Will adding large raw shrimp raise organic NO3?

islander84

Island Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will adding raw shrimp raise organic NO3 as it breaks down? Thinking outside the box rather than dosing KNO3 which as I understand will raise the dissolved inorganic NO3

OP
OP
islander84

islander84

Island Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With an established tank the ammonia and nitrites should convert to nitrates without causing any issues though. I’m just wondering if 1 large piece of shrimp would raise the NO3 enough to matter.

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With an established tank the ammonia and nitrites should convert to nitrates without causing any issues though. I’m just wondering if 1 large piece of shrimp would raise the NO3 enough to matter.
Astablished or not, a huge rotting piece of shrimp will overwelm your bacterial population, raise ammonia levels, raise nitrite levels and then and only then raise Nitrate levels.

So again, It will but not before it raises ammonia and nitrite

Bitcoin Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone else have opinions on this? I just dropped a huge frozen shrimp in my tank for this same reason lol. Tired of nitrates and phosphates at 0 no matter how much food I dump in lol. My handed shrimp grabbed it and ran behind some rocks. Lol the frozen shrimp was bigger than the banded. What kind of consequences might we see?

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it'll raise your ammonia before it raises your nitrates, though let's be honest - this is two sides of the same coin. In fact, a lot of microorganisms and macrooorganisms take up ammonia preferentially for nutrients.

The best way to raise your nitrates is to buy more fish. Fish poop = nitrates. Can also try dosing amino acids - any not used by the corals may decay into nitrates.

As far as phosphates being zero - could feed more dry food.

How old is the tank? If you're consistently low you are either not feeding enough or exporting too much. Consider lowering photoperiod of refugium, turning off skimmer periodically, or feeding more.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the idea not effective for purpose, the shrimp will take too long to break down in comparison with the tank needs in addition it will also break down into Organic Carbon and phosphorus that will only aid the lowering of nutrients, I would prefer in look in more depth on why the nutrients are lowering or add a artificial source of nitrates that will be more effective to the task needed.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back