Will Activated Carbon Last Longer If Reactor Only Run A Few Hours A Day?

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious on this one, ive been running my carbon reactor during the day at the moment and not seeing any ill effects as of yet

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strictly speaking, GAC will last longer if used only few hours a day. But the main reason I would not do it and advise against it the reactor is highly likely to start going anaerobic at some point do to the lack of oxygen when the reactor is off and hydrogen sulfide will be made. When the pump is turned back on if this is happening you'll be dumping it into your system and it's not good for the fish or corals.

I'd say either use it all the time or don't use it at all. I typically do not use it however I have spare reactors around to use in emergancies and to help with "Old Tank Syndrome" along with a diatom filter when I suspect it's developing. Whe I do use it I run it 24/7 for 1-2 months.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strictly speaking, GAC will last longer if used only few hours a day. But the main reason I would not do it and advise against it the reactor is highly likely to start going anaerobic at some point do to the lack of oxygen when the reactor is off and hydrogen sulfide will be made. When the pump is turned back on if this is happening you'll be dumping it into your system and it's not good for the fish or corals.

I'd say either use it all the time or don't use it at all. I typically do not use it however I have spare reactors around to use in emergancies and to help with "Old Tank Syndrome" along with a diatom filter when I suspect it's developing. Whe I do use it I run it 24/7 for 1-2 months.
Thank you for this information - didn’t realize there could be negative anaerobic effects from cycling the carbon reactor off/on.

This is the reason I’m hooked on R2R. Not only do you get great advice on what you should do but also the reason behind that advice!

Thank you again!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Old thread I know, but there is another active thread on a similar theme.

I guess I can see some potential for this in certain situations. In my use, the reactor fully drains back into the sump once the pump shuts. Then 22 hours later it fires back up. Correct me, but if there is air & carbon & residual moisture, it cannot go anaerobic, right?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old thread I know, but there is another active thread on a similar theme.

I guess I can see some potential for this in certain situations. In my use, the reactor fully drains back into the sump once the pump shuts. Then 22 hours later it fires back up. Correct me, but if there is air & carbon & residual moisture, it cannot go anaerobic, right?

I don't know about "cannot", but I think it less likely. Smell it when you first turn it on. If the effluent smells at all like rotten eggs, I wouldn't do it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back