Will Alk/Ca hold up in stored saltwater? | BRStv Investigates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

How long do you store your mixed saltwater?

• Mix and use

Votes: 22 12.2%
  • 1-6 hrs

Votes: 12 6.6%
  • 6-12 hrs

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • 1 day

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • 2 days

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • 3-5 days

• 1wk

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • 2wks

Votes: 30 16.6%
  • 3wks

• 1 month

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • More than a month

Votes: 13 7.2%
  • Other (comment your thoughts)

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

HomeSlizzice

Wrasse/Angelfish nut!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any intentions of adding your test results on the individual product page on the website?

OP
OP
randyBRS

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any intentions of adding your test results on the individual product page on the website?

I'd say that this isn't very likely. If the data was collected in a more accurate and scientific type of way, such as dozens of batch testing for each brand with high-end laboratory equipment; perhaps that would be more valuable versus a single test using hobby grade kits and "Randy's" interpretation of when the titration changed color.

What we can take away from the results here, is that hobbyists at home (with the same type of equipment and conditions) can get a better idea of what's really happening in the storage bin, without spending the time and $$ to run the same tests on their own. :)

James210ReefLife

James'210reefLife
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say that this isn't very likely. If the data was collected in a more accurate and scientific type of way, such as dozens of batch testing for each brand with high-end laboratory equipment; perhaps that would be more valuable versus a single test using hobby grade kits and "Randy's" interpretation of when the titration changed color.

What we can take away from the results here, is that hobbyists at home (with the same type of equipment and conditions) can get a better idea of what's really happening in the storage bin, without spending the time and $$ to run the same tests on their own. :)

And that, right there, is why i appreciate BRS so darn much!!
Sure they can put on their lab coats and use a laboratory and high end equipment...
I use a brute can... After water change Sunday I fill her back up until next Sunday.
Sometimes I miss a Sunday and it's stored until the next Sunday.
I do however have it circulating and heated so it's ready at an instant if needed. I'm looking forward to the heated/circulated follow up video.

So yeah... Thank You Randy and BRS!!

DavidMiller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been mixing and letting it sit until clear in 5 gallon buckets and then using. A Huge PITA!
After watching this video, I'm getting another Brute this weekend to store my SW now.
That will make life so much easier. And I'll probably keep a better WC schedule. Like the one I'm supposed to keep.
Thanks for efforts, But my fish and corals probably thank you more!

David Miller

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been mixing and letting it sit until clear in 5 gallon buckets and then using. A Huge PITA!
After watching this video, I'm getting another Brute this weekend to store my SW now.
That will make life so much easier. And I'll probably keep a better WC schedule. Like the one I'm supposed to keep.
Thanks for efforts, But my fish and corals probably thank you more!

David Miller
Yeah, We’re all lazy that way! I’ve found on multiple occasions that setting things up to make them easy makes it much more likely for me to do them. Part of it is a time issue, too. If I have a short amount of time I can get maintenance stuff done if it’s set up to be efficient. Things like cleaning my sump...well....

Another advantage of having a large reservoir for mixing salt water is that I have enough on hand for emergencies. My QT is 29gallons, so even if it’s totally dry, I can fill it up and have it running within an hour. Likewise, If I have some fish in QT and realize that the ammonia levels have spiked I can do a quick 15 gallon water change without a problem.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back