Will additional DI stages eliminate CO2/Phosphate from my well water?

Phyber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a BRS 4 stage RODI with booster pump at ~80psi. Filters were replaced Jan 2020 and clean water out of my RO is at 4ppm and out of the DI resin is 3ppm. I gave up long ago trying to keep fresh DI and 0ppm water since I suppose CO2 in my well water is eating it up before I can get 20g of water made.

I've recently been battling phosphate/algae issues in my tank. I'm working on a better maintenance routine, as well as now running GFO.

If I add on a 2 stage DI kit, so that it's Anion -> Cation -> Mixed Bed, will this be a better solution for me?

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flushing the RO membrane when you start it up?

You should run the resins Cation > Anion > Mixed.

The only exception is if you have dirt cheap mixed bed resin, in which case I would put it first knowing that it will be exhausted quickly. I tried using some really really cheap mixed bed resin I bought on ebay (50lbs was $15) and I didn't get through 50 gallons before that chamber was used up same tds as the input. At the same time, the BRS pro series resins get through a few hundred gallons before they are used up in my system, so this is one place you get what you pay for.

OP
OP
Phyber

Phyber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flushing the RO membrane when you start it up?

You should run the resins Cation > Anion > Mixed.

The only exception is if you have dirt cheap mixed bed resin, in which case I would put it first knowing that it will be exhausted quickly. I tried using some really really cheap mixed bed resin I bought on ebay (50lbs was $15) and I didn't get through 50 gallons before that chamber was used up same tds as the input. At the same time, the BRS pro series resins get through a few hundred gallons before they are used up in my system, so this is one place you get what you pay for.
I do have a flush setup and use that when I start and end a RODI run. Same results though on the output water. I only use BRS DI but I don't remember getting any of the Pro line since I knew already that my water would eat it up.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running a BRS 4 stage RODI with booster pump at ~80psi. Filters were replaced Jan 2020 and clean water out of my RO is at 4ppm and out of the DI resin is 3ppm. I gave up long ago trying to keep fresh DI and 0ppm water since I suppose CO2 in my well water is eating it up before I can get 20g of water made.

I've recently been battling phosphate/algae issues in my tank. I'm working on a better maintenance routine, as well as now running GFO.

If I add on a 2 stage DI kit, so that it's Anion -> Cation -> Mixed Bed, will this be a better solution for me?
Last filter change was Jan 2020? I make a lot of water, but rarely got more than 2-3 months from my DI resins when I ran the four stage. I now run 7 stage and IIRC have roughly doubled the volume between changes. Well water; but I don't know the pH.

OP
OP
Phyber

Phyber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last filter change was Jan 2020? I make a lot of water, but rarely got more than 2-3 months from my DI resins when I ran the four stage. I now run 7 stage and IIRC have roughly doubled the volume between changes. Well water; but I don't know the pH.
yes, I changed all stages of filters, and the DI has been exhausted since then. I make maybe 50 gallons a month, and the DI was done after the first 20-30.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Available space. I don't have enough to keep a storage container of degassing water to equal to the RODI I usually keep on hand.

You do not need very much space. My degassing chamber is a piece of 4" PVC with a 1.5 X4 tee at the top. I would switch to a cation- anion - mixed bed setup.

Brymac1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Available space. I don't have enough to keep a storage container of degassing water to equal to the RODI I usually keep on hand.
You could build a simple DIY in-line CO2 degasser. Which is what I did because I was swapping DI resin every 40 gallons, now I get much longer life out of it.

OP
OP
Phyber

Phyber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could build a simple DIY in-line CO2 degasser. Which is what I did because I was swapping DI resin every 40 gallons, now I get much longer life out of it.

Do you have any build info or photos? How do you have it plumbed in relation to where a booster pump goes? I would think a chamber wouldn't tolerate high pressures...But a 4" vertical pipe could fit in my laundry room behind the washer...

Brymac1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you have build info or photos for reference?

There are pictures in my build thread. I had trouble using gravity feed and switched to a pump but I think the proble was with a defective resin cartridge. I had problems with the pump also until I changed out the resin.

OP
OP
Phyber

Phyber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are pictures in my build thread. I had trouble using gravity feed and switched to a pump but I think the proble was with a defective resin cartridge. I had problems with the pump also until I changed out the resin.

Since I'm using a booster pump, and an autoshutoff valve on my topoff storage tank that the RODI is plumbed to, won't I have issues with an open design like this chamber? I have everything currently mounted to the utility room wall, won't I have to gravity feed everything?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I'm using a booster pump, and an autoshutoff valve on my topoff storage tank that the RODI is plumbed to, won't I have issues with an open design like this chamber? I have everything currently mounted to the utility room wall, won't I have to gravity feed everything?

I do not know. I do not have my RODI system tied to my top off container. How much water are you making at a time?

OP
OP
Phyber

Phyber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know. I do not have my RODI system tied to my top off container. How much water are you making at a time?
If I do a water change, I end up filling a 20g Brute. I have a 35g norwesco in the crawlspace that holds my ATO water...I run that about an hour or so every week until the autoshut off kicks on.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I do a water change, I end up filling a 20g Brute. I have a 35g norwesco in the crawlspace that holds my ATO water...I run that about an hour or so every week until the autoshut off kicks on.

OK. I thought maybe you were short cycling the RODI system.

Back