouldn't be able to run the Fleece Roller, and if I want to get the sump out of this particular setup, they would have to bulkhead two pieces together.

I could potentially add another fleece roller to the system and add more drains, but that seems excessive, challenging, and dangerous from a potential failure standpoint.

I also would like to run two return pumps for safety reasons, in which I've been eyeing the RO Varios models. If this is my max flowrate, then I'd have to get two of the Varios-4 or -6 pumps, run them at max 34% for the -6 or 57% for the -4, and adjust accordingly if one is out of service. The -6 could effectively run by itself if the other goes down so it may be the best option.

Any recommendations on how I could potentially combat this issue without giving up the system? I would like to maybe eventually put some soft corals in the tank, but if I can't clean it up I'd be wasting my money.

Thanks for any input and advice.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For flow in the sump 3x is fine
If you really want more flow just add power heads in the tank. This should keep all the extra food suspended for filtering

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For flow in the sump 3x is fine
If you really want more flow just add power heads in the tank. This should keep all the extra food suspended for filtering

Thanks for the response.

I did find that the Bubble Magus Roller has a 1.58" Inlet which might work better.

I also am finding reviews on the Trigger Systems Fleece Rollers to be less than adequate for the amount of money spent :(

Upvote 0

Franksreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response.

I did find that the Bubble Magus Roller has a 1.58" Inlet which might work better.

I also am finding reviews on the Trigger Systems Fleece Rollers to be less than adequate for the amount of money spent :(
What did you end up doing? I’m in the same type situation. I’m building a sump but I don’t know what filter mat roller to use

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Quicklynx

Quicklynx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you end up doing? I’m in the same type situation. I’m building a sump but I don’t know what filter mat roller to use

4x 1R Seamless Sumps from Custom Aquariums with just Socks right now.

I decided to drastically cut back my stock and will assess in the future to see if I need one.

If I had to choose between the options available right now, the Bubble Magus Roller with the 1.5" inlet would be my choice, and I'd modify for a dual overflow.

Upvote 0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back